Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 222 without the Targa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Had an offer today from a well know 914er. So let's see what 222 would look like without the Targa.

Here is before:

Click to view attachment

More recent:

Click to view attachment

OK Mark, let's see how it looks AFTER!
J P Stein
I looked at removing the targa bar. I decided that by the time I added structure to replace the thing, the weight savings would be minimal.....plus the handle is a very recognizable feature of the 914.....without it, it's just another Miata.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2014, 09:24 PM) *

Had an offer today from a well know 914er. So let's see what 222 would look like without the Targa.

Here is before:

More recent:

OK Mark, let's see how it looks AFTER!

Or maybe this one is easier to photoshop?

Click to view attachment
McMark
shades.gif
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 2 2014, 02:44 PM) *

shades.gif

Not bad and a FB Targa could always be added later.

Man, the car sure looks long.

Thoughts /Comments?
Trekkor
I vote for not cutting off the targa bar.
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 2 2014, 09:26 AM) *
I looked at removing the targa bar. I decided that by the time I added structure to replace the thing, the weight savings would be minimal.....plus the handle is a very recognizable feature of the 914.....without it, it's just another Miata.

agree.gif

QUOTE(Trekkor @ Dec 3 2014, 01:02 AM) *
I vote for not cutting off the targa bar.

agree.gif

PS: Hi Trekkor!
bye1.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 2 2014, 08:15 PM) *

Thoughts /Comments?

It sits too high off the ground. shades.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 3 2014, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 2 2014, 08:15 PM) *

Thoughts /Comments?

It sits too high off the ground. shades.gif

And I'll bet you know exactly how to fix it! sawzall-smiley.gif
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 2 2014, 05:15 PM) *

Thoughts /Comments?

What's the story with that amazing, shiny bus in the background of the photos above??
w00t.gif

The targa-less picture looks pretty good. A clear cover over the engine would look awesome
Randal
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Dec 4 2014, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 2 2014, 05:15 PM) *

Thoughts /Comments?

What's the story with that amazing, shiny bus in the background of the photos above??
w00t.gif

The targa-less picture looks pretty good. A clear cover over the engine would look awesome

Yea, for looks you'd definately need something over the engine. But as I said a FG targo only weights 4lbs.

The bus in the background is Randy Grubb's Decoliner. Randy races with all the Medford boys, drives his Dad's Birkin. He is really a good driver and does well at all the events he runs. Nice guy as well. And of course a real artist. BTW just Google his name and check out the stuff he has built.
URY914
DO NOT DO IT! mad.gif

steuspeed

shades.gif

Hey, that's the Blastolene Decoliner RV in the background. I would like to see that up close. shades.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 4 2014, 07:18 PM) *

DO NOT DO IT! mad.gif

agree.gif
Randal

DO NOT DO IT! mad.gif

av-943.gif

your kidding, right? shades.gif
Randal
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Dec 4 2014, 07:24 PM) *

shades.gif

Hey, that's the Blastolene Decoliner RV in the background. I would like to see that up close. shades.gif

Everything Randy does is perfect. Unbelievable really, the things he does.
Randal

DO NOT DO IT! mad.gif

Your car would be so good on a hill!
dlkawashima
IPB Image

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 4 2014, 10:30 PM) *

I could get used to it. happy11.gif
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 5 2014, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 4 2014, 10:30 PM) *

I could get used to it. happy11.gif

It has a 908 flavor to it without the targa bar. I like it. Didn't think I would. But I do.
Mugs914
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Mar 25 2015, 11:23 PM) *

It has a 908 flavor to it without the targa bar. I like it. Didn't think I would. But I do.

agree.gif
Didn't think I would like either, but I've got to say it does look pretty good.

I'm not generally a fan of slant-nose bodywork on 914s either, but without the targa bar it would really complete the 908 look. Might be pretty cool!
Randal
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Mar 26 2015, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Mar 25 2015, 11:23 PM) *

agree.gif
Didn't think I would like either, but I've got to say it does look pretty good.

I'm not generally a fan of slant-nose bodywork on 914s either, but without the targa bar it would really complete the 908 look. Might be pretty cool!

I think if it's done right it'll be nice And who's going to argue with losing 20 lbs or more off a race car.

Here is a picture of a D Sport Racer...with a nice curved straight back, so thinking there are possibilities to make a 914 look good. Just get out the blocks of foam and start forming until you like what you see.

Click to view attachment

stownsen914
Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but have a look at my 914 - no targa bar, and slope nose bodywork.

I also put a headrest fairing on the car, and an air scoop running to an airbox under the engine cover.
Randal
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Mar 27 2015, 11:53 AM) *

Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but have a look at my 914 - no targa bar, and slope nose bodywork.

I also put a headrest fairing on the car, and an air scoop running to an airbox under the engine cover.

Where did you race the car and do you still have it?
jd74914
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 30 2015, 10:10 AM) *

Where did you race the car and do you still have it?

If you have more pictures I would love to see them too! smile.gif
Mugs914

Well, there are exceptions to every rule! I have always been a big fan of your car Scott. The 935 nose looks great and the aero looks to be very well thought out. I would love to see it in person. That pic looks like the Glen, any chance you'll be at the PCA race there in May?

My comment about slope noses really pertains to most of the street kits I have seen. In my opinion, the rest of the body needs to be pretty highly modded too if the slant is going to look right...

Scott's car counts in that regard!! beerchug.gif

Mike
r_towle
Scott,

It looks like your car is sitting to high and you need to lower the center of gravity...
stownsen914
Thanks for the comments, guys. I have run the car for years at track day events. I haven't raced it yet, but am planning to give that a try this year in PCA club racing. Planning for the Monticello race in May. Probably won't make the WGI race this year, but would absolutely like to do that one too.

Mugs - WGI is a long haul for you, right? You racing or volunteering/working?

She does sit low - I spent a lot of time making that the case. Bodywork, clearing low hanging items to lower the car as much as possible, etc.
Racing916
Stowsen914,

Please sign up for the Club Race at Watkins Glen. last year I was one of two 914s racing and we could use another to infuriate the 911 crowd. Besides that you get to hang out with MUGS who I got to meet last year.

Steve
Mugs914
Yeah Scott, WGI is a little more than walking distance from my place. biggrin.gif

Actually, I'm the Chief National Scrutineer for PCA Club Racing, so I get around quite a bit during race season! I'll be at the Glen again this year; if you can make it that weekend it would be fun to meet you and have a chance to see your car. I met Steve and his dad there last year. Awesome folks!

Mugs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.