Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ouch, why do rear vented rotors cost so much??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
closed the deal last night for 2 pairs of 4-piston calipers for $200....designed for 22mm rotors, but I see no reason why they won't be okay with the 911 20mm rotors...now to go break into someones garage and get a pair of the billet 4-lug hubs

now back to the rotors.....PP has the fronts for $48 and the rears are $72 each...I guess one good thing is that one normally goes thru front rotors faster than rear rotors...we shall see....

BigD9146gt
Mike, the 20mm rotor will be fine with a 22mm capable caliper.
ArtechnikA
because while the fronts are relatively shallow, and bolt to the hub, the rears are fairly deep, and incorporate a fairly thick and concentrically machined brake drum for the parking / e-brake.

i think i'd take advantage of the thickness differential to run some of those titanium pad insulators, but that's just me. 911 rear brakes have the "opportunity" to do a bigger share of the work since the back is already a lot heavier to start with ...
Part Pricer

Smitty's has rear Brembo rotors for only $52.39 each. Buy two and that's $104.78 shipping included.

Mueller
titanium pad insulators
...I thought about those this morning, the cost of those are sorta hard to justify right now smile.gif

my 964 front brakes rotors are designed just like the rears with the deep offset hubs....you can hardly tell the difference between the 2 just sitting on the workbench (I've only had new rotors and pads for 1 year...just too lazy to change them headbang.gif )

Mueller
thanks Paul....

speaking of rear rotors.....someone made a big-brake kit using 930 rear rotors on the front.....heavier than using an aluminum hat bolted up to a rotor, but less parts to deal with and simpler.....
Part Pricer

I actually found them cheaper at El Auto Parts I just didn't look down the screen far enough. headbang.gif

$49.68 each with free ground shipping for orders over $50.

But, if you want them you better hurry. A quick look direct into WorldPac inventory only shows two in stock.

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 2 2005, 12:40 PM)
my 964 front brakes rotors are designed just like the rears with the deep offset hubs....you can hardly tell the difference between the 2 just sitting on the workbench

i thought we were talking about 914-compatible 911 vented rear disks ...

anyway, the point is the same - there's an additional machining step, and it occurs not only in a different plane, but it must be concentric with the hub centerline.
Mueller
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 2 2005, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 2 2005, 12:40 PM)
my 964 front brakes rotors are designed just like the rears with the deep offset hubs....you can hardly tell the difference between the 2 just sitting on the workbench

i thought we were talking about 914-compatible 911 vented rear disks ...

anyway, the point is the same - there's an additional machining step, and it occurs not only in a different plane, but it must be concentric with the hub centerline.

yes, we are, I just went off a little there smile.gif

I do see why they cost more, I guess I feel better complaining about it, LOL

Mueller
otherwise he'd be lookin where he was

ever do that in a flat bottom boat? smile.gif boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.