Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GoPro set ups
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben*james
I'm late to the game but I really want to get onboard with GoPro.

1). What is the best method, place and hardware to set up in a 914

2). What version of the GoPro is optimal for the teener in all of us

3). Tips and tricks working with and maximising the value of the camera/software

Thanks for your thoughtful responses in advance. I can't imagine buying anything car related without checking here first. Hi,....my name is Ben and I'm a worldaholic....
chads74
I just mounted mine to the back glass. That way I you can see what your doing while driving and a ok front view.
mepstein
I used to sell them. I bought my son the silver version. Very nice. You need the proper memory, Cant be the cheap low speed stuff. By at least one extra battery and the grab bag of mounts.
dudzy's914
I haven't tested it on my car...yet. For the maximizing the value part, the GoPro studio is the best way to edit, simple and very effective. I have a Hero3 silver( consumer grade) and with a few tweaks in the GoPro studio the video can look like the high end Heros. I don't believe you can buy the 3's anymore but the Hero3+ is still available.
GeorgeRud
It seems most folks are mounting them on the windshield with the suction cup mount. We bought the video back for ours, but I think the long life battery is a better choice. Though there is a lag from real time, the Bluetooth feature does make it nice to be able to monitor and control the camera remotely. I bought a Hero 3+, but there is a newer one out now.

What do people do for a microphone? The closed cases seem to muffle the sound levels significantly.
MoveQik
I have the Hero3+ black. Haven't gone too crazy with it but the HD is really good if you upload HD. I don't usually just in the name of time. As far as mounting, the back window is great. I also used the triangle window. The second half of this video shows you what you'll see from those angles. Eric Lowe(Sleepin) is really handy with them so take any advice he has to offer.

Check it - RRC2014
Mike Bellis
I built my own mount. smile.gif
I also have the remote mic for the Hero3...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
oldschool
I do the GoPros for Jay leno Garage and we use GoPro3+ funny I have about 10min to get 3 to 4 ready so he can take the car out for a ride driving.gif Haven't done a 914 but some real fast ride's, We put them on the front fender, front windshield,on the back looking forward etc..
but yes 2 battery and a fast card is the ticket agree.gif
Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Oldschool,

What do you suggest for muffling the sound. I tried sticking a piece of closed cell foam on the back of the open case. Did not seem to work well. I get a lot of buffeting and I was hoping for a clearer crisper sound.

John
oldschool
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 9 2014, 08:30 PM) *

Oldschool,

What do you suggest for muffling the sound. I tried sticking a piece of closed cell foam on the back of the open case. Did not seem to work well. I get a lot of buffeting and I was hoping for a clearer crisper sound.

John

New GoPro they have way better sound, we use a real sound guy and put his gear in the car, Funny just as i'm writing this I got a picture sent to me of what I'm setting up tomorrow at jay's .....it's going to be a challenge. unsure.gif
GeorgeRud
Sounds like you have a nice job! I love the videos that Jay has put out and looking forward to his new show.
wndsnd
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 10 2014, 12:28 AM) *

Oldschool,

John

New GoPro they have way better sound, we use a real sound guy and put his gear in the car, Funny just as i'm writing this I got a picture sent to me of what I'm setting up tomorrow at jay's .....it's going to be a challenge. unsure.gif

I have a Hero3 White purchased this summer. Newer that that? What are you using?

Thanks
ben*james
QUOTE(chads74 @ Dec 9 2014, 06:25 PM) *

I just mounted mine to the back glass. That way I you can see what your doing while driving and a ok front view.

I'm taking a guess here how these things set up....but you must have used a suction cup mount confused24.gif ?

EDIT...CONFIRMED

That angle though, seeing the driver in action is so far my favorite view. Seems to capture the sound better than being exposed directly to the wind.
ben*james
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 9 2014, 06:35 PM) *

I used to sell them. I bought my son the silver version. Very nice. You need the proper memory, Cant be the cheap low speed stuff. By at least one extra battery and the grab bag of mounts.

Any specific specs to look for in batteries? TIA

ben*james
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 10 2014, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 10 2014, 12:28 AM) *

Oldschool,

John

I have a Hero3 White purchased this summer. Newer that that? What are you using?

Thanks

So there appears to be a HERO4 black or silver now. I wonder if these have the better sounds?
Andyrew
If you REALLY want better sound grab a 10ft 3.5" cable and an nice external mic, then tape it where you want (Engine bay for example).

You'll need a hero 2 at least for that as it has a mic input.

I have a hero 1 and 2, 2 spare batteries and 5 16gig class 10 cards (That I share with my digital camera). I find the camera runs out of battery about the same time the cards fill up.
oldschool
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 10 2014, 12:39 PM) *

If you REALLY want better sound grab a 10ft 3.5" cable and an nice external mic, then tape it where you want (Engine bay for example).

You'll need a hero 2 at least for that as it has a mic input.

I have a hero 1 and 2, 2 spare batteries and 5 16gig class 10 cards (That I share with my digital camera). I find the camera runs out of battery about the same time the cards fill up.

agree.gif
oldschool
Click to view attachmentShoot this today laugh.gif
ben*james
For the unimaginative....please post any pictures of your gopro set ups.
Chris914n6
You're not that late Ben. I'm looking to do the same thing...

I've noticed quite a few competitors to the Gopro have come out recently. Any of them worthy as the Gopro is kinda pricey?
Woody
I mount mine in different places depending on what I want to see. Sometimes I will mount it outside on one of the rear flares to see how close I am getting to the cones, sometimes I will mount it on the windshield looking down at the front of the car, I've also mounted the camera to my rear wing to get a view from the back. This is mounted to the rear glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbc90QwwRVE
GeorgeRud
I see your dash mounted pole dancer shows you which way to turn! piratenanner.gif
naro914
All of the video's I've taken over the past few years have been with an original GoPro Hero (you can see them on the website link below) Previously, I had used a Sony Handicam...you can certainly tell the difference! and...I saved the videos from the GoPro in much lower resolution than what the original was - 1 minute is something like 100MB of memory.!!!

In Huey, we use the suction cup mount allowing us to move it around. In Papa Smurf, we have a Motorsports clamp style mount (comes in the kit) that's clamped to the roll cage.

If you get an older GoPro, or GoPro 2, I sell a button that can be plugged into the back so you can turn it on 'remotely'. Its a wire connection - not bluetooth or anything like that - but it works very well and allows you to mount the camera anywhere and turn it on and off. I have one mounted in dash of both cars (I have one with an LED light too) I don't know if it works with the newer versions.
Woody
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 12 2014, 07:43 AM) *

I see your dash mounted pole dancer shows you which way to turn! piratenanner.gif

She's great. Her name is Whortney.
oldschool
QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 12 2014, 05:44 AM) *

All of the video's I've taken over the past few years have been with an original GoPro Hero (you can see them on the website link below) Previously, I had used a Sony Handicam...you can certainly tell the difference! and...I saved the pictures from the GoPro in much lower resolution than what the original was - 1 minute is something like 100MB of memory.

In Huey, we use the suction cup mount allowing us to move it around. In Papa Smurf, we have a Motorsports clamp style mount (comes in the kit) that's clamped to the roll cage.

If you get an older GoPro, or GoPro 2, I sell a button that can be plugged into the back so you can turn it on 'remotely'. Its a wire connection - not bluetooth or anything like that - but it works very well and allows you to mount the camera anywhere and turn it on and off. I have one mounted in dash of both cars (I have one with an LED light too) I don't know if it works with the newer versions.

I like going this way...Click to view attachment
ben*james
Looks like the later versions have Bluetooth sync with remote start stop while earlier versions need a button attached by a cord. A wealth of information here, as usual. Thanks everyone.
campbellcj
I have the earlier HD version. I usually have it on the rollcage, upside down, where the stock rear view mirror normally would be. I use 720p 60fps mode, center-weighted metering. I got the optional display back because aiming it without that or the newer version with wifi streaming is friggen impossible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.