Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopping up a Steering rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
So I got this steering rack on my bench just staring at it. Cleaned it up and got to playing with the thing.. Any reason I can't replace the rubber cushion with Polyurethane?
Other than getting more vibration (like I don't have enough now) What do you guys think.

Drive my car to Autocrosses compete and drive it home. Sometimes a joy ride not often.
Joe Ricard
OK So I guess nobody ever just takes thier car apart for the fun of it. Ya right. Actually I have taken all the stuff off of the stripper and swapping the good parts to the yellow car. Doing poly suspension bushings in the front and need to swap out the rack too. The yellow car rack has a dead spot and needs replacement anyway.
Oh and icon_bump.gif
CptTripps
The 100 or so miles I put on mine between the time I got it, and the restoration it's undergoing right now, I noticed a little slop in the wheel. Like I could jiggle it up and down maybe 1/8". Nothing alariming, but I was planning on taking the rack out to replace some bushings or something, so I'm interested in this thread.

I don't have anythign to contribute, but I'm interested.
Joe Ricard
The play up and down is the bearing in the column. PITA to replace beacuse all that crap has to come off. Then you have get it all back together and make it work again. The proceedures are in the manuals I think.

I have play side to side as in turning the wheel a little before the rack / tires move.
r_towle
Pelican Parts has what they call a "speed rack" apparently the must be replacing one or both of the gears to change the ratio....

I have three spares and I would not mind doing that to one of them....just need the source for the gears..

Aside from the bushings which might be a nice idea, I think you should dig deeper and see what can be changed inside..

Rich
Brett W
I wrapped the rubber bushing with a radiator clamp. That help a bit to tighten things up. I would like to actually put a flex joint in place of the bushing.

It would be nice if we could get a the gear commonly available as opposed to buying the 400+$ speed rack.
Joe Ricard
I also pulled a spare rack apart Not to terribly difficult. Except getting the seal out of the top at the shaft input. So all I need is a gear and matching rack. Doesn't seem that you could just put a bigger pinion gear in to bump the ratio. Simple huh?
This falls into the category of "don't screw this up or you will die"

Where is Dave from PP when you need him. Maybe I can get a hold of Wayne and ask what is the source of the innards to a rack upgrade. Sure don't think the $$$$ for one of the rebuilt quick ratio racks is going to happen.
r_towle
take a few pics of the inards for us!!!

Rich
Joe Ricard
Send me your camera dry.gif
I'll try with my cheap POS see what happens
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 2 2005, 06:34 AM)
Where is Dave from PP when you need him. Maybe I can get a hold of Wayne and ask what is the source of the innards to a rack upgrade.

I think we get 'em from Weltmeister.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.