Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reuse lifters?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I'm working on doing a full rebuild on my 2.0L. At some point in the engine's life, the FI was replaced with carbs, but the cam was never changed accordingly. I'll be putting in a cam that is compatible with dual carbs. The lifters don't show really any signs of wear, is it OK to reuse them, or should I find new lifters too?
MartyYeoman
Once in a previous life, I had an engine rebuilt and the builder used stock lifters against a new Webcam cam. It lasted about 30k miles before the cam ate the faces off the lifters. If you are planning on replacing your cam plan on using matching lifters as well. It's a metallurgy thing. In fact, I think Webcam will only warranty their cams if you also use their lifters and their break-in lube. It's money well spent.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 29 2014, 02:44 PM) *

If you are planning on replacing your cam plan on using matching lifters as well. It's a metallurgy thing... It's money well spent.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I guess I'll just sell my stock cam & lifters. Are they worth anything?
VWTortuga336
From what I have read, it seems that adding a carb cam will be my best bet. Really just a curiosity question, how much would performance suffer if I ran carbs with my stock cam?
r_towle
Selling a used stock camshaft and lifter will net you little money, it any at all.

Using used lifters on a new camshaft will ruin both the lifters and the camshaft now a days....too much change in the base metal.
If you regrind your OEM camshaft, you might get away with it.
it is done all the time in the 356 world due to lack of available parts back in th day.

You leave quite a bit on the table by not going to a carbed camshaft,
Overall, with a relatively stock build, Fiji and carbs will produce about the same amount of power.

Rich
914Sixer
NEW camshaft needs NEW lifters.
Mark Henry
Lifters stay with the cam in the same order they came out.
Take two lifters and hold them face to face, if they are slightly convex they are OK. Check them all like this, also check cam for abnormal wear.
If the lifters are flat or concave they are done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.