Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Word association question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
stevegm
I have a potential project that I am considering. And I am looking for a word (or multiple words) that says "Porsche sports car," without actually saying the word "Porsche."

I considered - Rennsport. But, it screams racing (which is not my primary focus), and it seems so overused.

I know it is an odd request. But, I appreciate the help. Any ideas?
Elliot Cannon
Auto racing? confused24.gif
falcor75
A Porsche specialized shop about 50 miles from me here in Sweden
podiummotorsports
To me it means racing because I have seen it used for many race teams. Rennwerks was a race team out of the bay area and I know a number of shops that use Renn to start their names.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 01:10 PM) *

What do you think of when you see the word - Rennsport

I know it is an odd question. But, I am wanting to clarify whether - Rennsport - says racing to people. I know the word - Renn - means "race" in German. But, is it used strictly for race cars. Or is a general sports car term? Is there another term that is not limited to idea of racing?

In Germany "Rennsport" is more or less exclusively used for actual racing.

You don't normally use it to describe street legal sports cars.
smile.gif
jcd914
I always think of Porsche race cars, not just race cars.

Jim
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 01:10 PM) *

What do you think of when you see the word - Rennsport

I know it is an odd question. But, I am wanting to clarify whether - Rennsport - says racing to people. I know the word - Renn - means "race" in German. But, is it used strictly for race cars. Or is a general sports car term? Is there another term that is not limited to idea of racing?

In Germany "Rennsport" is more or less exclusively used for actual racing.

You don't normally use it to describe street legal sports cars.
smile.gif

Thanks. That is what I figured. I am looking for a word that describes both street and race. Rennsport is too racy for me. :-)
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 03:21 PM) *
Thanks. That is what I figured. I am looking for a word that describes both street and race. Rennsport is too racy for me. :-)

What is the actual context you want to use it for?
idea.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 03:21 PM) *

What is the actual context you want to use it for?
idea.gif

I am just looking for a word that says - Porsche sports car - without actually saying the word Porsche. It is for a possible project. As I know you know, Porsche is ruthless in the protection of their trademarks. I remember when we founded the 986 club in 1995, the editorial column was initially called - Boxster Shorts. Cute name. But, we got a nice letter from Porsche on that one. :-)
Krieger
How about $
Rleog
"Carrera" too narrow?
messix
tail dragger/ ass dragger
stevegm
QUOTE(Rleog @ Nov 26 2014, 06:59 PM) *

"Carrera" too narrow?

Probably. And I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche trademarked that too. :-)
Johny Blackstain
How about "Carrerawerks"? Screams Porsche to me & says finger.gif to the lawyers, carajo! Spanish word that they stole back in the 50's from the old "Carrera Panamericana", which they always seemed to kick a** in biggrin.gif I'm thinking even if they threaten a lawsuit they could never win. Yes, they do "own" 911 Carrera but legaly speaking I don't think they could do squat with Carrerawerks.
stevegm
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 26 2014, 07:06 PM) *

How about "Carrerawerks"? Screams Porsche to me & says finger.gif to the lawyers, carajo! Spanish word that they stole back in the 50's from the old "Carrera Panamericana", which they always seemed to kick a** in biggrin.gif I'm thinking even if they threaten a lawsuit they could never win. Yes, they do "own" 911 Carrera but legaly speaking I don't think they could do squat with Carrerawerks.

Love it. But, when it comes to lawsuits it isn't always about who is right/wrong. With intellectual property, the first person that runs out of money loses. I wish I could give you more info. But, I am just not sure I am going to tackle the project. It isn't for a shop, or a parts business, or anything any of the vendors here produce. Completely different. My primary focus is the 914. But, I admittedly could see doing some stuff with the 356 and 911. But, it is all classic, air-cooled Porsche.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 08:13 PM) *

Love it. But, when it comes to lawsuits it isn't always about who is right/wrong. With intellectual property, the first person that runs out of money loses. I wish I could give you more info. But, I am just not sure I am ready. It isn't for a shop, or a parts business, or anything any of the vendors here produce. Completely different. My primary focus is the 914. But, I admittedly could see doing some stuff with the 356 and 911. But, it is all classic, air-cooled Porsche.

Sounds like you're building a hot/unique 914 & want a custom name for it, like Ricks "the Alien". Doesn't scream Porsche but we all know what it is. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
Fahrvergnügen

Means: The joy you get out of driving (a vehicle)
smile.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 08:48 PM) *

Fahrvergnügen

smile.gif

I think it is trademarked by VW.
dw914six
Love the sound of that name...but makes me think VW....(guess thats ok since they own Porsche AG).

Classical Element sunglasses.gif

(Air is one of the 4 Classical Elements.)

You have chosen a difficult assignment. Its hard renaming a brand so well known.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 05:48 PM) *

Fahrvergnügen

smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 06:04 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 08:48 PM) *
Fahrvergnügen

smile.gif

I think it is trademarked by VW.

How can they trademark a word that's been around forever?
confused24.gif

They did use it in an Ad campaign in the '90s but they certainly didn't invent the word.
dry.gif
RickS
Classic Air Werkes
German Air Werkes
Nine Series Air Cooled
Stuttgart Air Werkes
Stuttgart Sport Werkes
Stuttgart Air Cooled
1970 Neun vierzehn
'PanzerWagen"
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
"clubsport" is the name Porsche gave to cars they made to be equally at home on road or track...911 CS, 968 CS, and even a 928 CS...There was a shop named Klub Sport...maybe spelled different to avoid "the letter". confused24.gif

Andrew
Johny Blackstain
Targa also comes to mind as a word that says Porsche w/out saying Porsche. Probably hold the rights to that one too, but I believe it's Italian, as Carrera is Spanish, & could possibly be used for whatever purposes.
r_towle
Pcar
German air
9-air (cooled)
drbill
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 26 2014, 07:29 PM) *

'PanzerWagen"

That was already used as a nickname for the Mercedes SL. Just saw it on TV. popcorn[1].gif
boxsterfan
Luft Tropfen (air drop).

I always think of the 911 as a tear drop shape.

Of course, if you are looking for our fair square 914 then it is:

Luft Platz

Almost fitting isn't it?
VegasRacer
permagrin biggrin.gif
boxsterfan
Velocita
boxsterfan
Versteckte Rost
tweet
P9+
Edchina
Why not consider SPORTWAGEN
EdwardBlume
Just go through a PCA mag or Excellence for shop names. They do the work for you.

Here are some other ideas:

Ferry German Werks
Stuttgart Productions
German Performance Autowerks
Nuremberg Ring Sled
German P-car Performance

Good luck!
stevegm
Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I am still looking for a word (or multiple words) that kinda says Porsche 914, or classic Porsche, without saying the word "Porsche," and also may provide a little freedom to add other classic Porsches (356, 911, etc.). I am thinking about - Clubsport - right now. But, please give me other suggestions if you have them.
scotty b
check with Andy for proper context but :

Mitte sport = middle sports

Zurucke ende motorwerks = back end motor works

Hintere Hälfte motorwerks - back half motor works
SirAndy
QUOTE(Edchina @ Nov 27 2014, 03:31 AM) *

agree.gif

That would be more generic and a much better fit ...
smile.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2014, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Edchina @ Nov 27 2014, 03:31 AM) *

agree.gif

That would be more generic and a much better fit ...
smile.gif

Really? Sportwagen better than Clubsport?

When I see SportWagen I think of station wagon. And VW used SportWagen for their station wagon.
EdwardBlume
I don't think 914 is out of bounds. After all, Porsche discontinued it.

How about World 914 Sport?
stevegm
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 27 2014, 02:08 PM) *

How about World 914 Sport?

For the longest time it was well recognized in intellectual property that a series of numbers could not be trademarked. Which is kinda odd, because that was how we ended up with the 911 (it was originally the 901, but, Peugeot objected to any series with the - 0 - in the middle). But, more recently Porsche has claimed that they have trademarks on the various numbers of their cars.
boxsterfan
Meepmeep Motors
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 27 2014, 11:08 AM) *

Wrong you are. Porsche claims "914" as a common law trademark in the US ...
shades.gif
mr2by4
Could you get away with "Excellence"?

What about using the layout of the motor as opposed to the air-cooled nature. Horizontal power
Opposed Forces
Flat Force
Flat Power
Flat Works (or Flatwerks)
Boxed/Boxer Performance

Hope you find something you like and go for it. It is always great to see someone pursuing their passion.
clapeza
From the Porsche tagline, "Porsche. There is no substitute.":

"No substitute" is "kein Ersatz"

At least that's what Google translate came up with.
stevegm
QUOTE(clapeza @ Nov 27 2014, 06:49 PM) *

From the Porsche tagline, "Porsche. There is no substitute.":

"No substitute" is "kein Ersatz"

At least that's what Google translate came up with.

I like that - Kein Ersatz. Not sure about an all German name, though.
matthepcat
Targawerk
Mark Henry
Nine Eleven Heaven
Larmo63
Schkvare und schlow
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2014, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 27 2014, 11:08 AM) *

Wrong you are. Porsche claims "914" as a common law trademark in the US ...
shades.gif

What a privilege to be trademarked! Its kind of a compliment! w00t.gif
jacksun
Fast track Überholspur

Fast time schnelle Zeit

Fast street car schnelle Straßenbahn

Apex auto Spitze auto

Chicane apex Chicane Spitze

Por sha apex porspitzesha

Elite wheels Elite- Räder

Sha wheels sha Räder

SirAndy
QUOTE(jacksun @ Nov 28 2014, 05:35 AM) *
Fast street car schnelle Straßenbahn

Please don't use that one, unless you're building fast streetcars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.