Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow! This looks pretty nice...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Looks pretty well done to me, although frikin' expensive!

917 Replica
scruz914
"The car can be fitted with a 5.4 litre flat-12 at extra cost, should the new owner so desire."

I would desire it. Wonder how much extra?
SLITS
The Howard Agency should buy this and donate it as a prize for the longest distance traveled in a Teener to the WCC05. smilie_pokal.gif
ewdysar
If that's the prize, I'm moving to Tierra del Fuego biggrin.gif

Eric
ArtechnikA
as kit cars go, it's nicer than most.

i suspect you can find a core flat-12 for under $100,000 but probably not much under ...

it's basically just 2 2,7's joined at the middle, so the only had part would be if you needed a crankshaft. or a case. or a cam. but the P&C's should be pretty easy :-)
Howard
QUOTE (ewdysar @ Feb 2 2005, 12:22 PM)
If that's the prize, I'm moving to Tierra del Fuego biggrin.gif

Eric

If you take Slits with you, bet we could start a fund raiser...... biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 2 2005, 09:18 PM)
The Howard Agency should buy this and donate it as a prize for the longest distance traveled in a Teener to the WCC05. smilie_pokal.gif  

in this case I'm sure I'd be competitive laugh.gif

but, I would have to start next week w00t.gif
mike_the_man
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 2 2005, 12:18 PM)

I second that motion! Now that's something that would motivate me to attempt the trip in my 914. Between spare parts and tools I wouldn't have any room for clothes or luggage, so I hope somebody has some spare undies for me to wear! ohmy.gif

scruz914
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Feb 2 2005, 01:31 PM)
I wouldn't have any room for clothes or luggage, so I hope somebody has some spare undies for me to wear! ohmy.gif

Just borrow the ones from the gal in your avatar. You could pack enough of those to last for weeks!
mike_the_man
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Feb 2 2005, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Feb 2 2005, 01:31 PM)
I wouldn't have any room for clothes or luggage, so I hope somebody has some spare undies for me to wear!  :o

Just borrow the ones from the gal in your avatar. You could pack enough of those to last for weeks!

I suppose those wouldn't take up much room, would they. I could probably just fill up my pockets. I hate the way thongs ride up, though. Very uncomfortable for long drives! unsure.gif
Rockaria
Here is a link to the manufacturer.

http://www.kraftwerkz.net/

I hear they make them, sans engine, for just over 80K. That is if you can get on the list.
vortrex
user posted image
kafermeister
Wow! That's not your run of the mill Laser 917 is it. I've seen a few custom built 917s before (on the internet). I love those things, even as reporductions.

R
Joe Bob
QUOTE (vortrex @ Feb 2 2005, 01:00 PM)
user posted image

Yer kidding me>>>THAT'S a flat 12?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 2 2005, 06:46 PM)

bingo. a Typ 912 5,4-liter 917 engine.

minus the rat's next of plug wires and injector piping we normally see running around on the top of the shroud.

it really is (essentially) 2 2,7-liter 911 engines stuck together. the "trick" thing is that the power is taken off from the *center* of the crankshaft.

as a little company (as they then were) Porsche had to maximise the return on everything. how did they make 25 917's by the homologation deadline? they used the most of what they had a lot of. why was the first 917 4,5 liters in a 5-liter class? 1970 911 - 2,2 liter flat-6 -- times two ... lots of lovely titanium 911R/906 connecting rods lying around... they knew what cams worked with little 6's, the heads were easy...

(not much) later when they'd developed the Nikasil P&C's with Mahle t'was a simple trick to do the same stroker crank trick and drop in 90mm cylinders and 10,3:1 forged racing pistons, ta da 5,4 liters... (2 2,7's ...)
Mueller
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 2 2005, 04:46 PM)

it's got power, but it'll never win a beauty contest smile.gif

KaptKaos
You see the other cars they have there? drooley.gif

Abarth, GTA, Lusso, ooooooo - me like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.