Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Problem; headlight motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
two914-6s
Hello,
I started my car and moved it the other night. When I turned on the lights, I had a small puff of smoke in the cabin. a slight smell of wire burning. The lights worked, dim at first and then normal when I revved a little. When I turned the car off the lights stayed up.
All the wires appear normal and the fuses are all in tacked. I think it may be in the switch. I have unhooked the battery and left it that way. I have a friend with a shop that can fix it but I'd thought I would post and see what info the group might have. I was wondering if I should just buy a new light switch, and try to change it?
Thanks in advance
Dave
matthepcat
QUOTE(two914-6s @ Nov 27 2014, 12:48 PM) *

Hello,
I started my car and moved it the other night. When I turned on the lights, I had a small puff of smoke in the cabin. a slight smell of wire burning. The lights worked, dim at first and then normal when I revved a little. When I turned the car off the lights stayed up.
All the wires appear normal and the fuses are all in tacked. I think it may be in the switch. I have unhooked the battery and left it that way. I have a friend with a shop that can fix it but I'd thought I would post and see what info the group might have. I was wondering if I should just buy a new light switch, and try to change it?
Thanks in advance
Dave

If you turn the car on, are the lights still on?

Does the switch do anything when pushed in or out?

Relays could be a problem as well.
two914-6s
yes the lights work
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 27 2014, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(two914-6s @ Nov 27 2014, 12:48 PM) *

Hello,
Thanks in advance
Dave

If you turn the car on, are the lights still on?

Does the switch do anything when pushed in or out?

Relays could be a problem as well.

matthepcat
Do the motors raise and lower when the ignition is on, or are they stuck in the up position?
two914-6s
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 27 2014, 08:36 PM) *

Do the motors raise and lower when the ignition is on, or are they stuck in the up position?

Stuck in the up position.
I manually lowered then the next day
Dave
Mike Bellis
There are grey and green wire from the light switch to the relays next to the light motors. One is hot in the up HL switch position and the other is hot in the down HL switch position. There is also a red at the relay that is always hot. Pull a relay and see if you measure the correct on/off functions of the circuit.

If not switching correctly, check the headlight switch and fuse panel.

If the relay wires switch, check for a faulty relay or motor.
ClayPerrine
This may help...

How your headlight motors work.

pcar916
If you haven't already, you might check out the entire wiring harness under the dash for wires melted together, especially in the big tight bundles. They hide sometimes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.