Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building a cart
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Building a cart.

OK all I’m planning on building a cart to set the tub on. You know a wooden cart with wheels to move it around while I take the front and rear suspension pieces off. I already have a set of heavy duty wheels to use. Just need some ideas of what others have built and any pitfalls. I plan on setting the longs on it with the pinchwelds set into a groove cut into a board, sort of an open box on wheels.
Will I also need to provide support under the front of the pan and under the rear firewall area?
The rust repair has already been completed (thanks Chris) so I shouldn’t have to worry about it flexing too much.
Anyone have any pictures or drawings of theirs?
JStroud
I built one for my parts car, just 2x6 overlapped at the ends, I drilled holes and stuck my scaffold wheels under.....nothing fancy but it works.

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
Use large locking wheels. Don't undersize the wheels.
URY914
I used 5" steel wheels from Northern Tool.

Click to view attachment
BK911
I built a set of saw horses on casters. Since I am usually a one man operation. This allowed me to jack up the front, install one sh, then jack up the back and install the other. Once both are installed you can connect them together with a couple of 2x4s, but i never found that necessary. With a traditional cart you need to rely on buddies to help.
stevegm
Here is an interesting one that gets the car up pretty high, and lets you access the bottom of the car pretty well.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=213063

Plans:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=394445
mepstein
I left this with the PO.
scotty b
manufactured vs home built. 4x4 and 2x6's Had originally built for an oval window
about 12 years ago. It's had several different bodies on it since smile.gif

Put 2 fixed casters on one end and 2 rotating on the other, that makes it very easy to guide. I have one under a BMW the owner built and put rotaters on all the way around. PITA impossible to move by yourself as it wants to spin rather then roll in a straight line
Olympic 914
Thanks for the replies guys.

I Like the height of Steve's cart but wonder how I would get the car up on to it. of course I could adjust the measurements. this is kind of what I had in mind.
The plans are a bonus thanks..

BUT.

The cart that Jeff shows looks super simple to build, especially since I tend to over think things.

The ability to push it outside would be a plus, but I have a rather short ramp leading into my shed/garage that I would have to make sure I had clearance for. also a provision to strap the tub to the cart while going down the ramp so it doesn't slide off the cart. ratchet straps would probably do fine.
I use a winch to take it in and out of the garage now and it works pretty good but that's with the wheels on, and locking the steering with a bungie strap. it could get interesting with caster wheels. another good case for quality locking casters.

I came across these casters. rated for 1200# Waay more than I need but I like the 6" height. and locking feature with brake.

Click to view attachment

mepstein
A tub weighs 500-600lbs. The casters don't need to support much. Even the entire car on a stand is still just 500/wheel.
bandjoey
4 friends can easily help pick up the body to put it on the rack Have a party!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.