Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fule pump removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
Whats the best tool to remove the clamp holding the fuel pump on?
The pump is in its original spot under the rear of the passenger seat and is most likely the original one. I've disconnected all the lines but i'm having a tough time getting behind the pump with a wrench or socket, there is so little room.
Plus the rust has added more enjoyment to this seemingly straightforward task!

Thanks
Steve
dangrouche
you need to unbolt the two nuts on the rubber mounts and the whole unit, pump and bracket come off. doing it the way you describe is pretty difficult because it
OEM bolt is barely long enough
EdwardBlume
They are 7 or 8MM bolts on the clamp mounted to the body. They attach either through the body or the other side under the curve of the clamp. Not easy to get up and in there. Can be done if you get the car up.
74ravenna
I have the car up enough and can get my fingers on the nuts behind the underside of the clamp, I just can't seem to get enough torque on the short wrench that fits up in there.
i'll keep after it.

Thanks Guys.
wndsnd
Steve

Spray the nuts with PB Blaster or you favorite penetrant and let sit for a few days.

That is a tough area and most of the nuts break off the studs.

I think I ended cutting them off.

John
rdgabert
Just having done this the easiest way I found was to use a 10mm crows foot and remove the two nuts holding the fuel pump bracket to the rubber mounts.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Nov 30 2014, 01:01 PM) *

I have the car up enough and can get my fingers on the nuts behind the underside of the clamp, I just can't seem to get enough torque on the short wrench that fits up in there.
i'll keep after it.

Thanks Guys.

Its a short throw for a wrench. Good call on the PB. Is the top side too rusty?
74ravenna
Hi John,

I sprayed it with ZEP Super Penetrant yesterday afternoon. Hopefully that will help, I've always and great luck with that stuff.

I don't have any crows foot wrenches but it might be time to get some, between the penetrant and the correct wrench it just might turn the trick. Thanks rdgabert.

Hi Robw,

When you say "top side" i'm guessing you mean the top screw that holds the top of the clamp onto the stud then I'm not sure I've gotten a good look at it.

Thanks all.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.