Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Four
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
To the collective world knowledge database...

What is the largest size type IV that can built and used safely as a street car without adding an external oil cooler?

Thanks!

Dave_Darling
Depends on a whole lot of factors. The overall efficiency of the engine spec, state of tune of the engine, ambient temps it will be driven through, etc.

I know that a mis-tuned stock motor can require an external oil cooler when driven through Grant's Pass in the summer. And a decently-tuned bone-stock 2.0 can require a cooler when driving through the desert in the summer.

--DD
Mueller
Dave,

Does adding piston squirters put more load on the stock cooler and necessitate an external cooler?
Starlack
I had a 2,4Liter engine with 160 HP . First i drive with this Engine without front oil cooler. Not possible.
In the engine oil temperature immediately goes into the red zone.
Better with front oil cooler but you really have to watch out for the temerature.

The current engine 2,7 typ 4 has a front oil cooler and a fan from the 911

No problems with the oil temperature no matter how I drive
Mark Henry
If it is built correctly you likely don't need one in your area, unless you are racing and pulling more then say 3800rpm for long periods of time.
My 2.6 has no over heat issues.
Mueller
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 7 2014, 10:12 AM) *

If it is built correctly you likely don't need one in your area, unless you are racing and pulling more then say 3800rpm for long periods of time.
My 2.6 has no over heat issues.

Don't Nickies change the dynamics of the cooling?

Mark Henry
Yes and no, because I've built both with no over heat issues.
Do not use over 96mm P&C's without Nickies. Any bigger is automatically a misconfigured engine in my book.
That's a pretty basic rule, why Porsche when to an all aluminum cylinder as their engines got bigger.

Adding an oil cooler not really going to help a misconfigured engine, maybe a bit but it's a bandaid solution.
Also maybe you need one in socal, etc., but I'm taking into account the OP's location.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 7 2014, 04:12 PM) *

Do not use over 96mm P&C's without Nickies. Any bigger is automatically a misconfigured engine in my book.
That's a pretty basic rule, why Porsche when to an all aluminum cylinder as their engines got bigger.

Adding an oil cooler not really going to help a misconfigured engine, maybe a bit but it's a bandaid solution.
Also maybe you need one in socal, etc., but I'm taking into account the OP's location.

Now that LN makes nickies, it's a new possibility if you have the money.
For many years, something like 30 years, building 103mm cast iron cylinders was the norm and a typical configuration.

With cast iron cylinders, you really do need a front cooler.
With the nickies, it may help, but I have no experience with the nickies....

I do not consider using cast iron cylinders a mis configured motor or design.....it's just a cheaper way to go that has been proven to last by many builders, many motors etc.
I agree to disagree with Mark on that statement.

Rich
colingreene
Crap wrong thread.
crash914
103 Nickies, I need an oil cooler...gets real hot real fast if you are romping on it...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(crash914 @ Dec 7 2014, 08:04 PM) *

103 Nickies, I need an oil cooler...gets real hot real fast if you are romping on it...

But you are racing... correct?

OP said "street car".
mepstein
It can get hot here in the summer. And my worry would be a summertime traffic jam. Not uncommon on the way to the beach, driving through a city or just the wrong time/wrong place/accident/road construction. Crawling along for 5-10 miles on a hot summer day on the blacktop will heat up any engine. Got to plan for the possibilities.
crash914
I get hot with just street driving. Now I do keep high revs in a higher gear...like 6k in second..

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 7 2014, 03:12 PM) *

Mark, you may never need one considering the average summer temp for Port Hope, Ontario is 25 degrees C (77 degrees F) . Kinda like Germany for climate.

Betty's stock 1.8L needs an external oil cooler for two reasons. 1. Because the average summer temp is 102 degrees F (38.8 degrees C). and 2. The AC load on the car increases the engine temp. I run the oil cooler without a thermostat, because it doesn't get cold enough in the winter to need one. (It is 53 degrees F today, December 8th.)

Before you start yelling about a mis-configured engine, I have everything set according to factory specs, including the CO.

The 914 owners in the desert southwest need an external oil cooer more than the Texas owners do. So it all depends on where you live. The 914 was designed with temps in Germany for the cooling load, so adding a cooler should be based on the regular oil temps you run on a regular basis. If it is too high, add the cooler.

Mark Henry
Yelling? Would you like to discuss your feelings? Panties bunching up? Do you need a Midol?
Then we all know it starts snowing right at the Canadian border. rolleyes.gif

You are changing the perimeters of the OP's question to suit your POV.
PA is only about 300 miles south of here as the crow flies.
Also the OP never mentioned that he has AC

And BTW read the last line in that quote you posted, (sorry I only put Texas as an etc, my bad):
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.