Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: perma tune
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mac73
i have had a perma tune 911 model in my 73 914 2.0 for over 10 years with no problems.
this was installed by the mechanic who rebuilt the engine
still has points and a coil and original fuel inj.
backstory is the 914 was in storage for the winter and the battery was dead when i went to pick it up.
started right up with a jump and drove it home
about 100 yards from home it went totally dead but i was able to coast into the driveway.
would not crank-battery dead
battery would not take a charge from 120v charger
so it seems the car was running on the voltage from the alternator and something must have popped from overvoltage?
after installing a new battery, i tried a new coil (Bosche Blue)and still no luck
permatune has a troubleshooting guide and i had good results on all tests but one
"pin B to C wants 100 ohms (+ - 1 Ohm)" I had 104 ohms ( 1 ohm is a super tight tolerance)
these are expensive units and before purchasing a new unit, i would like to see if anyone know of a shop that could test and maybe repair this unit
thanks for any advice andy
Mark Henry
Some don't like the permatune and not many use it on a /4.
I'd by-pass it (replace the stock points/condenser) and see if the engine runs, just to make sure your problem isn't elsewhere.

If you have to repair it I'd just get a MSD 6al or If you go on pelicanparts I see permatunes often in the used FS section.
GeorgeRud
I seem to remember throne one once said that the Permatunes need a different coil than the Bosch one to properly work. I think it was Henry Schmidt from Supertec, so he probably knows of what he speaks, but does anyone have any more information on Permatune units?
Mark Henry
look here :

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...bosch-cd-2.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.