Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FG door skin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
So who is it that makes the FG door skin where you can remove the door and put the skin across and attach it to the door jams? Attach the skin with dzus fasteners.

That way you can totally eliminate the door, hinges and such. My doors are light, but using the skin only could lose 20+lbs.

Or I guess I could just mold a piece of lexan to match the door and leave enough on either side to attached to the door frame.

Is it hard to get Lexan to match a door contour?
Borderline
I found this:

914 fiberglass parts on evilbay
stownsen914
A couple others: www.rennspd.com - I saw this in another thread on this forum. No experience with their stuff, but it looks nice, and reasonably priced.
www.aircooledracing.com - Steve Limbert runs this shop, long time 914 guy. I bought door skins from him years ago for my 914 racecar.
Have I heard that High Performance House makes fiberglass body parts?

Scott
Woody
I have Rennspeeds bumpers, flares and a set of doorskins. I haven't installed the doorskins yet. The bumpers are nice but the fit could be a little better for the front one. The flares are nice and fit well. Everything is very light especially the flares. They've taken some cone hits without cracking. The doorskins are just that, a skin with no provisions for mounting. I stripped a set of steel doors so I can use the frame but have not put it all together yet. They would probably dzus fasten on fairly easily.
Randal
QUOTE(Borderline @ Nov 28 2014, 09:19 PM) *

That's the one Bill. biggrin.gif

As weight reduction goes this one is pretty cheap. A bit over 20#.

Think I will utilize your smart move and glue them on.
Woody
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 29 2014, 10:30 AM) *

Those look exactly like what I have.
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 29 2014, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 29 2014, 10:30 AM) *

Those look exactly like what I have.

So there is enough on the sides to mount to the door frames?
Woody
I'd have to epoxy them in place. It doesn't look like its going to be easy. Dzus fasteners would work in a pinch.
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 29 2014, 02:06 PM) *

I'd have to epoxy them in place. It doesn't look like its going to be easy. Dzus fasteners would work in a pinch.

How many would you need to use on each side?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.