Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a New Set of KYB Rear Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Last930
While cleaning out a house for an estate sale I found a an unused set of of KYB gas charged rear shocks for a 914; cross referencing the part # shows they will fit my '73 2.0. There is also a set of Weltmeister progressive wound springs; doesn't say what the pound rating is. I assume they were originally ordered at the same time as the shocks.

I have no experience with KYB shocks - any input from those that have used them? I have to think they would be an improvement over what appears to be the original shocks that the car came with.

The springs came in a Weltmeister box, but have no p/n on them. They appear to have never been used. My guess would be that the springs and shocks were both ordered at the same time quite some time ago, but never installed on the 914.

Thoughts or comments?
Java2570
I had a set on the rear of my '74 when I got it, found them very harsh and unpleasant. I prefer the Boge replacements I installed....
messix
try them out, easy to install.

if they are too stiff try the stock springs.
bandjoey
What color are the spring markings? (Like 3 green paint marks on black springs. )
KELTY360
I have no personal experience, but I've heard that KYB stands for Kill Your Butt. shades.gif
mepstein
I've had them. They suck. If you need something to use until your koni, bilstein or boge's show up that's understandable. Otherwise, they suck.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Nov 24 2014, 02:03 PM) *
I had a set on the rear of my '74 when I got it, found them very harsh and unpleasant.

KYB = Kill Your Back

They don't deserve to be called "shock absorbers" ...
dry.gif
Last930
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 24 2014, 04:47 PM) *

What color are the spring markings? (Like 3 green paint marks on black springs. )

The springs have a silver stripe on one side.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2014, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Nov 24 2014, 02:03 PM) *
I had a set on the rear of my '74 when I got it, found them very harsh and unpleasant.

KYB = Kill Your Back

They don't deserve to be called "shock absorbers" ...
dry.gif

agree.gif you, are the shock absorber!
aircooledtechguy
I tried a set a long time ago with stock springs. The rear of the car was raised 1" simply by installing them, made my headlights point at the ground. It's a good thing I had a good medical/dental plan. . . dry.gif I pulled them back off and went back to stock until I could spring for Konis on all 4 corners.

Koni's. . . Now THOSE are shocks!! driving.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Last930 @ Nov 24 2014, 05:25 PM) *

Only the stock springs were identified with one, two or three green stripes. Measure the diameter of the steel rod used to make the spring. Stock 100 lb is 10mm, 140 lb is 11 mm, 180 is 12 mm.
Larmo63
My black progressive Weltmeisters have a VERY faint '180' on the outer edge. Look for it. I used Boges with them and they are great.
rgalla9146
Use them during assembly to roll the car around the shop.
EdwardBlume
Install them but wear a mouth guard while you are driving... laugh.gif
OU8AVW
I'm saving up for Konis. I do find that the KYBs work well while the car sits on jack stands blink.gif
Last930
Damn, I thought I lucked out with a free set of shocks - kinda see why now! Anyone want to buy a new set of KYB shocks cheap??
SLITS
I had them on one car. Yes, they are stiff, but so what.

If they cost nothing, you've got nothing to lose.

I'd use them until I could afford what I wanted.
jvmarino
I have had KYB shocks on my 2.0 for the last 15 years, and find them to be perfectly acceptable. The ride is firm, but not too bad, and at the time I purchased them, a lot less investment than the other options. Of all my vintage cars, my 914 with the KYB's has the smoothest ride.

I have never done any comparisons, but agree that if you have these already for no cost, I would say use them. If you want to change later, it is a pretty easy task to perform.

Jim
Kraftwerk
I have new-ish KYB on my car and I have no problem with them what so ever, suspension is stiff and works for me..
Last930
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 24 2014, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Last930 @ Nov 24 2014, 05:25 PM) *

Only the stock springs were identified with one, two or three green stripes. Measure the diameter of the steel rod used to make the spring. Stock 100 lb is 10mm, 140 lb is 11 mm, 180 is 12 mm.

The spring diameter is 11.3 mm - 150?
rhodyguy
What is your assessment of your front inserts? Do you think they are spent? Inserts can be had inexpensively. If you're on a tight budget, anything new on all four corners is going be an improvement (IMHO). Drive on smooth roads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.