Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back in the bumper top game
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
For those of you that have been around for awhile, you may have remembered my bumper tops that I made from solid rubber. I cast them in silicone and they were a real pain to make, but made quite a few.
The silicone molds wore out and I was looking at recasting, but the labor was keeping cost on these pretty high, so there was not much money in making these.

Meanwhile, AA decided to start making these overseas. George offered to sell these to me at slightly more than what it cost me to make them, and so for awhile I was selling his. This last April, the supply of bumper tops dried up. I have been asking for them for the last 6 months, as I had some orders for them, each month, it's next month they will be in. Finally I had to make these. The tooling was $20k+. But they are made in the USA, and when I sell one I can tell you when you will have it.

The molds have been proven, the fronts are in production an the rears are coming online tomorrow. so the 6 sets I have on back order will be shipping out next week. Thank you for your patience, I did have to step up to assure you would get your product, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I had trusted that the next month they would be in, but after the pattern got stretched out this far I had to fulfill my promise to get my customers the parts I sold them.
altitude411
Cap'n, those look fantastic! You are a stand up vendor... nice work. first.gif I'll be flyin one of those on the front of my six soon.

* dash molds are next? (wish)
rhodyguy
Wow, that was fast. Nice work mark.
sb914
Are the Fiberglass ones being made to?
buck toenges
Can I order a back one now or do I need to wait? Can I do it here or on your web page?
Mikey914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Dec 4 2014, 05:59 AM) *

Yes,
The bases need to be fabricated to mounts I will be back to these tomorrow. I do appreciate your patience. This was a huge project
Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Dec 4 2014, 07:24 AM) *

Can I order a back one now or do I need to wait? Can I do it here or on your web page?

These are up on the site now. I will not be shipping new orders til Tue as I'm filling back orders now.
You can find them here -
http://www.shop.914rubber.com/914-early-fr...e-914F-R-BT.htm
ripper911
Get ready... Those things sell fast!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Dec 4 2014, 01:17 AM) *

agree.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Dec 4 2014, 10:48 AM) *

agree.gif

This investment in step up would lend it self to the manufacturing of tops. But, have to recoup some cash before thinking about those
Mark
SixerJ
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 4 2014, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Dec 4 2014, 10:48 AM) *

agree.gif

This investment in step up would lend it self to the manufacturing of tops. But, have to recoup some cash before thinking about those
Mark

I agree with all the agreement blink.gif

I would rather Mark recoups and takes his time to produce a top notch quality dash top. Especially important as this item its so prominent. Every time I used to look at my recovered dash it used to annoy the hell out of me

Oh and BTW thank you for a 1st class service with my recent order
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 4 2014, 06:55 PM) *

Mark

You have to run it like a business - so it is a smart move to recoup the initial investment.

Your quality product is worth waiting for - cheers!
914Sixer
first.gif Keep up the good work biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 4 2014, 12:04 PM) *

Yes,
The bases need to be fabricated to mounts I will be back to these tomorrow. I do appreciate your patience. This was a huge project
Mark

I would like to buy both front and back in glass....

Rich
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif
boxstr
Got mine today, and they are really great looking and fit extremely well. Top notch job.
Craig at CAMP
Mikey914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 4 2014, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 4 2014, 12:04 PM) *

Yes,
Mark

I would like to buy both front and back in glass....

Rich

I'm just finishing up the mounts on the fiberglass ones. This was what I was trying to get finished. I have a few of the glass on backorder and they will be full production late next week.
-Mark
Mikey914
Here's a peek at the internals.
veekry9
Very nice indeed.
Well done.
Valy
You sir shuld start thinking about dashboards.
r_towle
Your hands are backwards.....everything ok?
ben*james
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2014, 07:35 PM) *

Your hands are backwards.....everything ok?

See post 18. Yep....that looks pretty bad happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.