Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car is a 72
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I wanted to know how would a 1.9L (BBK) 71 engine # W 0 074 343 would mix with a 72 FI system????

I've researched the FI parts and have found that the ECU that I have is Bosch 0 280 000 037 for 1972 engines, but the other associated parts, with the exception of the Throttle Switch cover both ranges (71-72 years).

I'm not at all well versed on the FI harness and it's compatibility either?

Her idling is "on roller coaster mode," sometimes she is just fine, and others she pisses me off.

I've read the Carb vs FI banter and really want to stick with the FI, but I need some real help on how this FI #$%^ works. I've read Paul Anders, Kjell Nelin articles and have done most of the parts testing.

Help anyone? IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

thanks,
tat2dphreak
I am under the impression that all the djet parts are prety much interchangable... I'll let one of the FI gurus confirm/deny this, but I don't think there were many changes between years among the djet parts...

one thing... there is no difference between a 1.7 "W" and a 1.7 "EA" either... they are the same engine in every way, I'm told.
martinef1963
Bump - need some help here from the "FI Gurus."

thanks, confused24.gif
markb
Don't the ECU & MPS have to match?
Joe Bob
Will it work? Sure,.....will it run great? Maybe.....have you had it running or are you just putting together parts?
mightyohm
Do you have a 1.7L or a 1.9L?

The year of the engine vs the car doesn't have as much to do with things as the increase in displacement to a 1.9L does. It will probably not run right unless you tweak the MPS to compensate.
martinef1963
The car is a 1972 and has modified to a 1.9L by a Big Bore Kit. I did a bunch of research because she idles funny all the time. She does run, but I notice that she consumes way too much gas, and after I shut her down in the garage there is a strong GAS smell coming from the engine comartment.

I always stick my head in the engine compartment to see if there is a gas leak and I do feel around the fuel filter, fuel pump to make sure there are no leaks.

As I mentioned before: by reading the Anders FI guidance I've found that all the FI that are in my car are compatible, however, the ECU is for a 1972. I have to take a look at the TPS to see what the numbers are for that.

I'm hoping she is all compatible, but still wanted the pros to tell me if a 1972 FI is compatible with a 1971 engine.

thanks guys for the continued support you have provided me. this site is the greatest for technical advise.

cheers,

Fernando
mightyohm
Just because the FI stuff is compatable doesn't mean it will run right.

You have changed one variable of the engine (the displacement) without changing the FI to match, unless the MPS or some other component has been modified. It is possible someone put 2.0L injectors or some other parts in to try and compensate, so check those. If the camshaft is non stock you are really in for some fun because the stock FI was not meant to deal with cam changes at all.

The gas smell in the engine compartment could be because it is running rich (likely because of modified/hacked components or non stock cam) or because you really do have a leak somewhere. The injectors themselves can leak at the body and gas will pool up on the engine tin. There are several other hose connections in the system - fuel pressure regulator, etc, and there can be leaks there too. Does the exhaust smell like gas or is it really coming from inside the engine compartment?
Rhodes71/914
I am by no means an expert but have been learning about this FI system since I got my car.

The MPS must be calibrated to your engine, not sure how this works with a 1.9 since you are in between the 1.7 and the 2.0. You could ask Bowlsby here is a member here that does mps calibrations.

The cam is a big issue as noted already, if it was changed you will have probs most likely.

Did they change the injectors with the bigger P/Cs? That could be an issue.

I know that you said you have been to Brad Anders site and I would recommend reading it several times with each specific question you have. Everytime I go back to it I learn something more.

Last thing I can say is good luck and let us know how it comes out.
martinef1963
The car drove from California to Atlanta without any problems - the idle has always been an issie even when it had the original 1.7. The engine was swapped out with a 1.9L (BBK) - I have sent my mechanic an e-mail asking if the CAM is stock so I will have more info to offer once he gets back with me. It sat in Atlanta for another year and then was driven down to Miami.

The ECU and MPS are compatible - the one I have on the car is compatible with 71/72 ECUs - so I don't think that is the problem and I did the vacumn/ohm test and it held 25 PSI for over 5 minutes. On the ohm side of the house I got a 090 from terminal 7 & 15 were 90 ohms, and between 8 & 10 they were 360. Now the book calls for 350, but I don't think the difference is that significant - if I'm wrong please someone let me know.

I found the source of the gas smell in my engine compartment - looks like one of the injector on the passenger side has a leak - I haven't been able to isolate which one - I will probably switch both of them.

speaking of which - the injectors are still yellow - for the 1.7L.

Maybe I will get Mr.Bowlsby opinion on my situation.

I have purchased a 1971 ECU, FI harness, and engine harness and I will be installing them to see if there was a compatibility problem. I will keep you guys posted.

If that fails - I'm contemplating going CARBs - I'm almost at my wits end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.