Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Convertable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I stumbled across this from a user's link in the signature....can this sorta thing be done?
ClayPerrine
It has been done. Personally I dont' see the point, the 914 gives you all the benefits of a convertible, but you get a hard top for use when the weather is bad.

Having lived with convertibles the targa top is much better.

bd1308
you make a good point....i had a Jeep. The Mother F*(&(^*%*%&%*^)9 leaked water all over the place. I had to stick a T-shirt behind the visors to catch the water when it rained so it wouldnt drip all over me....that and it was freaky to see those soft doors flex outward and catch the wind going 75...NEVRMIND! I'm happy with my targa. wink.gif
Gustl
this one ('75 2.0) is for sale here in Austria wink.gif

buck toenges
Once in college I removed the rear glass in my 914. It was loud as h*ll! Engine noise was really reduced by the rear glass. I thought it would help out air flow in the cockpit. It sucked on both counts. Put the glass back in . Never looked back.
skline
On top of everything else that was mentioned, you would need to install a roll bar if you wanted to race the car on a track.
ClayPerrine
With the back window being fixed, Those of us in Texas can put a gunrack in the back window.. like the pick-em-up drivers. Makes it more better when we have to shoot Yankees and California weenies like Zois........... ar15.gif
skline
Better hope you are a really good shot, He shoots back!!!
RON S.
QUOTE (Gustl B @ Feb 2 2005, 11:49 AM)
this one ('75 2.0) is for sale here in Austria wink.gif

Wouldn't it be nice if that guy had an extra one of those ATS 5-lug wheels lying around he would part with.

I've been lookin&lookin&lookin for one to make up for the 3 I have left after some A-hole stole one off my '6r way back in 1997.
They are nice wheel.

Ron
mike_the_man
Also, with the convertible conversion, it looks like the top covers the engine lid. You'd think that would have to affect cooling, as well as making it a b!tch to work on.

Never made sense to me. It's nice to have a hard top.

Gustl
QUOTE (RON S. @ Feb 2 2005, 09:07 PM)
Wouldn't it be nice if that guy had an extra one of those ATS 5-lug wheels lying around he would part with.

it looks more like a 4-lug wheel to me idea.gif
914werke
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Feb 2 2005, 12:20 PM)
Also, with the convertible conversion, it looks like the top covers the engine lid. You'd think that would have to affect cooling, as well as making it a b!tch to work on.

Never made sense to me. It's nice to have a hard top.

In the case of the 1st pictured car they addressed the cooling by creating scoops extending from the door handles that fed air to the now covered eng bay, not sure how they exited the hot air but I like the design of those scoops for potential cold air intake.
SLITS
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 2 2005, 01:03 PM)
With the back window being fixed, Those of us in Texas can put a gunrack in the back window.. like the pick-em-up drivers. Makes it more better when we have to shoot Yankees and California weenies like Zois........... ar15.gif

Sheeeet Howday...ya'll suck up so much LoneStar, ya'll couldn't hit the side of a barn with a 12 guage let alone a rifle.....

How can you tell an Aggie is on location at a drilling rig?
He's the one throwing bread to the helicopters.

Two Aggie builders were working on a house. One Aggie was on a ladder nailing. He'd reach into his nail pouch, pull out a nail, look at it, and either toss it over his shoulder or proceed to nail it into the wood.
The other Aggie couldn't stand it any longer and yells up, "Why are you throwing some of the nails away?"

The first Aggie explained, "When I pull it out of my nail pouch, if it's pointed toward me I throw it away. If it's pointed toward the house, then I can use it!"

The second Aggie got real excited and called him all kinds of names, explaining, "Don't throw away those nails that are pointed toward you! They're for the other side of the house!!"

An Aggie happens across a professor who is staring intently into an aquarium. The Aggie, says, "Professor, what are you doing?"
The professor answers, "I'm attempting mental telepathy with this fish. You see, if my mind is stronger than theirs, I can control their thoughts. Umm, why don't you try it!"

The Aggie, certain of his ability to successfully control the fish, stares into the tank for a few seconds. Then, all of the sudden, his eyes start bugging and his mouth makes a little 'o' shape like he's pushing water through his gills.

Ferg
**Hijack**
Ron,
I'll keep my eye out for you for the five lug, I was lucky to find a set of 4 for the track...

biggrin.gif

Ferg.
Twystd1
Did someone call me a Kali weenie AND bring guns into the equation?

Why I outa..............................................

Them thar is fighting words.............................

Bet ya a sixer I can whup ya on the 1000 meter range with a BB gun...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twystd1
bd1308
OH NO YOU DONT....not another hi-jack is taking place here. You hi-jack, i'll shoot ar15.gif ar15.gif
jd74914
those converts are fugly. reddawg racing does some (never used anything from them tho). i can't imagine they are any better than targas, is a psychological think, they are probably louder and definately heaver and obscure the engine venting

atleast those cars aren't sixes, bug waste of a teener to sut the targa off and make it a ragtop. barf.gif barf.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 2 2005, 03:17 PM)
Did someone call me a Kali weenie AND bring guns into the equation?

Why I outa..............................................

Them thar is fighting words.............................

Bet ya a sixer I can whup ya on the 1000 meter range with a BB gun...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twystd1

Want to try me?

I shot expert with every personal firearm that the US Army issued for every year I was in.

If I can see it, I can kill it. ar15.gif

Plus, I didn't think the liberals in the PRC allowed anyone to own firearms, much less actually fire them........
bd1308
yeah i agree....didn't think of the engine sound. Sounds loud enough in my car with all of the windows shut, let alone have it a ragtop. nobody liked the jeep story....all true. ruined so many T-shirts too
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 2 2005, 01:26 PM)
yeah i agree....didn't think of the engine sound. Sounds loud enough in my car with all of the windows shut, let alone have it a ragtop. nobody liked the jeep story....all true. ruined so many T-shirts too

clap.gif <---sympathy applause wink.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
Rider914
I think you are talking about a "soft" top car, but my conversion gives plenty of access to the engine. . .

Rider914
and the engine cover (fiberglass) only weighs around 10 lbs. The stock top goes back on and I guess it is around 50 lbs. just for the targa roll bar.

Gustl
does anybody here knows the so called "Menschik Speedster"?
this car started life as a real GT, sponsored by the Heineken brewery
after it's race history a german guy bought it and converted it to this:

jim_hoyland
Shot of scoop on Steve's convertible...
jd74914
if you are going for the totally open feel, the removable targa bar with roll bar seems to be a good idea
vw-porsche
hi, the thread is already many years old. is there still a need for information about the Menschik car?

regards

uwe
AZBanks
QUOTE(vw-porsche @ Jan 5 2022, 03:39 AM) *

hi, the thread is already many years old. is there still a need for information about the Menschik car?

regards

uwe

Yes, If you have some info, please post it.
Gatornapper
Totally agree Clay. 914 top is best of both worlds, closed coupe, open air.

BTW, Enzo Ferrari said, "Playboys drive convertibles. Serious drivers drive coupes."

GN

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 2 2005, 02:34 PM) *

It has been done. Personally I dont' see the point, the 914 gives you all the benefits of a convertible, but you get a hard top for use when the weather is bad.

Having lived with convertibles the targa top is much better.

Gatornapper
What an ancient post.

I have read a number of places that the 914 needs its rollbar for structural integrity, and a lot is lost if it is removed.

Sorry, don't remember sources - but makes sense to me. Others might know.......

GN

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Feb 2 2005, 02:30 PM) *

I stumbled across this from a user's link in the signature....can this sorta thing be done?

76-914
QUOTE(vw-porsche @ Jan 5 2022, 02:39 AM) *

regards

uwe

@Gustl
vw-porsche
the Menschik speedster actually emerged in 1985 from a 914-6 GT - it was the car that the Heineken brewery originally used. the GT served (unfortunately) as the basis for the speedster. the builder was pleased that the body was particularly stiffened. the car had also been rebuilt in terms of interior equipment, wheels, etc. and thus deviated greatly from the original. the original 2.7 Carrera RS engine served as the engine, albeit with carburetors. the original twin-igniter engine is thought to be lost. the car changed hands several times at the end of the 80s. in 1990 i bought parts from the last owner of the car in germany. he partially dismantled the car. thus the car only existed as a speedster for 5 years. essentially I bought the RS engine and the complete exhaust system. the engine was built into my 914-6 (see attached picture from back then). the car itself was sold to italy - i mean to rome - to restore the original GT condition there. I know the data of the speedster builder as well as the last owner. I hope I could help a bit. regards uwe
vw-porsche
pic
rick 918-S
Wow! Great addition to this old thread! welcome.png
Bobdelac
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 2 2005, 01:49 PM) *

this one ('75 2.0) is for sale here in Austria <!-- emo&;) -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

Hello Wolfgang,
I bought this car in 2016 (Berlin auction site). If you were the previous owner it would be interesting to talk together. There is an international Porsche 914 meeting in Belgium this year (Mid-May, 120 Porsche 914). If you have the opportunity to participate, we can meet.
Robert

Pic: I have slightly changed the 914 color.Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
forget it!!!! Weakens and ruins the car!!!

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Feb 2 2005, 12:30 PM) *

flipb
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 10 2024, 10:08 AM) *

forget it!!!! Weakens and ruins the car!!!

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Feb 2 2005, 12:30 PM) *

Is 19 years a new record for most-delayed feisty reply?
Root_Werks
Only seen a few convertible conversions in person. The 914 doesn't look bad as a convertible.

Wouldn't be interested in one myself. Like the hard top.

Now if someone wanted to make a soft targa top like the 911's had. That'd be cool!
friethmiller
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 10 2024, 10:22 AM) *

Only seen a few convertible conversions in person. The 914 doesn't look bad as a convertible.

Wouldn't be interested in one myself. Like the hard top.

Now if someone wanted to make a soft targa top like the 911's had. That'd be cool!

agree.gif
Jeff_72
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 2 2005, 02:03 PM) *

With the back window being fixed, Those of us in Texas can put a gunrack in the back window.. like the pick-em-up drivers. Makes it more better when we have to shoot Yankees and California weenies like Z............ <!-- emo&:shoot2kill: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

agree.gif
burton73
Bob Farnham
@BobFarnhamVenice

Back in the 80s you could find these custom bodied 914 built by Beach Boys Racing running around the West Side, I bought a couple of CD or DVD from him when he closed up shop and went up to Lake Arrowhead. This is a West Coast thing and I live 4 miles from where his shop was. Ottos was next door to BBR So I found that Bob Farnham put up a number of vids up on UTube. Enjoy

I always like the Chalon Kit when Mitcom came out with it in the old days. There are lots of haters but I do like the styling of these.

Best Bob B not Bob F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_T1rt5KHpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU4e-zcXMPs

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XhFhQedRNG4

930cabman
I kinda like the look, but the targa top is awfully convenient and effective idea.gif
technicalninja
I'd worry about structural integrity.

I think the targa bar to rear fenders and rear firewall is one of the strongest sections in the car anyways.

You cut that out?

I once had a 78 280Z that a PO "targa" modded.
Car was re-enforced, but poorly done.

Handled "whippy"
Terrible to drive.

Destroyed a pretty good Z car, besides the cut roof it was nice.

Ended up losing money on a fire sale...

Any of you convertible owners also own a stock one?

That's the guy I'd want an opinion from...
AZBanks
I owned this just long enough to discover the fiberglass covering a completely rusted out chassis.

It had a Buick Grand National engine in it at one point in it's life

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 10 2024, 11:39 AM) *

Bob Farnham
@BobFarnhamVenice

Back in the 80s you could find these custom bodied 914 built by Beach Boys Racing running around the West Side, I bought a couple of CD or DVD from him when he closed up shop and went up to Lake Arrowhead. This is a West Coast thing and I live 4 miles from where his shop was. Ottos was next door to BBR So I found that Bob Farnham put up a number of vids up on UTube. Enjoy

I always like the Chalon Kit when Mitcom came out with it in the old days. There are lots of haters but I do like the styling of these.

Best Bob B not Bob F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_T1rt5KHpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU4e-zcXMPs

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XhFhQedRNG4

I actually owned a Charlon that was converted into a full convertible
Click to view attachment
IPB Image
IPB Image

I have a NOS Chalon Kit.

IPB Image
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.