Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN Ownership History
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
finisarmo
Hi All,

I'm trying to verify the odometer mileage on my '74 914. DMV records are nonexistent due to the old style VIN's that our cars have. Anybody have any luck tracing title transfers on these early '70 cars to verify the reported mileage at each transfer?

Thx!
Mark (SF Bay Area)

914Sixer
Not sure if it applies in CA but in Texas every time the car was inspected for the year, the mileage is recorded. Not sure how you would access that information though. Might be an avenue to explore.
hndyhrr
I think if you go online to the calif. dmv you can get the form for your cars registration, can't remember how much it costs. I was/am going to do this for the pumpkin and she is a california car since new. lets us know what you find out
Cairo94507
I believe you can obtain the registration history of your car through DMV I did that a few times in the past- but that was about 20 years ago. I see no reason they can't still do that.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 5 2014, 07:44 AM) *

I believe you can obtain the registration history of your car through DMV I did that a few times in the past- but that was about 20 years ago. I see no reason they can't still do that.

Yes, you can do that here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/online/vrr

However, it will probably NOT reveal anything of interest. For grins I did it for my car, which has been in the SF Bay Area all its life, and the records only went back to 2007, and the only thing the report showed was the date of registration and the cost.
SKL1
Imagine they would never be very accurate- everyone here must know how reliable that angle drive is off the transaxle!!
Cairo94507
The only suggestion I would have is to try to speak with a DMV Investigator (yes they have their own investigators) and see if it is possible to obtain a complete history. I have done that in the past and obtained all previous owners on the car I was looking into at the time. If you talk to a DMV counter person, you will learn nothing. Check with some of the local car clubs and see if anyone has a connection with DMV to get a car-friendly investigator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.