Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car painting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
swood
There is another 914 next to mine getting prepped for paint at Barry's shop in San Clemente. Is it anyone's in the group here?

driving-girl.gif
Larmo63
I'm in San Clemente, I only wish mine was that far along. Where is Barry's? I'd go by and take a look at his work…..?
swood
B&M. Around the corner from the Rainbow store. Just thought it was random that two green 914's find there way into the shop at the same time.
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 27 2014, 07:16 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif

Yeah, Rick will critique the quality of work for you too! biggrin.gif

I've judged some 911s that came thru B&M, but can't tell how well they did what's under the paint once I see it done, but it was a good finish as I recall. They usually sponsor with a booth/tent at our OCR concours in Dana Point every June.
swood
yeah yeah yeah...

They've done a few of my trucks body and paint repair due to 405 fun... I think i have my own repair menu there. Last time was the right side #4 special. smash.gif

Here's a couple shots from this week.

swood
like a joke. So a third 914 strolled into Barry's paint shot this week... He's painting 3. and #2 has my headlight covers. It's going swimmingly.
Cuda911
Ha, before Larmo chimed in, I would have bet $20 that it was his car.

"Like a joke. So a third 914 strolled into Barry's paint shot this week."

So, a Rabbi, a Priest, and a 914 walk into a bar......
mbseto
A 914 walks into a bar and says, "Gimme a beer... and a mop."
swood
Now i have to pick the paint color. I thought it would be easier to just match the stock color. Anyone know how to find the formula for Palma Green Metallic?

On the attached chart i think i found one that looks pretty close.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
That is almost as rare as owning 2 91s, and finding out the guy that is having the house built next door has owned a 914 since it was new.

Cool....

Needs more pictures.

swood
and just noticed a guy 3 doors down has one in his driveway. and saw one driving through Lakewood Sunday. They just aren't that rare around here. Seems i see a different one on the road every week.
swood
So guys, any advice on getting the correct color 40 years later? Rick?
RenoRoger
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 23 2014, 09:39 PM) *

I walked into a store called Industrial Finishes, industrialfinishes.com, in Reno, NV yesterday. Gave them the paint code of my 1973 914, L 96B, Alaska Blue. They put the code into their computer and out came the answer. Yes, they can match it: Ful-thane Urethane SS 36028 IB B Std # 641498. Whatever all that means. They said I needed 2 quarts plus reducer and hardener, plus 1 qt of catalyzed type of primer. Total cost about $208. The paint is lead free.
Cuda911
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Dec 23 2014, 10:47 PM) *

The paint is lead free.

Thank goodness! Now anyone can safely lick your 914!!
r_towle
If you have a piece of the car with the Original paint on it, you can bring it to a good auto paint shop with a digital camera and they can use the technology to match the color. Underside of the headlight cover...nice and flat, typically not prepped.

if you cannot do that, you may be able to contact Willhoit Restorations.
He may be able to do a spray out for you of the original color and give you the matching formula based upon today's paints.
I have used him for the 356 colors, not sure how he supports the 914 colors.
swood
there is original paint under the rear deck lid so we'll color match it from a scan of that, its in nice shape. Going with PPG paint.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Dec 23 2014, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(swood @ Dec 23 2014, 09:39 PM) *

I walked into a store called Industrial Finishes, industrialfinishes.com, in Reno, NV yesterday. Gave them the paint code of my 1973 914, L 96B, Alaska Blue. They put the code into their computer and out came the answer. Yes, they can match it: Ful-thane Urethane SS 36028 IB B Std # 641498. Whatever all that means. They said I needed 2 quarts plus reducer and hardener, plus 1 qt of catalyzed type of primer. Total cost about $208. The paint is lead free.

I can pretty much guarantee that no professional will want to spray that. Gilson Autobody charged me $1000 for paint to paint just the sides of mine after flares. Gil is a friend. No pro wants to squirt with bad paint. They'll spend too much time trying to make it right...
McMark
E2409 looks pretty close to me, but that's based on a picture over the internet. wink.gif
swood
Really? I put the sheet over the paint and E2424 looked closest. but of course its a 1/4" hole... not going to be a weenie over it driving.gif
Chris H.
Palma Green Metallic is such a great, unusual color. You might want to consider ordering the exact color match or doing the scan over using that chart.
rgalla9146
I think ConeDodgers comment about Ful Thane means that there are paints and then there are paints that are much better.
A professional who has done high quality prep will not skimp on paint cost.
Only high quality, known brand products will do. Sikkens, Glasurit, Spies-Hecker and Duponts higher line and other recognized labels are what you want to use.
And they cost plenty.
Oh ! and Palma green ? mmmmmmmm.
drem914
How did the paint job turn out? Any pics on the final work? I need to get mine done and am looking for a reasonable shop in OC to get the work done. Preferably, one that has done 914s before.
abnrdo
How did your color match turn out? I have a Palma Green car as well. Would really love to see pics of the new paint!!

swood
They took the hood down to get it color matched. Don't know the outcome yet. I'll find out.
injunmort
the glasurit for my 72 Adriatic blue car was $900.00 for 3/4 of a gallon, no reducer or activator, just the paint
SirAndy
I bought my paint from Porsche. Had it shipped over from Germany.
smile.gif
Mikey914
I was able to get PPG paint from the formula they had on file, and it matches what I have under the front hood.
swood
PPG color match draw down. Looks pretty good to me

Click to view attachment
euro911
thumb3d.gif
abnrdo
wub.gif Just awesomeness!! Cant wait to have mine done!
swood
Progress

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
euro911
I'm GREEN with envy drooley.gif
rick 918-S
Nice. smile.gif
914_teener
That color is awesome.

stugray
Thread jack (due to the green car slant):

CHEATED!
IPB Image
3M 1080 vinyl wrap color "Matte Apple Green".

It is essentially "kawasaki ninja green" to the eye.
Bright side is that it was $220 worth of vinyl.
If I change my mind on the color or decide to paint, it peels right off.
The black is all paint. and all of the green had fresh primer as a base.

/Thread jack
euro911
Tell us more about the vinyl wrap. That's cool smile.gif
stugray
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 8 2015, 12:27 AM) *

Tell us more about the vinyl wrap. That's cool smile.gif

If thread jacking is to be avoided, we can move to here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=252266

But quick answer (copied from other thread):

It is "matte apple green" 3M 1080. I was worried that I could screw it up at first, but that material is nearly indestructible.
I bought extra material assuming I would ruin at least one panel during install but I didnt waste any.
I ordered 30 linear feet (150 sq feet for $320) and ended up using 21 linear feet for all you see done in the pics.
Another 4 linear feet (20 sq ft) would have done the front hood if I hadnt already painted it black.
I expect it to last years when only taken out for race weekends.
It cleans up nicely with just IPA & water.
swood
Yes please start a new thread and scrub this one. It's not that exciting but you know...

piratenanner.gif
swood
Yes please start a new thread and scrub this one. It's not that exciting but you know...

piratenanner.gif
euro911
NO NO NO!!! - Keep this thread alive, Steve chair.gif

The other thread is for the 3M vinyl wrap thing ...
Cairo94507
I agree, leave this thread alone- I want to see the paint work. Vinyl wraps.....that's a different thread.
stugray
QUOTE(swood @ Apr 9 2015, 08:59 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

I AM SOOOOO Sorry to have soiled your awe inspiring thread.
I will not dare to share green car bullshit ever again!

Scrub your own thread.

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
swood
I know. Totally epic driving-girl.gif
euro911
Well, you're getting a lot more accomplished than I am. I'm so far from paint that I don't even see the entrance to the tunnel, let alone any light dry.gif
swood
Anyone have a few pics of this area either finished or almost finished? Referring to the front side of the sail panel. The painter was wondering how all the vinyl and trim goes back on. Don't have my photos handy

Click to view attachment
euro911
Don't know if this is enough detail confused24.gif

IPB Image
PaulK
What was the ppg color code, is it a single stage or base and clear? coolpics.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(swood @ Apr 11 2015, 07:01 PM) *

Anyone have a few pics of this area either finished or almost finished? Referring to the front side of the sail panel. The painter was wondering how all the vinyl and trim goes back on. Don't have my photos handy

Click to view attachment

It needs to be painted body color all the way around, it shows in spots around the trim.
Harpo
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jan 10 2015, 04:57 PM) *

the glasurit for my 72 Adriatic blue car was $900.00 for 3/4 of a gallon, no reducer or activator, just the paint

My car is going in for paint next week and I'm also having it painted in Adriatic blue WOW that is expensive.

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.