Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Opinion fellow teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi teeners,

I'm planning of buying a 68 912 front and rear suspension. Can I use the strut, hubs, calipers and rotors for a 75 914 for my 5 lug conversion and rear suspension also has the hub, calipers and rotors. Is it the same as early 911 parts?

Please give me your usual support/help to a fellow teener.

Thanks and God Bless!

Noel

Mark Henry
You have to check if the fronts are solid or vented rotors, you don't want them if solid rotors.
If vented they will work but it has 3 inch spacing, early or Alfa calipers.
You would also have to replace your ball joints with early ones.

Rears are really not worth it, the hubs "may" work, but I'm not sure on those.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 3 2014, 01:58 PM) *

You have to check if the fronts are solid or vented rotors, you don't want them if solid rotors.
If vented they will work but it has 3 inch spacing, early or Alfa calipers.
You would also have to replace your ball joints with early ones.

Rears are really not worth it, the hubs "may" work, but I'm not sure on those.

Thanks Mark for responding!
In regards to front, it has struts with inserts, calipers and rotors (if rotor is bad I can just get new one) can I just get new ball joint and just swap it to the original 914 parts?
For the rears, from 912 parts I can only use the hub, rotors and calipers to replace also the 914 parts? And do I need a different cv axle?

Thanks again!
Harpo
The 68 should have solid rotors because 69 officially has venter rotors. These struts will have 3.0 brake caliper spacing with fewer brake caliper options. The ball joint on the early 912 are nearly twice the price of the later 911T struts.

IMHO the 1972 911T is the best year because in addition to all of the other upgrades they also have wedge bolts to attach the ball joint to the struts.

Hope this helps

DAvid
bdstone914
You do not want a 68 suspension. That is short wheel base and is a bad choice. The struts are the old style with the different tie rod arm that bolts to the bottom of the strut. Nothing on the rear is usable on a 914. Hubs have a long shaft and a different spline.
roblav1
You can use the steering rack though! They are a quicker ratio than stock.
914Sixer
As Bruce said, leave the 68 suspension alone!!!!!
ndfrigi
Wow that is the best comments/suggestions I got from our fellow teeners! Thanks to all and Sir Bruce thanks again for sharing your expertise!

God Bless you all teeners!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.