Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actual Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
try this one out for size...its confusing...but then again considering the source, i thought it would be neat to see who does what with thier beloved 914
Aaron Cox
Daily Driver / Weekend warrior biggrin.gif

Cars are meant to be driven...get out there and drive wink.gif
TimT
racecar

kermit
yeah, you forgot the most important use: competition....
GWN7
You left out as one of the options for the poll "A place to store your jackstands under" wink.gif
type47
default vote = summer driver

no garage
not a daily driver they put salt on the roads and i don't like to get it wet (yes, a weenie)
antique tags so i'm not supposed to drive it to work
bondo
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Feb 2 2005, 02:39 PM)
You left out as one of the options for the poll "A place to store your jackstands under" wink.gif

agree.gif that's what I use mine for smile.gif When I'm done it'll be a daily driver though.
Mueller
when I get it registered and get the turn signals working, I hope it to be a daily driver...right now I just buzz around the neighborhood knowing I'm pretty safe from the police smile.gif

"A place to store your jackstands under"

speaking of jackstands....I had to build a cabinet at home just for my jackstands.....for some reason I have 3.5 pairs of jackstands screwy.gif

GWN7
Mike....look under your car for the other 1/2 biggrin.gif
bd1308
can i edit the poll? I think the option "Keeping Jackstands warm" and "Competition" are valid additons to the poll....could some admin chime in?
bd1308
I thought the coffee table thing was neat....a story follows that one: My mom walked out of the garage to find scratches all over her XJ6's trunk. Pissed she was but she couldnt figure out why... If you all dont know, I have a 4 year old brother and he likes to get in things. Apparently, his plastic play truck (Home Depot edition...cool little thing) couldnt fit between the garage door and the submarine (as i like to call the XJ6--that thing is a tank!) so what the kid will do is get the toy from one side of the garage, put it on the trunk, and while walking in the space betweent he car and the door, he will drag the car across the trunk. smart kid. now that i think about it, that story has no relation to the coffee table entry. Admin-person, is there anyway you could fix my mistakes?
Howard
About 3 times per week to tour the twisties, once a month to the track, and whenever I can't deal with those pesky 'reality' issues.

'Course, I'm lucky enough to have 2 that work, they both need exercise, so do get my teener time in.
bd1308
yeah when i had the Jeep and wanted to drive the 914, I never could--something always broke or it ran like shit. Now if ether of the two happens, I just adjust it. I couldn't afford to not being able to drive, so i just learned things i needed to know to keep the 914 running. Worked fine for me
seanery
we can change the poll, but it negates every vote before the change...you're just gonna have to live with it as is or delete this thread and make a new one.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Howard @ Feb 2 2005, 02:04 PM)
About 3 times per week to tour the twisties, once a month to the track, and whenever I can't deal with those pesky 'reality' issues.

agree.gif

Mine is somewhere between dalily driver / garage queen / track star.
I drive my car. driving.gif Just not every day.
bd1308
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 2 2005, 02:33 PM)
we can change the poll, but it negates every vote before the change...you're just gonna have to live with it as is or delete this thread and make a new one.

what do you guys think....it completly slipped my mind to put the 914's soul purpose....competition..sorry. sad.gif
bd1308
smile.gif wow...alot more daily drivers then i thought.
bondo
I'll vote again if you re-do.
nebreitling
fun jaunts and competition.

and pissing of the stanford DPS. screwy.gif
scruz914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 2 2005, 03:02 PM)
...so what the kid will do is get the toy from one side of the garage, put it on the trunk, and while walking in the space betweent he car and the door, he will drag the car across the trunk. smart kid. now that i think about it, that story has no relation to the coffee table entry. Admin-person, is there anyway you could fix my mistakes?

May not have any relation to a coffee table but a funny story anyway. laugh.gif

Here in CA most of our daily drives are on sunny days!
ppickerell
Mine takes up space at HPH and I am told looks pretty forlorn nowadays.......sigh sad.gif unsure.gif barf.gif screwy.gif ar15.gif
mikerose
Jeff, we were in S.C this weeken and I saw a copper 914. Do you know it?

Mike cool_shades.gif
ppickerell
On the other hand I am liking my tail dragger more and more each day!
bd1308
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Feb 2 2005, 03:02 PM)
Here in CA most of our daily drives are on sunny days!

yeah unfortunately, here in Bowling Green (sigh) we either have clouds or lots and lots of rain....think forrest gump scene with him talking about the rain falling up. YUp folks, rain actually falls up here
Jenny
I drive my car whenever possible. That is, whenever it's not down for repairs. It's down right now. But I'm optimistic I'll be driving it within the next few weeks, if Rob Ways will release Brad from his hostage situation.

Jen

I also don't drive it when its raining.
scruz914
QUOTE (mikerose @ Feb 2 2005, 04:08 PM)
Jeff, we were in S.C this weeken and I saw a copper 914. Do you know it?

Mike cool_shades.gif

Mike,

For some reason I have only seen one 914 on the road in SC. It was a real nice yellow one. I know they are here. There are at least two other members that live in the area. I work over the hill so my lack of sightings may be due to that. Mine is silver so it wasn't me.

-Jeff
sanman
CHEAP THERAPY wacko.gif
sanman
QUOTE (sanman @ Feb 2 2005, 03:42 PM)
CHEAP THERAPY wacko.gif

agree.gif ME TOO! wacko.gif
Ray Warren
QUOTE (sanman @ Feb 2 2005, 06:43 PM)
CHEAP THERAPY wacko.gif

Yup me too.
2 or 3 times a week if the weather is good
and I senpd a couple of nights a week through
the winter in the garage tinkering with it.
This winter i am installing a new engine.
Can't wait till spring. driving.gif
Joe Bob
Race car, fun car, commuter car.....depends on which one I feel like taking out that day.... beerchug.gif
tracks914
Daily for 6 months of the year....parked in a snow covered garage for 6 months of the year.
That = part time driver. driving.gif
redshift
I drive mine. I have been driving mine since 1982, and when mine blow up, I buy another mine.

M(inesweeper)
Spoke
I drive mine every day when there is no rain or snow forcasted. After snowfalls, I wait until the roads are dry and most of the dirt, rocks, cinders, and salt (otherwise known in these parts as "anti-skid material") are pushed off of the road by other cars. The cold fronts that usually follow snowfalls keep the fresh snow on the side of the road from melting and making the roads wet, thus drivable with my 914.

Today kinda sucked as the morning temp was +17F and the roads were nice and dry on the way to work, but rose to about +29F with sun and caused lots of puddles of water+salt which I hate to get on my car. My other alternative is to not drive the 914 which sucks even more.

Spoke
CptTripps
When I'm done, it'll be a 'summer car'. My office is about 30min from home, and at the end of a LOT of twisty roads. Perfect to start/end the day. Ever since I got it, I'm ITCHING to drive it to work that first day. It's like I'm practicing where I'll be shifting and what routs work best. But the tiptronic on my 9-3 isn't all that great, so I'll just have to wait. wink.gif
SLITS
Other = I use it to store water in case of a drought.
Midtowner
I use mine as a decompression chamber after a hard day at work two times a week in the Cupertino hills. Way fun! driving.gif
SpecialK
My '75 has become a wildlife refuge for spiders and mice. wolfgang.gif (happy mice), and also allows me hone my pop-up camper backup skills (hope rust isn't contagious unsure.gif )

My '74 was supposed to be my "driver", but the only thing I'm driving is my head against the wall everytime I find more DAPO sabatoge and RUST!! headbang.gif

And my actually rust-free '73 wub.gif , with a brand new carbed 2.0L, rebuilt tranny, and everything you can think of either new or refurb'ed (which will likely never be done because I keep getting these "Hey, idea.gif I should do that to mine!" ideas from you guys), has become a storage compartment for all of the crap I've collected from being a packrat....can't throw anything away.......'Cause I never know when that '68 Beetle wing vent window will come in handy. screwy.gif

PS - The Beetle was sold 18 years ago... slap.gif
Brent
QUOTE (sanman @ Feb 2 2005, 03:43 PM)
CHEAP THERAPY wacko.gif

Sweet ! I love the altar ego's getting to express their opinions here too!
mrobin
technically my daily driver (it's the only car i own)..but truthfully i drive my bike
(bicycle) to work everyday and use it more than the 914.
bd1308
Jen....thats a sweet picture!! Second I live pop-up campers and thired I'm amazed to see so many daily drever 914s around! awesome. how do you clean out the longitudinals?
bd1308
yeah my spelling module doesnt kick in tilll like 10am....i just woke up, sorry
scooter311
Gunta is tucked away in a garage right now, but when the salt is off the roads, and Mr Sun comes out, she's a daily driver. (however I do try to keep her out of the bigger weather episodes).

I drove the car silly when it had the the 1.7 in it, and it was reliable as a rock - I drove it everywhere, and made sure to always keep it garaged, clean, and dried off. Now witht he 2056, I've had to do lots of adusting and tuning while breaking it in, and last summer it was ass-up for most of the time. I think all the bugs have been shaken out now, and all that I can do now is say some prayers, chant, and light a candle or two in the hopes that I can drive it every day this year rolleyes.gif

bd1308
hehehe....welcome back scooter! It's been a while
ematulac
Mine is a daily driver, too. It's easy have a 914 as a daily driver when you have all the resources available to you here.

One of our vehicles is out of commission, so I had to drive the 914 during the heavy storms we had earlier this year. We even had some snow on the roads one night. My biggest concern was floating away in the 914, since the roads here get pretty flooded when it rains.

Had no major problems driving in the rain, but I did have to pull the door panels and lube the door and window mechanisms. Everything started sticking as they dried up.
jd74914

Thats mines condition. Hopefully by about July it will join the daily driver fleet. Cars are meant to be driven; and driven hard biggrin.gif
scotty b
wink.gif OTHER = parts storage for some of the cars I have junked. Lets see that makes 3 914's 2 vw bug's 1 vw bus and 1 944 all full of parts.......somebody shoot me sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.