Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: getting ready for the rotisserie questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
I have stripped the car of all the parts except suspension and brakes. I would like to get the car bead blasted to see if there is any chassis repair work needed. It looks pretty good but I am not sure. The previous owner said most everything was done properly. The reason I am going to repaint is the paint job kinda sucked. I am planning on going back to the original Irish green.
How do I go from car with suspension on to rotisserie ready? Do i make a dolly to cart it around without suspension and wheels? Do I get it bead blasted and painted to stop rust and then weld?

What should I tape over before blasting? Should I plan to put in new brake lines?
Kinda new to this.

I will say that I was amazed how easy it was to tear apart (even with labeling everything)

Taking out the wiring harness wasn't half bad! I am not as intimidated as I thought I was going to be.
Thanks,
Buck
PanelBilly
I put mine on a stack of pallets and pulled everything off before putting it on the rotisserie. I wanted the media blaster to be able to flip the thing at all kinds of angles to do a better job
r_towle
Strip it to nothing using jack stands.
I had a few helpers, we lifted up one end and put the rotisierre piece on the part already bolted to the bumper, then went around the back and did the same thing at the rear, all by hand...
It's about 400 lbs stripped.

Sand blast
Etching primer
Welding and more etching primer
Primer sealer
Bodywork
Primer sealer
Paint
roblav1
First, strip the paint where the rotisserie will bolt to the bumper brackets before attaching the car! Easier to fix after painting.

I had mine in and out of the rotisserie a couple times... just raised it high enough with jack stands. I also used Aircraft stripper and a power washer, which seemed to work pretty well. I did try media blasting a bit, but thankfully not much since that stuff gets everywhere. If you do media blast, make sure EVERYTHING is off the car.

Order was:
- Attach to rotisserie
- Remove everything
- Strip paint and some blasting
- Cut out bad steel and grind
- Weld new steel
- I reinforced the longs, front ARB mounts, oil cooler intake and exit, fabricated triangular pieces at the firewall to inner longs (like a 911 Targa), GT kit, and welded up quite a few seams where I figured the stresses were highest (like the firewall). Also removed the 914-4 engine mounts and welded in reinforcing steel around the bent area. When I studied the structure at the front dash bulkhead, I decided to fill the interface between the front fenders and the cowl with steel and Tig them together. That area is going to move... and the factory did that pre-production as well.
- Grind
- Bodywork - hammer and dollies and Tig where needed
- Etch and wash
- Epoxy primer
- Bodywork - filler
- Epoxy primer on filler
- Primer / surfacer
- Final paint

Once you put the epoxy primer on, you have a week to cover it (at least with PPG) without having to sand it.

If anyone who reads this wants a rotisserie, I'll be listing mine for sale in a couple days. It'll also come with triangulated cockpit bracing.
Socalandy
please install door braces!!! before you send it to media blast and put it on the rotiss. and strip your deck lids and doors with chem. stripper to avoid warping of the panels. plug off your heater, clutch,speedo and flapper box tubes with multiple layers of heavy duct tape.

I took off everything but the suspension and wheels before media blasting, installed door braces and after blasting rolled it into the shop and put it on the rotisserie, Last we dropped the suspension.

Don't forget to post pictures popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.