Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GB late airbox grill and new Gasket,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
We just finished the mold for the grills on the late air box and they look just like factory (less the over spray). The grills have been harder to find in good condition but now you can get one NEW!

No new grill would be complete without a new seal to hold it into place. We didn't just phone this one in. Other seals use an extruded strip of rubber and notch the corners to make a rectangle to hold the grill and slide over the top of the air box.

We molded a seal to fit the air box perfectly. We also made it out of silicone to make a good seal. Not just a fin or flap, but a little over 1/4" flat seal all the way around. The real beauty of this seal is that when it is installed it will actually force the grill to sit about 1/16" below the body grill.

These will be about $25 each for the seal and the same for the grill after the GB is over.

It's also a good time to re seal the flapper valved in the air box, so if you want to add that in, it has been discounted to make this project more complete.
Mikey914
Here's a better look at the offset
JmuRiz
You suck, making me want to spend more money. I don't have a screen on my car, but always thought they were a good idea.
914_teener
Mark,

I stand to be edfucated.

Was there a factory grille for the early cars? Currently my car has none and the fresh air motor is frozen and needs restoration.

When I say early I mean up to 73.

So late means 74 on up?

I didn't know the air boxes were different.
dlkawashima
My late '73, build date 6/73, has the grille.

Count me in for a grille and seal.
G e o r g e
Can I add it to my order from earlier today?
Mikey914
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Dec 10 2014, 10:47 PM) *

Not a problem, I'll have Blake add it.
-Mark
Harpo
Sign me up

David
dlee6204
I'm in for all three.
McMark
Oh hell yes!
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 10 2014, 11:48 PM) *

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Dec 10 2014, 10:47 PM) *

Not a problem, I'll have Blake add it.
-Mark

thanks
warrenoliver
My '73 does not have a grill (I assume this is fitted under the cowl). I did not know one was available but it certainly needs one to keep the crap out of the airbox and to keep it from eventually blowing leaves and other junk into the car.
Do I have to remove the airbox in order to install this? Any pics of a car with this installed?
Mikey914
The airbox will need to cone out, and there have been son good write ups on this. The key is labeled wires so you know has to put it back together.
A VERY good time to check the motor on the blower and replace some flapper seals
Mark
mharmon
I'm in for 2 sets
914werke
whats this rebuild kit?
Mikey914
Its the 2 flapper seals and the main motor and upper box seal.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 11 2014, 05:05 PM) *

The airbox will need to cone out, and there have been son good write ups on this. The key is labeled wires so you know has to put it back together.
A VERY good time to check the motor on the blower and replace some flapper seals
Mark

Shucks! I was hoping you had a magic way of installing these without removing the tank and airbox. blink.gif

Regardless, I am in for one if it fits my '73. How do I tell?
bigkensteele
I'm in for both as well as however many flapper seals are in the box. Is it more than 1?
jack20
Mark,
As a newbie this my first GB so just let me know what to do. I'm a current customer.
I'm in for the 3 piece set.
Jack
mapguy
Take my money!!!

I'm in for one set of all 3 bits.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 12 2014, 04:18 PM) *

I'm in for both as well as however many flapper seals are in the box. Is it more than 1?

There are 2 small flapper valves and the main gasket between the 2 assemblies.
Mikey914
QUOTE(jack20 @ Dec 12 2014, 05:16 PM) *

Mark,
As a newbie this my first GB so just let me know what to do. I'm a current customer.
I'm in for the 3 piece set.
Jack

I'll contact everyone that responds to the thread as soon as they are complete. So +1 here and I'll get you set up as soon as they are ready.
Rleog
In for grill, gasket, & air box rebuild kit.

Thanks Mark
craig downs
I need the whole shebang so count me in.
Nozzle
I'm in for the complete set as well (grill, seal and valve refresh).
Nozzle
QUOTE(Nozzle @ Dec 13 2014, 10:14 AM) *

Oops, looks like I may have spoken too soon. My car (3/73 build) does not appear to have a plastic grill between the body vents and the airbox below. Does that mean these parts will not fit my application? Will be bummed is this is the case as the airbox is completely filled with petrified vegetation... dry.gif
porsche914gt
All in, yes
Mikey914
QUOTE(Nozzle @ Dec 13 2014, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Nozzle @ Dec 13 2014, 10:14 AM) *

Oops, looks like I may have spoken too soon. My car (3/73 build) does not appear to have a plastic grill between the body vents and the airbox below. Does that mean these parts will not fit my application? Will be bummed is this is the case as the airbox is completely filled with petrified vegetation... dry.gif

You can retrofit the air box to add the grill on an early car no problem.
Steve
I will take the collection also.
restore2seater
In for grill, gasket, & rebuild kit.
Grump
I'll take all 3..
restore2seater
Mark,

Do you have a guesstimate on when these will be ready to ship?
Mikey914
These will be ready next week (along with the 1.8 TBG)and one more new item too!
Mikey914
PM's sent to all
with an extra special offer for those that have been supporting the GB's here.
piratenanner.gif
lonewolfe
Hey Mark! Happy new year! I'd like to get all three from you along with a few other items.

PM sent!
mikesmith
Curses; I just ordered (and received) a box of goodies including the airbox rebuild kit, thinking "I'll make up a grille myself". If I'd known you were this close to having them ready...
dlkawashima
Mark, for some reason I can't just order the airbox grille and the seal for $34 ... the order form says I must order the rebuild kit as well. Is that correct, is it a requirement?
NS914
Hi Mark, I am in for all three as well if not too late. Regards, Grant
Mikey914
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 2 2015, 12:53 PM) *

Mark, for some reason I can't just order the airbox grille and the seal for $34 ... the order form says I must order the rebuild kit as well. Is that correct, is it a requirement?

Sorry,
I had it in the site incorrectly. It's not a requirement, but yo may want to due to the effort required to remove.
Thanks,
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.