Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best muffler for 2.2l 911e engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
What is the best muffler in terms of performance for a 911e 2.2l conversion with carbs and MSDS headers? I prefer louder/ rumbling exhaust but I am mainly interested in performance. My 914/6 conversion will be used for spirited street driving. I would prefer to spend less than 1k. I had a flowmaster on my 2258 4cyl at one point that sounded and performed great. Would it be worthwhile to weld up some sort of flowmaster system or is there something available that would sound and perform better?
mepstein
there's never any 1 best but I like M&k exhaust. 2 in, 2 out RS style.
roblav1
The stock 911 muffler is actually pretty good for the smaller engines, especially if you find one with the mod that adds another outlet on the right side.
puffinator
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 28 2014, 04:39 PM) *

What is the best muffler in terms of performance for a 911e 2.2l conversion with carbs and MSDS headers? I prefer louder/ rumbling exhaust but I am mainly interested in performance. My 914/6 conversion will be used for spirited street driving. I would prefer to spend less than 1k. I had a flowmaster on my 2258 4cyl at one point that sounded and performed great. Would it be worthwhile to weld up some sort of flowmaster system or is there something available that would sound and perform better?

For sound, you can't beat M&K which is also known by RarlyL8 Motorsports. I have a 2 in 2 out on both my 3.2 and my 2.3. They are awesome!

Rob
tornik550
So I have narrowed it down to three. What is you opinion on each-

(Not in order)

1. Dansk sport race version $950

2. M&K $750

3. Patrick motorsports Sport muffler $675

The price is close enough so really just interested in sound and performance.

tornik550
I'm glad I started this thread. I had never heard of M&K exhaust before. I listened to a bunch of clips from various cars with the different exhaust and it seemed obvious that I should go wuh M&K. I just purchased one!
stownsen914
M&K makes pretty nice stuff. Probably any sport type muffler would work well on a smaller engine and sound appropriately loud smile.gif. If you're into DIY and saving some $, you can make something up using a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow like this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12468. I've always been partial to the sound of a Bursch 2 in, 1 out on 911 engines. Makes a nice raspy sound, also kinda loud, and cheaper than M&K and some of the others.

Scott
ChrisFoley
M&K is loud, and the two-in two-out design has a drone at or near cruising rpm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.