Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jagermeister tribute car project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
We are planning to do a 914 Jagermeister tribute car because we very much like the look - although we are not racers so it will be a regular driver and not a race or track car. Inevitably there will be some compromises (for which the purists probably won't approve).

We have been looking at what is out there as a solid base car but we have got a bit stuck deciding what to prioritise and what work we are better off doing ourselves, for example:

1. Do we go for a roller or car with engine?
2. Any particular year base car? A 6 isn't realistic for our price range.
3. What Porsche engine size should we be aiming for?
4. Do we go for a car with the 5 lug conversion or do we do that?
5. Flared arches - we are expecting to have to do that
6. Interior - what state in the base car and what modifications should the final interior have?
7. Do we add a roll cage or no roll cage?
8. Seats - comfort over racing style preferably
9. Paint job - we will do that but instinct tells us to get a car with a pretty solid body/decent paint job.

We are currently kicking all these options around and looking at what is out there but would be interested to receive any advice from the 914 masters and/or any tips on suitable cars becoming available.

Thanks

Kate & Brian
Mark Henry
Do you have Jagermeister's approval?
I know 100% for sure that they are just as rabid about their trademark as Porsche is.
Larmo63
Look at the Partick Motorsports tribute car that they did. They do really nice 914 builds. (understatement)

That would be my guide……

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/project/...eister-tribute/
sixnotfour
How about the Real Deal....
sixnotfour
These Also,,,,
http://www.mittelmotor.de/fahrzeuge/914-6g...er/historie.htm
McMark
For a free icon_bump.gif and to get the ball rolling I'll chime in, even though I know a bit about this project already.

Since this is mainly a car about building a certain 'look' I wouldn't sweat the details. So year of car wouldn't really matter, engine size wouldn't really matter. I would do an independent throttle body fuel injection system which would keep the right look, but wouldnt have the day to day issues of carbs. I would go with whatever suspension was available for an engine up to 2.7, and get later 911 parts for bigger brakes if the engine is larger. I would install a 'half-cage', but not a full cage. I would run a race style interior, including bucket/race seats.

boxsterfan
To avoid any copyright claims, spell it "YagerMyster".
Mike Bellis
You can't get in trouble for putting stickers on your car.

If you make money because those stickers are on your car then maybe you can get in trouble.
EdwardBlume
Such a tribute car was built by a p car mechanic in Campbell, CA. Rolf was his name. Used to work at Dons Autowerks in Campbell.

He sold it to a guy.

Rolf could likely tell you what he did. A remarkable reproduction.
Chris Pincetich
I've always wanted a giant stag head on the front of my 914 - the decal of course beerchug.gif

If you get the graphics file done and can make some extra vinyl cuts of the big circle with the stag head, I'm interested! biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 1 2014, 01:04 AM) *

You can't get in trouble for putting stickers on your car.

If you make money because those stickers are on your car then maybe you can get in trouble.

I had a friend who carved a nice Jagermeister sign for his home bar, with pride he put his handywork up on FB, Jagermeister's lawyers came after him and made him destroy it.
(It is a friend of a friend, but I've been to his house saw the sign and know the story firsthand)

He was making no money off of it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 30 2014, 10:47 PM) *

He picked the wrong year chassis and painted the roof the wrong color.
Other than that, his car turned out pretty nice ...
shades.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2014, 12:43 PM) *

shades.gif

And it's not a real /6... fine.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 1 2014, 01:30 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2014, 12:43 PM) *

shades.gif

And it's not a real /6... fine.

I know. It was build on a '74 chassis.

For some reason, this has always bugged me. I mean, if you're going through all the trouble to build a replica, why wouldn't you pick a '70 chassis to start with?
There are plenty of differences between the years that make it very obvious to those who know these cars.

I always thought that was an odd choice, especially since the car was done nicely otherwise ...
popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
QUOTE(cal914 @ Nov 30 2014, 01:53 PM) *

We are planning to do a 914 Jagermeister tribute car because we very much like the look - although we are not racers so it will be a regular driver and not a race or track car. Inevitably there will be some compromises (for which the purists probably won't approve).

We have been looking at what is out there as a solid base car but we have got a bit stuck deciding what to prioritise and what work we are better off doing ourselves, for example:

6. Interior - what state in the base car and what modifications should the final interior have?
9. Paint job - we will do that but instinct tells us to get a car with a pretty solid body/decent paint job.

We are currently kicking all these options around and looking at what is out there but would be interested to receive any advice from the 914 masters and/or any tips on suitable cars becoming available.

Thanks

Kate & Brian

So, I believe for you to help design this project and have th ability to answer all the question you will certainly have as this project moves forward, I would suggest that you start getting in the right frame of mind with a shot of jäger for each question.
This will ensure the answer come easier as each evening of questions pops into your head.

Example
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jäger
Drink a shot of jager
EdwardBlume
From an LPR event.
SixerJ
So my mates going to be in trouble with this then KMA.gif ........ Imperfect replica based on a -4 chassis that had been previously and quite nastily converted to a -6 by the PO. Quite a lot of work had to be done to undo the nastiness. Engine is currently being built up as a 2.5 and will be weekend bit of fun

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Dec 4 2014, 12:46 PM) *
So my mates going to be in trouble with this then

Yepp ... biggrin.gif
Building on a /4 chassis is perfectly fine. Nobody has said anything about that being a problem.

The problem i'm having with some of these replica cars is that people use late model chassis with clear and easy to spot differences.
Makes no damn sense to me when i can walk up to a car and after 5 seconds tell the owner that it was built on a '74 chassis.

And while i'm picking nits here, the green on the car you pictured appears too bright. The actual color used was "Conda Green" which is a bit darker.
And the windshield hoop should also be green.
hide.gif
Ferg
Jagermeister has their own orange as well. I believe it's called Rien Orange code 8C1

SixerJ
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 4 2014, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Dec 4 2014, 12:46 PM) *
So my mates going to be in trouble with this then

Yepp ... biggrin.gif
Building on a /4 chassis is perfectly fine. Nobody has said anything about that being a problem.

The problem i'm having with some of these replica cars is that people use late model chassis with clear and easy to spot differences.
Makes no damn sense to me when i can walk up to a car and after 5 seconds tell the owner that it was built on a '74 chassis.

And while i'm picking nits here, the green on the car you pictured appears too bright. The actual color used was "Conda Green" which is a bit darker.
And the windshield hoop should also be green.
hide.gif

That's what I mean about imperfect, on the whole a lot of effort has gone into it considering the cars starting point and it's a bit of a shame that the hoop is not Green and the number font isn't quite right.....we are being very picky and I wouldn't say no to it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.