Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Kombi CV joints ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barrym
I'm looking at the various driveline options for my Subaru conversion and have come up with the following - just wanted to run this past the collective - will it work & handle the torque of the Subaru EZ30 ?

http://www.subarugears.com/Pricing/Pricing.html

scroll down to the bottom for the subari mid engine kit - gearbox to CV adapter, mid diff lock & back plate for Subaru gearbox.

but my cv joints are 98mm on the '76 914 - so use VW Kombi cv joints

http://www.justkampers.com.au/211-598-101-...-1979-1992.html

these are 100mm OD & bolt PCD to match the Subaru box adapter & have been told are the same splines as the std 914 driveshafts ...

has anyone done this ?
Mark Henry
You are breaking new ground or at least it's been looked at and it wasn't worth the hassle.
It would be better to put something like "Subaru axle solutions" in your title.
DBCooper
That's how my WRX car was done. It's been quite some time now so not with the Subarugears parts, but the same way. It's worked well. The car's been shamefully abused and I've broken several outer CV's (the stock 914) but never one of the bus inners. No complaints. We're almost done doing another car using Subaru inner CV's so will be able to compare Real Soon Now.
Chris H.
I bet the Mustang guy complained DB... w00t.gif ... (private road, we don't know who the driver was, who knows if this is even your car, yada, yada, yada...)

Alleged shameful abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6JxpYwqUMs

That video just never gets old.
76-914
Keep in mind that DB is cranking out 330 ponies. Which series are you using; D or R? Looking forward to your build thread.
barrym
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 26 2014, 05:40 AM) *

That's how my WRX car was done. It's been quite some time now so not with the Subarugears parts, but the same way. It's worked well. The car's been shamefully abused and I've broken several outer CV's (the stock 914) but never one of the bus inners. No complaints. We're almost done doing another car using Subaru inner CV's so will be able to compare Real Soon Now.

Brilliant - thanks for the info ... were you using the type 2 bus joints ?

my build thread is in 'Aussie 914 restoration' still a way off installing the power plant but need to make some decisions on it sooner rather than later ...

in regards to D / R type joints - not sure what this is in reference to ?

Chris H.
D vs R is the engine type. the EZ30D is less powerful than the EZ30R. They're both quite good.
barrym
Ah, sorry

Probably will go ez30d for the ease of ecu ...

Still looking into the options as am not sure if the ecutek flash will give me the ability to delete the immobilizer check & other things on the ez30r.
By comparison, without going for a stand alone ecu, the ez30d seems to be an easier swap from a wiring / ecu perspective and only a few ponies less than the R.
Chris H.
You're right about the HP, not too much difference, and around here a "D" is much easier to find than an "R". Plenty of happy "D" converts here. Great engine.
JFJ914
Search on BIGKAT 83, he's done several Subi conversions and has solved the axle question.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.