Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Gonna replace the very old spare with one of original size so carpet covered piece sits properly, right now it's is rocking and driving me nuts!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
codices
155 or 165 SR -15 on a 5.5 inch rim.
Ian Stott
QUOTE(codices @ Nov 29 2014, 12:48 PM) *

155 or 165 SR -15 on a 5.5 inch rim.

I punched that number in the Tire Rack website, message said no tires in that size. What did I do wrong? What are others using for a spare, that isn't too big for the carpet covered piece to fit properly?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
codices
Tire Rack shows a 165 R85- 15 which would work. I run 195's and the front cover fits quite well.
Dave_Darling
The 155s were for the 4.5" rims which were standard on the early cars. (Very few were delivered with those; almost all the dealers went with the upgraded 5.5" wheels for extra profit.)

Try 165/80-15. Tires used to not have "aspect ratio" numbers in their sizes, they ran 80% of the section width. So the equivalent to the most common original size is 165/80-15.

I don't remember any problems with fitting a 195-width tire in the stock spare location. Is it possible that your front trunk floor has been dented or damaged?

--DD
Ian Stott
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 29 2014, 03:56 PM) *

The 155s were for the 4.5" rims which were standard on the early cars. (Very few were delivered with those; almost all the dealers went with the upgraded 5.5" wheels for extra profit.)

Try 165/80-15. Tires used to not have "aspect ratio" numbers in their sizes, they ran 80% of the section width. So the equivalent to the most common original size is 165/80-15.

I don't remember any problems with fitting a 195-width tire in the stock spare location. Is it possible that your front trunk floor has been dented or damaged?

--DD

No damage, my car is actually in quite good shape as it spent most of it's life in California and has always been garaged and never winter driven since it has been in Canada. I don't even take it out if it's raining! The spare is a 205/60 15, probably older than 12 years and should be replaced just for that reason so I thought I would get the size that fits. The carpeted pad sits on the tire rather than where it should and it bugs me. Thanks for the info on the correct size.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Tom_T
Ian,

That 165/80R15 size tends to be hard to find & IIRC the Tire Crack one is a passenger car touring version, which may not matter if it's just your spare never to be rotated into service.

If all else fails locally or with Tire Crack - Lucas Tire, Universal, Coker, etc. also carry the Vredestien Sport+ in 165/80HR15 tubeless, which is correct for the 2L & -6, and their Sport in 165/80SR15 tubeless for 1.7/1.8 for about $110 IIRC. Lucas is in Ohio & IIRC so is Universal, but CAN may have similar vintage/classic car tire dealers too.

A local tire shop may be able to order them for you also, if you get the info online for them to see. I think TOD914 did that for his last 2 2L he restored/refreshed.

A lot of the early 911/912 & 914 guys have been using them, as well as some 356 guys I know around here for upsize from their stock "skinnies" (145 & 155).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
There you go...price is in Canadian dollars.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?Prod...de=ACC-C10-6654
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.