Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crack in Drivers Side Long?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc
Hello World,

Having been working on what I call my "Yellow Submarine" for a quite awhile now.

This car has damage in the long at the Hell Hole, damage in the front right, rear right, Both vent holes at the doors are toast. I was welding on a patch yesterday in the driver's side front wheel well and kept blowing through as the metal I was trying to weld to was toast. Both floor boards and center cross supports were toast and the floors are now cut out and I have got to put major patches on the tunnel. Then I see out of the corner of my eye what looks like a crack on the driver's side long in front of the parking brake indentation. I take the wire wheel to it and sure enough a crack about 3 inches long? The car is on a rotisserie, but I have built in horizontal supports while I am welding on the long and floor boards. I do not think this crack happened while on the rack as I put two support braces on each side attached to hinges and safety belt bolts.
I think I may be at the point that this chassis needs to go away as in become a aquatic reef piece in the Gulf of Mexico, everywhere I look I run into more rust.

My plan was to put new floor pans, Engman stiffening kit and other goodies but as I have six ready to mount, but I am seriously questioning this rust buckets bones as it has it everywhere and I am tired of making things better. I do not possess Jeff Hail skills and this turd needs more work than I can provide.

I have attached pictures of the crack I found yesterday please chime in on your thoughts, and It looks like I am in the market for a good roller, I have everything else needed to get rolling again, I just have lost total confidence in getting this rust bucket road worthy, knowing that certain areas are just not going to be able to be saved without Jeff Hail type surgery.

I honestly think I would be way ahead picking up a decent chassis and moving forward. I took my Daily Driver to the Okteenerfest and can honestly say the Yellow Submarine could not make it through the Tail of the Dragon.

Thanks,
Vysoc flag.gif

Vysoc
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
Didn't read your post, but that's normal. They all crack there. Seen 100 times.
GeorgeRud
Engman inner stiffening kit and Brad Mayeur's outer long kit and that thing will be a tank!
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 24 2014, 04:13 PM) *

Correction, later cars all crack there. They changed the shape of the recess in the long when they switched to the newer handbrake style.

Early cars only break there if you put a lot of twisting stress on the chassis. For example if the car is autocrossed a lot with sticky tires.
smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2014, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 24 2014, 04:13 PM) *

Correction, later cars all crack there. They changed the shape of the recess in the long when they switched to the newer handbrake style.

Early cars only break there if you put a lot of twisting stress on the chassis. For example if the car is autocrossed a lot with sticky tires.
smile.gif

Which none of us would ever do, right....

agree.gif they all crack.
Dont worry, weld it up.

Rich
McMark
agree.gif
peteyd
our try our overlays for a factory look finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrmUHRfbCs
Gudhjem
Your crack looks just like mine.

See post #1: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=115210&hl=
Larmo63
"Your crack looks just like mine."

GeorgeRud
The Restoration Design overlay piece looks great as well. Nice video explaining how to install!
r_towle
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 25 2014, 04:53 PM) *

The Restoration Design overlay piece looks great as well. Nice video explaining how to install!

now if they would offer a portable service to come to your home and install it, everything would be perfect.

Rich
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 24 2014, 06:27 PM) *

Engman inner stiffening kit and Brad Mayeur's outer long kit and that thing will be a tank!

With Engman gone I don't think that kit is available any more.

The Brad Mauyer kit is good. It ties reinforces the longs and ties it to the rear suspension console as well. I have one on my car. Worth the money.

Mueller
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2014, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 24 2014, 06:27 PM) *

With Engman gone I don't think that kit is available any more.

The Brad Mauyer kit is good. It ties reinforces the longs and ties it to the rear suspension console as well. I have one on my car. Worth the money.

What happened to Engman?

I thought I saw a kit in the classifieds by a Maddog?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 26 2014, 12:24 PM) *

What happened to Engman?

He passed away October 25, 2012.

Engman Memorial Thread

Mark Bland Obit.
McMark
Yup, MadDog is making the kits now. I helped make some improvements on fitment.
Mueller
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2014, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 26 2014, 12:24 PM) *

What happened to Engman?

He passed away October 25, 2012.

Engman Memorial Thread

Mark Bland Obit.

I missed that sad.gif Read it all...wow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.