Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front windshield sag
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
I've posted picture here before from January 1, 2014 showing my passenger (and drivers) longs as very clean. Floors in the car look clean. The hell hole needs repaired but the rust is mostly on the engine shelf and below. Yes, I am sure it is working its way down.

I was working on my passenger window (adjusting so it rolls up all the way). Targa top is off. When I shut the door, you seem to see the front windshield actually move quite a bit. Seems less pronounced on the drivers side.

I know this area (front windshield and frame) is not a particularly strong area of the car. Do they all just end up sagging some? And what can be done in the future when I tear this car down for restore?
McMark
There are quite a few interacting adjustments. You can 'tune' this out, but also look up the factory measurement between the windshield and the targa bar. It's something like 625mm. Make sure the car hasn't been tweaked.
EdwardBlume
I had some of this on Dads car after the passenger side door was hit in the early 80s. After significant DNR repair on the HH, it's a little better than it was, but I still have to open the door in an interesting way....
stevegm
Apparently a common issue. Here is a thread that deals with the issue:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=115714

Let me know how it goes addressing it. I have a car that is otherwise nearly perfect. And when you open the passenger door the windshield post moves. Drives me crazy.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 28 2014, 05:56 AM) *

Apparently a common issue. Here is a thread that deals with the issue:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=115714

Let me know how it goes addressing it. I have a car that is otherwise nearly perfect. And when you open the passenger door the windshield post moves. Drives me crazy.

My drivers side does it too. Just not quite as obvious.

I'm really wondering what can be done to support it in the future? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 28 2014, 01:03 PM) *
I'm really wondering what can be done to support it in the future? confused24.gif

Easy. After you bent the frame back into shape (by hand) tell your passengers (and drivers) to *not* use the top edge of the windshield to lift themselves up when getting out of the car.
shades.gif
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 28 2014, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 28 2014, 01:03 PM) *

Easy. After you bent the frame back into shape (by hand) tell your passengers (and drivers) to *not* use the top edge of the windshield to lift themselves up when getting out of the car.
shades.gif

+1 on this. Once you have "fixed" this problem on a car just by standing in the door opening and heaving up on the A-pillar, you will never let anyone, other than maybe your size 4 or less girlfriend, hang on the windshield when exiting the car. It was surprising, at least to me, how easy it was - no porta-power, jacks, levers - just a stout upward pull.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.