Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2015 Nor Cal New Years Day Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael N
Mark your calendars if you plan to attend the New Years Day drive. This is always a fun event and drive. Last year there was a good showing of over 100 cars and breakfast was hosted by Porsche of Livermore. Come for the breakfast or come for the breakfast and the drive. Last several years it has included a post breakfast drive up Mt. Hamilton from Livermore and dropping into San Jose. The roads on New Year's Day are always empty. We should be able to fill several 914 tables this year.

http://livermore.porschedealer.com/news/New_Years_Drive.html

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
matthepcat
Sound awesome!

I will be hung over on Bourbon street in LA.
Mike Bellis
You have to RSVP with the gal at Livermore Porsche. Even if you don't want breakfast, they are needing to know how many drivers and guests. Most likely for insurance.
JeffBowlsby
Mike...

Roughly how many 914s show up?

Is this mostly new P-car owners, vintage p-cars? or?

I am sure it changes year to year, but roughly speaking...

How good is the breakfast?

Maybe we can see how many 914s we can get to participate this year?
Michael N
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 5 2014, 06:20 PM) *

Mike...

Roughly how many 914s show up?

Is this mostly new P-car owners, vintage p-cars? or?

I am sure it changes year to year, but roughly speaking...

How good is the breakfast?

Maybe we can see how many 914s we can get to participate this year?

In past years there have been 5 to 6 914's, although Kathy and I count for two of them. Peter generally joins from the Peninsula. Many R-Groupe cars and newer models. Overall a great vibe to the event as it is not one club or group rather just a bunch of Porsche fanatics. Breakfast last year was breakfast burritos and donuts etc. Porsche of Livermore is very kind to host such an event.

Thanks Bellis for the note on the RSVP with the dealership. Did it today.

JRust
I might be up for it depending on the Mtn pass into CA form Oregon. You want to RSVP for me just in case evilgrin.gif
Mike Bellis
RSVP to Amanda Billeci at abilleci@gmail.com Let her know if you have a guest.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 5 2014, 08:22 PM) *

Thanks for adding that beerchug.gif
Looks like fun. FREE DONUTS??!?!?!? w00t.gif
chrisz01
I had a great time last year (great weather for driving, but not for CA drought). Livermore Porsche rolled out the red carpet great job. I will be there if weather good. For those that have front end bras bring them Mines road has alot of small pebbles that kick up. If I still have my 914 I will drive, if not maybe a new old 356.

good event see more info on pelican parts forum.

clz
JRust
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 5 2014, 08:22 PM) *

Thanks for the info. Sent her an email a few minutes ago. Again will hinge on weather & the pass but we will see.
Andyrew
Has anyone confirmed if they allow non P cars this year? Looks like it from the pics of the previous year..
SirAndy
Maybe this time their main tech won't give me the dirty looks for putting him on the spot in front of everybody.

Naaa, i'm sure he still hates me ...
biggrin.gif
Cfletch
My Porsche is in the process of a conversion, but can I bring my lotus?
chrisz01
I was there last year. It was described as bring what ever type of make you have just don't bring an attidude about your make. This event if I am not wrong originated out Pelican parts forum group. Some body correct me if I am wrong.

clz
Michael N
Make sure your cars have fuel and are ready to go on the morning of the 1st. You'll be sad if you miss this drive. Kathy's strategy to keep up with all the new turbo cars is simply stay off the brakes and drive. It always makes me smile when she out corners newer cars and drivers because she just lets the mid engine balance work for her in the corners.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

icon_bump.gif
Mike Bellis
icon_bump.gif

This is a great drive though the foothills. Who's coming?
JeffBowlsby
I am *thinking* about it. Will depend on what the boss has planned for the day.

Sounds like its the two Mike and Maybe Kathy on the list so far?
EdwardBlume
I can see if I can get a hall pass for the dealership part... I've been meaning to check out their CPOs.
Mike Bellis
I will have a spare passenger seat. Muller has dibs but if don't show... chair.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 24 2014, 03:53 PM) *

I will have a spare passenger seat. Muller has dibs but if don't show... chair.gif

Hi Mike,

My twin girls turn 9 on New Years Day, I think they will be bummed if I am not home when they wake up that morning....perhaps drive up to Sac with you for the breakfast in Jan if you take the 914?
Mike Bellis
10-4

Looks like I have an open passenger seat...
MartyYeoman
Just sent in my RSVP.
sunglasses.gif
JRust
Not looking good for me. Not sure I'll have my car back by then. So I'm going to tentatively bow out. You all have fun & take some good pics. If the stars happen to all align really quick. I will change my tune
Michael N
driving.gif driving-girl.gif I may not go all the way over Mt Hamilton this year. I will do breakfast and might do Calavaras Rd to Sierra road back to San Jose if ther are too many cars on the drive. Last year because of soooo many cars it was more or less a parade back road drive and only became spirited when I stopped to give the group ahead of me a 2 minute lead.
PotterPorsche
Since my 914 was damaged on halloween, i'll bring my 55 oval vw with 2.1 liter. No 36 hp here. It wont handle like the 914 but it pulls hard on the straights.

IPB Image
yellowporky
Sent my RSVP
Thanks for the heads up
MartyYeoman
icon_bump.gif
PotterPorsche
I will be bringing my 58 ghia tommorrow instead of the 55 . This is my daily driver
Michael N
Waking up and getting up for this event is harder than I thought today. Maybe because it is soooo cold outsidei (38 degrees California) I am slower moving for this drive.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jan 1 2015, 05:51 AM) *

Waking up and getting up for this event is harder than I thought today. Maybe because it is soooo cold outsidei (38 degrees California) I am slower moving for this drive.

"A minute of pain is worth a lifetime of greatness." evilgrin.gif

"If you can take it, you can make it." cheer.gif

I just saw Unbroken.

JStroud
It's 28 at my house right now, nothing to drive though, I'll be in the shop. bye1.gif
Mike Bellis
Well I blew a radiato hose at the top of mount hamelton. I coasted 24 miles to the bottom where I'm presently waiting on a tow truck. sad.gif
Mike Bellis
More details.

My radiator hose split lengthwise in the front trunk during a high speed left hairpin turn. I spun out on the fluid, about 270°. The 911 behind me stopped in time. I was about 1/2 mile from the summit at the observatory. I drove it to the top and examined the damage. I decided to coast down the hill into San Jose. I made the 24 miles and coasted for 22 of them. I had to run the motor a couple times without water until I found a Carl's Jr restaurant and parked at 12pm. It's now 3:30pm and I made it home some 35 miles via a flat bed tow truck.

Oddly enough, the car never overheated, even without water. Maybe because it was 47°F this morning. Now I need some Gates green stripe to get this POS fixed. I feel very lucky. I could have spun the car off a cliff or broken down in the middle of nowhere. I just hope no one else spun on my spilled G12 fluid. My group of 4 cars were the first to reach the top of the mountain; I was #2 of 4. I took off before the rest of 100 or so Porsche's made it to the top.

Happy New Year!

Click to view attachment
Krieger
That stinks Mike! Obviously could have been worse. Sounds like you can patch it up quickly.
PotterPorsche
Mike we were in the second group. We didn't reach the top till 12:30 We stopped a few times. Pulled over for a subaru that blew a hose. Stopped at the midway point for a sandwich. Sorry to hear about the break down. I was getting dizzy on the way down mt Hamilton.
Michael N
Great to see everyone this morning. Sorry to hear about the car Mike, although I can tell you that they were still talking about how fast you and your car is when we finally reached the top with the slow second group. For the first time in three years the observatory was open and we were able to go inside for a quick peek at the telescope and a little knowledge.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Michael N
My co pilots, Mikayla and Nolan, crashed out on the drive to the top of Mt. Hamiliton....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Sorry about the hose Mike. Glad you made it home OK.
EdwardBlume
More
EdwardBlume
blink.gif
EdwardBlume
biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
A couple of real cars... drooley.gif
EdwardBlume
smile.gif
EdwardBlume
w00t.gif
EdwardBlume
beer.gif
EdwardBlume
Mike wakes up early to take the pole! First car there!
EdwardBlume
shades.gif
EdwardBlume
Early AM and the sound of a T4...
Mueller
Thanks for pics....looks like a great turnout!

Bummer about the hose Mike!
sb914
Bummer mike. Been there done that.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.