Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help in Denver!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GK914
Hey, I have a 1976 and thinking about moving to Denver. I have carbs, and there is basically no going back to the stock motor. Are there ways around the emissions for 1976 and up cars? It is insured as a classic, driven about 2000 miles a year. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocky Mountain High!
A&P Mech
I moved to Denver back in 1993 and to be honest it is the best place I have ever called home. The twisty mountain roads are a true 914 playground.

I don't know of a way to get around the emissions rules here. I have a 1974 so I was able to get collector plates and avoid emissions.

There is a really strong 914 community here in Denver that always has room for another 914 junkie.

Ray
stugray
Certain counties have a no emissions test policy.

At least a year or so ago my buddy from work who lives in Mead (Weld County) says he doesnt need an emissions test for his vintage cars.

I got the vintage plate for my 71 so no emissions required.
shelby/914
If you move into the City of Denver you will have to do emissions on a '76 at least 1 time, same for the immediate surrounding counties. If you move a little farther out there are no emission tests. The classic plate rules have gotten a little confusing recently. We use to have a rolling 25 year old rule on license plates, then it was changes to only '75 and older. Now there is a second class of classic for cars either 32 or 35 years old that can get a classic plate but still need an e test to initially get them. My '76 was initially registered at a cabin out of the metro area so it's grandfathered in. Confused??? I'm sure the law is online.

Other than the E test this is a great place to live, wouldn't move for anything. Lots of 914 guys here. Check out our local forum on Yahoo.https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Colorado-914/info
Dan
rnellums
Do you think cards would cause it to fail though? If they were jetted properly. I don't think any emissions tech would recognize that it should be FI...
Markl
When I had my '75 tested at an independent shop (not many of those left) he checked for the presence. at least. of all the factory smog equipment, as well as the emissions. The official sites would almost certainly be worse.

Not saying you couldn't get a carbed car through, but I would expect some headaches. You'll want to familiarize yourself with the rules.

And just to stave off any off-topic bitching about "enviro-nazis" the air in Denver in 1975 was so bad visiblity could drop to less than 1/2 mile on a sunny day. Much better now.
Kansas 914
I live in Durango and there is no emissions test here - they just look for a VIN in 2 places. But then we don't even have a local TV station...

You will running rich as a pig at elevation compared to Georgia so plan to re-jet the carbs. There are some great guys in the Denver area that know their way around Type 4 FI or Carbs. You are lucky to be moving there!!
GK914
Yep, nothing is done yet, but I will be out in January for an interview, and I will see what comes of it. Just wanted to test the waters after I went to the DMV site and saw the dreaded test of 76 and up. I get by here in GA without a test. Don't get me wrong, I want clean air. One of the reasons I am considering getting out of Atlanta.

Thanks for the good feedback, any suggestions for contacts there that could help me get set up would be great. I guess worst case I just buy the mac daddy FI system and get it programmed up. I did read something about a maximum they will make you spend before the let you go. Not sure how that works, but that might be my ticket. Pour money at it.....

Cheers!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 4 2014, 01:18 PM) *

Do you think cards would cause it to fail though? If they were jetted properly. I don't think any emissions tech would recognize that it should be FI...

This statement disturbs me. You think all (your word: "any") emissions techs are stupid? There are books, you know, those thick paper things with printing on the pages? On those pages are lists and charts of things the car is supposed to have, and some of them even have pictures. The techs have to be proficient automotive professionals, with a thorough knowledge of emissions systems, their components, and how they work, and have to do things like pass tests of their knowledge and stuff.

The Cap'n

BTW, you pushed my buttons, and this is what you get ...
JRust
Don't let the Cap'n fool you. He can be a little cranky sometimes rolleyes.gif . He's a great guy for any info you need. Just be prepared when you ask evilgrin.gif .

Denver does have a great group of teeners there. To pass emissions I've known of more than one guys who kept a complete 1.8 with it's fuel injection. He would swap his motors to pass emissions. Then go back home to swap back. I think that motor made it's rounds for a couple guys to do the same. Keep your eye's open as you can find a 1.8 complete typically pretty cheap. Seems like a lot of work but if you have pulled your motor. It's not a big deal to swap them. Plus worth the effort to pass if your stuck needing to confused24.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 4 2014, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 4 2014, 01:18 PM) *

This statement disturbs me. You think all (your word: "any") emissions techs are stupid? There are books, you know, those thick paper things with printing on the pages? On those pages are lists and charts of things the car is supposed to have, and some of them even have pictures. The techs have to be proficient automotive professionals, with a thorough knowledge of emissions systems, their components, and how they work, and have to do things like pass tests of their knowledge and stuff.

The Cap'n

BTW, you pushed my buttons, and this is what you get ...

I didn't mean to imply the emissions Techs have low intelligence, I meant instead that they may not be familiar with the 914, and that it may have been unusual for cars of that era to have fuel injection. I'm really not familiar with what sorts of manuals these testing stations might have that would outline what equipment was or was not original, just that when I took my 72 Pontiac Lemans in to do the 2-speed idle test (ca. 6 years ago) they didn't look twice at my monster aftermarket carburetor.

Respectfully,

-Ross
shelby/914
Not to throw fuel on the fire, but the independent test facility I took mine to did not really look up anything about the car. He dutifully looked at the gas tank to make sure the filler neck had not been punched out to accept a leaded gas nozzle (like as if you can still buy leaded gas) and then stuck the probe up the tail pipe. Never noticed that the air pump was removed and the ports were plugged. Envirotest will probably look a little closer. Worst case scenario I'm familiar with was a friend who kept a stock clean running 289 that he use to drop in all of his old Fords before license renewal then pull it afterwards. There are ways to get it registered. There are even rumors from time to time that testing might go away since almost all cars pass. Most of the old polluters are long gone and the old toys are well maintained. Of course tests are a source of $$$ to the state coffers.

Dan
1stworks
My dmv is a joke..

I took my Starion to get tested and the guys were taking selfie's in my car.

smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.