Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel filter weeping?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
Started to smell gas every time I came back in from a drive. Garage really got smelly.

So I look under the car and there is a small pool of dirty gas on the left front side, just about under the brake master.

I didn't want to mess with a fuel leak, so I drained out what gas I could and pulled the tank.

All connections seemed OK, but the stupid plastic fuel filter was wet with gas. I didn't see any signs that it came from either hose end, it almost seemed like it was weeping out. There did seem to be what looked like stress lines on one side of the filter.

I took it out, put a fresh hose on one end and plugged the other and tried to blow into the filter (using only my lungs) to see if I could see if the thing was leaking, but nothing.

I know the return pressure is high, but I don't think the intake is.

Anyway, I have a new (also plastic) filter, but was wondering if

a) anyone ever hear of such a thing?
b) is there a better filter I can use?

BTW - I guess it is possible that I overlooked a possible bad hose connection on the filter, I'm not sure. The hoses are new - and are similar to what was "original" - fiber wrapped. They did not seem to be wet - just the filter itself was wet. ODD.

Thanks,

Len
GregAmy
Sounds lot like my fuel leak last year; turned out to be a hole worn in the tank about halfway up the back:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...affling-me.html
lsintampa
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 30 2014, 04:21 PM) *

Sounds lot like my fuel leak last year; turned out to be a hole worn in the tank about halfway up the back:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...affling-me.html

Forgot to mention the tank is solid - had it pressure tested / sealed - about 6 months ago.

boxsterfan
The supply coming out of the tank is 9.5mm. The filter has 8mm inlet I believe. Are you stepping that 9.5mm supply down to to 8mm? Or just attaching 9.5mm to 8mm and tightening as tight as you can get it?
lsintampa
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 30 2014, 05:27 PM) *

The supply coming out of the tank is 9.5mm. The filter has 8mm inlet I believe. Are you stepping that 9.5mm supply down to to 8mm? Or just attaching 9.5mm to 8mm and tightening as tight as you can get it?

To be totally honest, I don't know. Car is a 75, and it seems that both lines that attach to the fuel filter are tight fits - even without clamps.

So, IMHO, I believe the hoses to be of the proper sizes.

boxsterfan
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Nov 30 2014, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 30 2014, 05:27 PM) *

To be totally honest, I don't know. Car is a 75, and it seems that both lines that attach to the fuel filter are tight fits - even without clamps.

So, IMHO, I believe the hoses to be of the proper sizes.

I think there used to be a tapered fuel hose that went from 9.5 to 8mm. However, I think those are NLA. So yours could be a tapered one.

Easiest fix sounds like trying a new fuel filter if you suspect it is cracked. Otherwise, you need to look for leaks around hose connections or leaks coming from tank where supply comes out or leaks from tank itself.
Mike Bellis
If you have FI and the fuel pump is in the front and the filter is in the rear, the filter is seeing about 40psi of pressure.

The return line should be at near 0 pressure since the line flows unrestricted into the tank.
Elliot Cannon
Get rid of that plastic fuel filter.
EdwardBlume
Fuel can come from various points. Did you replace the seal around the top of the tank? What kind of fuel clamps are you using? Replace the filer with a high quality replacement and use the right FI clamps.
lsintampa
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 1 2014, 01:07 AM) *

If you have FI and the fuel pump is in the front and the filter is in the rear, the filter is seeing about 40psi of pressure.

The return line should be at near 0 pressure since the line flows unrestricted into the tank.

I should have noted that the car is a 75 and has FI - the pump and filter are under the tank.

The nipples out of the tank are small and angled a bit. The line OUT of the tank goes first to the filter - that hose seems to be the same size on both ends. The hose coming out of the filter is larger and goes to the fuel pump.

The only gas I found was ON the outside of the filter. The tank is solid - it doesn't leak, and there was no gas that ran down to the filter - there were no signs of any gas finding it's way to the filter.

I have a new filter - it too is plastic... I'll go off to the LPS and see if they have something better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.