Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: excellence article on 6 conversions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
the latest excellence has a good article on costs/work involved in converting from a 4 to a 6, good read, and it points out how expensive it can get-good info for anyone contemplating the swap!
ArtechnikA
another happy customer...

(four new threads on this article this week alone ...)
Kerrys914
Where the hell is my copy sad.gif
Damn, and I thought I got it in the mail first!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Feb 2 2005, 03:20 PM)

got mine Thursday, nyah nyah nyah !

prolly your postal delivery creature is still reading it.

(i hope mine is having a good time watching the DVD's s/he claims was delivered to my PO box but that that i never got...)
watsonrx13
Just finished reading mine, excellent article...

Looking forward to the follow up article about installing a 911 front suspension and upgrading the rear brakes...

BTW, this is my first issue. I started subscribing because of the support of the 914, by the magazine, and the highly regarded suggestions by the members of this BBS...

Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 2 2005, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Feb 2 2005, 03:20 PM)

got mine Thursday, nyah nyah nyah !

Now wait just a Damn minute!!!

isn't the Excellence magazine printed & mailed out from Ross, Ca???

so how do You have your copy in Philly, while some of us here in Calif (ok, me) doesn't have mine yet????
bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif

>>> My copy was waiting for me when I got home!
My likey the Excellence magazine clap.gif clap.gif
IronHillRestorations
Got mine today, and briefly scanned through including the 6 conversion article. Found a glaring error though, Pasha credited the engine mount to Velios, when I'm fairly certain that's a Rich Johnson mount. I wouldn't send somebody I didn't like to buy used dog crap from Velios, but then again I'm partial against liers and shady dealers. Besides that it seems to be done in Pasha's usual good way.
Maltese Falcon
Jim P. also credits the headers to Bursch...while they are actually made by European Headers (Bursch = no merged collectors/ no stub extensions). Check the editorial continuity please--prior to print screwy.gif
I'm not too sure about the rear fender oil cooler location, but anything to save on 20' of AN line I guess ! All in all a good article --worth the $4.99/ Can $6.99 pray.gif
marty
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Feb 2 2005, 07:27 PM)
Jim P. also credits the headers to Bursch...while they are actually made by European Headers (Bursch = no merged collectors/ no stub extensions). Check the editorial continuity please--prior to print screwy.gif

Yea, I forgot about that one too. I put a oil cooler in the same location, but it was to save the front trunk, and worked fine.
redshift
Hey Perry, is that your car in your avatar?

How much you want for it?

M
BigD9146gt
So let me get this straight, Exellence April issue comes out on the first of February?
horizontally-opposed
Sorry about the errors in the conversion article. Most bummed about the erroneous caption. As for the Patrick and Vellios thing, and especially the Rich Johnson thing, I have no choice but to trust each author at some level. I wish I had a bigger staff and could research every tidbit and photo, but I don't.

Even if I did, dumb errors still get through. I said nine or ten o'clock instead of two or three o'clock on the wheel in the C-GT article. Five people here read that and nobody caught it. But one of our 55,000 readers did, and I am sure a few more will...

Publishing, like everything else is very human. The difference with publishing is you press a button and send the whole thing off to the printers. And once the errors are there, they're there FOREVER. biggrin.gif

pete
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (BigD9146gt @ Feb 2 2005, 10:56 PM)
So let me get this straight, Exellence April issue comes out on the first of February?

magazines are dated for the month in which they are to be removed from the newsstand...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Feb 3 2005, 12:34 PM)
And once the errors are there, they're there FOREVER.

i just finished my last (I MEAN IT THIS TIME!) stint as a PCA regional newsletter editor; i can relate!

remember: doctors bury their mistakes, publishers send them out into the world for all to see.
TJB/914
Hey Pete,

Great article & thanks for promoting 914 interest. I believe the 914 will continue it's upward spiral with all Porsche people. I learned a lot about what goes into a magazine article (my car in issue #112 Aug. 2002). It's was a surprise, how many people picked up details in pictures. For example turning the slide picture 180 degree showing the right side steering wheel on the left side. Working with the contributing writer's & you have some great ones! I now look at EXCELLENCE differently and study why you do somethings & why you did it. Hope that makes sense. I am impressed with your photography skills as much as your writting skills. Keep up the 914 articles & maybe some of these 914 addicts will subscribe to EXCELLENCE.

Regards,
Tom, HIPO-2L Chrome Yellow
horizontally-opposed
They really should read about that 10-cylinder 914-6 GT...the only new car that's given me fits since it left the office. That and (maybe) the GT3... wacko.gif

Don't get me wrong, the new cars are amazing, and sublime daily drivers. But I am with a lot of you in that I will happily make some sacrifices for "that" edge.

Was talking to Jim at EASY this morning and mentioned just how much I loved driving the 914 into work this morning. He thinks that says a lot about how good the 914 is.

And he is right.

pete
Pete,

Thanks for your good work,

I think that lately excellence has been doing a better job of balancing the big buck new 996 tuner articles (and similar big $$$ stories) with solid ariticles on the classics, keep it up!

One thing that I think all of us on this forum know is that while Porsche is forced to broaden it's product lineup in order to stay as an independent, it's important that the die hard old schoolers-like most of us, who love the cars for how they feel on the road (without psm, ceramic brakes, 12in wide wheels, etc..) that make these cars so special.
-Adam
Chris Julian
Anyone have a web site address to Excellence? I can't seem to find their website. Better yet anyone have Pete Stouts e-mail address? He gave me his card a year ago and I lost it. wacko.gif

Thanks, Chris
jim_hoyland
HOW DOES ONE GET EXCELLENCE ? SUBSCRIPTION ? MEMBERSHIP ? FREEBE ):
ArtechnikA
one downside to entering the website game late is that all the good URL's have been taken ...

Excellence Magazine Online

pretty sure you can subscribe through the website; i subscribed at Amazon.com

Pete goes by horizontally_opposed here - do a members search for 'name starts with' and you should be able to track him down in no time...

actually - you don't even need to do that - he's posted in this very thread - up a few posts from this one. he's got both an email and a PM button enabled; go for it.
rhodyguy
chairfall.gif . if you guys are buying execllence from an outfit like borders, you're thowing money away. subscribe!!! i think i went for 2 years, pretty big discount and you don't have to drive to get one wacko.gif . you will also be on the same page when we're talking about may's issue in feb. biggrin.gif

k
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 25 2005, 03:44 PM)
if you guys are buying execllence from an outfit like borders, you're thowing money away. subscribe!!!

i do subscribe to excellence.

but i hafta go to Barnes & Noble anyway, 'cause it's cheaper to buy "911 & Porsche" and "Race Car Engineering" over the counter than it is to subscribe!

(subscriptions for the UK magazines come with individual air mail postage, and the bookstore distributors ship them in bulk...)
Root_Werks
QUOTE (9146986 @ Feb 2 2005, 07:02 PM)
Got mine today, and briefly scanned through including the 6 conversion article. Found a glaring error though, Pasha credited the engine mount to Velios, when I'm fairly certain that's a Rich Johnson mount. I wouldn't send somebody I didn't like to buy used dog crap from Velios, but then again I'm partial against liers and shady dealers. Besides that it seems to be done in Pasha's usual good way.

Yep, that is a Rich mount, not a Vellios mount. The V mount, the wiring loom goes in front of the mount, the Rich mount it is behind the mount so you don't have to pull it through.

Also, the Rich mount doesn't have the center section that goes down like the Vellios mount does.

Maddog on the club here makes a good copy of the Vellios mount. I slapped one in my latest six project.

FYI - these things are EASY to replicate and many people have.
Rusty
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 25 2005, 03:48 PM)
but i hafta go to Barnes & Noble anyway, 'cause it's cheaper to buy "911 & Porsche" and "Race Car Engineering" over the counter than it is to subscribe!

Do you get "Whine Lifestyle" and "Cheese Monthly" while you're there picking up tail-dragger rags? lol3.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Mar 25 2005, 04:32 PM)
Do you get "Whine Lifestyle" and "Cheese Monthly" while you're there picking up tail-dragger rags? lol3.gif

we don't have to; we're on staff & get comps ...
airsix
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Mar 25 2005, 01:02 PM)
FYI - these things are EASY to replicate and many people have.

I'd like to make my own six mount. I've got the tools and all the steel plate I want for $0.10/lb at the local yard. All I need is a patern. ...Anyone? .....Anyone? confused24.gif

-Ben M.
9146R
Pete,

I love getting your mag it's my favorite read by a mile (kilometer)...read it cover to cover. Before I started my 914 project/dream I ordered all your back issues that had any articles on the teener. They were very informative. Look forward to the April issue. Keep up the good work !
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (9146R @ Mar 25 2005, 05:35 PM)
...Look forward to the April issue.

i'm not Pete, but the May issue has been out for a while now...

(250 MPH 911 on the cover...)

brp914
I've subscribed to Excellence for years, then it just disappeared. Maybe my subscription expired, I don't know. But no warning, no nuthin. I used to receive European car until they did an article on restoring a Volvo station wagon. Hoo boy, dropped that thing like a hot potato. They hassled me for years to renew. But Excellence? Nada. Been going to B Dalton to buy a copy so I could fill out the subscription card, but now they dont have it. Ofcourse they have every other ridiculous rag you could possibly imagine.
Hawktel
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Feb 3 2005, 09:34 AM)

Even if I did, dumb errors still get through. I said nine or ten o'clock instead of two or three o'clock on the wheel in the C-GT article.

I caught it, but I just figured you califonicators was weirdo.

Just teasing Pete, "Excellent" work. I love your magazine. I can't wait to see what you guys can find out about the the Panamera, and Boxster Caimon. Other Car rags might get some of the spy stuff to press first, but your guys being porsche guys make more insightfull comments.

You guys think you can get away with a SBC conversion arghticle at some point?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.