Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I weigh my Teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I'm in the Temecula area of SoCal and want to weigh my 914 to see how much weight I gained going to a water cooled 6. The only place I can think of is the county dump which is 45 min's away. Any tips? And, does anyone know the curb weight of a 73 2.0, no AC? BTW, was the factory curb weight figured wet?
SLITS
Any public CAT scale.
76-914
You mean like drive to my Vet's office. biggrin.gif I had to google cat scales. Found some north of Perris. Thx Ron. beerchug.gif
patssle
Cat scales can weigh our small vehicles - I asked them.

CAT Scales are somewhat accurate for weighing small cars depending on your needs. Our scales are rated as IIIL devises with a capacity of 200,000 pounds. We are only allowed to weigh in 20 pound divisions so a car weighing 1991 pounds would register on a CAT Scale as 2000 pounds. If plus or minus 10 pounds is close enough for your needs we can help you.
Mueller
When I drove a cement mixer we had a scale in the yard, might be one close to you.

Also metal recycling yards since the pay by the pound and weight the vehicles before and after unloading.

Or post an add on craigslist to find a racer nearby and bring them a six pack for their troubles?
Marv's3.6six
At Rancho Metals & Supplies on Date street. Just behind Siggy's on Jefferson at Date St.

I have had my 914 weighed there.
76-914
Perfect. I know that spot. Thx a million. beerchug.gif
rnellums
I'm really interested in seeing the results!
monkeyboy
Ask around at hot rod shops. Some have scales for their autocross cars.

Mine weighs 2098 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas, and two lawn chairs in the trunk.
SLITS
The CAT scales weigh the axle weights along with total weight. Axle weights are necessary to avoid nastiness by the Blue Meanies.

Anyway, if the 914 can be positioned over the split in the scales to get axle weights, you gain some information about weight distribution. biggrin.gif
brant
But..... I've read that truck scales are not very accurate as the are at the fringe of their range.

The are more accurate at the meat of their range around 20k and not as accurate at the fringe weights of 2k. So give or take a larger margin. 100? 200? Lbs off?

Race scales would be more designed for a light weight vehicle
76-914
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 3 2014, 09:54 PM) *

But..... I've read that truck scales are not very accurate as the are at the fringe of their range.

The are more accurate at the meat of their range around 20k and not as accurate at the fringe weights of 2k. So give or take a larger margin. 100? 200? Lbs off?

Good input Brandt but I believe the scales at the scrapyard are accurate. Have you checked the price of copper lately? Ross, I'll let you know the weight. Monkeyboy, is that weight for a stock 73 2.0 ?
monkeyboy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 4 2014, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 3 2014, 09:54 PM) *

Good input Brandt but I believe the scales at the scrapyard are accurate. Have you checked the price of copper lately? Ross, I'll let you know the weight. Monkeyboy, is that weight for a stock 73 2.0 ?

That was what my 72 weighed in street trim. I drove it to the Goodguys show in Del Mar a couple of years ago since we did not get my dad's Fairlane running in time.

We know the guys from Ridetech and they had their scales out there weighing cars.
jwc914
You can get a pretty accurate weight of any vehicle with pneumatic tires by using a tape measure and a tire pressure guage. You need to measure the area of tire footprint. In square inches. Then multiply by air pressure. That is the weight for that corner.
ripper911
I've thought about weighing my car, just to see how much lighter it is with all of the rust.
OU8AVW
Local dump? They weigh you coming in and leaving to see how much you dumped.
76-914
Took your advice Marv and weighed in at Rcho Metals. Their truck scales registered 2340lbs. I don't have the previous curb weight (ie, everything in the car but the driver and a full gas tank) but it was a 73 with appearance group and had been converted to a 2.0-4, so I have no idea what it was in that configuration. confused24.gif Not sure about the accuracy of truck scales either the but it's close enough. So, somewhere between 300-350lb weight gain. I'd bet that 50 of those lbs are the addition of the stabilizers, P205's and the Engman kit. beerchug.gif
patrick3000
With all the work that you've done, if you haven't already completed a suspension refresh it is probably overdue, including, bushings, alignment and a corner balance. The corner balance will provide you with the cars current weight. This made a world of difference in the way my GT handled, the 40 year old bushings were toast?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.