Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this look like an $8900. car to you?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
JimFitz33
I found this 1.7 on craigslist and am thinking about it though I really would like a 2.0. This is very close to the car I want in style , color , appearance etc...Not knowing what the underside looks like yet...what d'you guys think ...a keeper at 8900?
mepstein
looks great. Make sure to get it checked out by someone who really knows where to look if you don't. It's very easy to get in over your head with a pretty car.
JimFitz33
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 6 2014, 08:25 PM) *

looks great. Make sure to get it checked out by someone who really knows where to look if you don't. It's very easy to get in over your head with a pretty car.

Yeah...I'd do a Pre Purchase Inspection and then look it over in person or the other way around.
mobymutt
I know extremely little, but I know enough that people will say to look for rust in the longs and in the hell hole. And everywhere else. Then look some more.

And I know people will have bad things to say about the single carb setup.
boxstr
Get it up in the air and check the underside. Nice looking.
Craig at CAMP
era vulgaris
If you buy it, the first thing you'll want to do is get rid of that single carb. That is the worst fuel delivery for these engines. You'll want to go either to a dual carb setup or re-install the original fuel injection.
You can use that as a bargaining point if you do want the car.
Cairo94507
Sure looks like a car any of us would want. Get it in the air and see what you can't see. I like it though.
mepstein
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 6 2014, 08:43 PM) *

Craig at CAMP

Are we still talking about cars?
porsha916
hi, great looking 914!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif The center mounted carbs are simple and they work well, they limit power at higher rpm and with 1.7L you may not be satisfied with the power available. The dual carb setup rarely have a fuel enrichment setup, dependent on temperature and altitude (air density) the engine will run poorly until warmed up (the simple explanation).
I don't like white, If you do this looks like a good deal, I have owned (great deal)a white 914 as nice as that one but (I could not get motivated to work on it)I sold it to a guy that wanted to do a six conversion on it.
Take care
Bill
pete000
Looks pretty nice, price seems fair. If it is really good buy it and have a nice 2.0+ engine rebuild done (might not be cheap though)

Not a whole lot of difference between the 1.7 cars and the 2.0 cars if you have a carbed engine. Exhaust is a bit different. You can easily make a car like this just as nice.
Chris914n6
Engine swap is easy. Finding a car in the condition, color, low rust, low needs, and look you want not so much.
That car looks surprisingly complete. It would have to be a near cherry driver for that price though.
dw914six
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2014, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 6 2014, 08:43 PM) *

Craig at CAMP

Are we still talking about cars?

lol-2.gif
dw914six
QUOTE(JimFitz33 @ Dec 6 2014, 05:18 PM) *

I found this 1.7 on craigslist and am thinking about it though I really would like a 2.0. This is very close to the car I want in style , color , appearance etc...Not knowing what the underside looks like yet...what d'you guys think ...a keeper at 8900?

I am confident everyone here has told you there is no way to tell without knowing the condition under the pretty paint.

You know just enough to be interested and schedule a PPI with the car.

Good luck. biggrin.gif
Cuda911
To throw an additional 0.02:

For that price, I'd want to make sure the rubber seals are all in pretty good shape. Also, check the seats and dash for splits and cracks. So many cars look fantastic in pix, then look pretty sucky in person.

So, ASSUMING the car is in great shape, sure, $8,900 is OK IMHO.

As others have said, swap out the carb when you get a chance, if you buy the car.

If you can get another 1K off during negotiations, that would be great... try and use the carb set-up for that.
scotty b
carb
aftermarket mirror
rollbar trim should be bright dip anodized not black
horn button hood crest
floppy pass door panel vinyl
hood crest
rear bumper top looks wonky ( bad )
interior light is falling through the backpad
looks like it MAY be a dash cap over the original dash
What's going on with the tailight lenses ?

That said, premium 4 cylinders are now breaking the 20,000.00 mark, nice solid drivers are in the 12- 15,000.00 range, so at 9000.00 you should expect some minor issues
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.