Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 oil tank removal Help! Job from hell!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lostreasure
Wow any tricks getting it out? all lines removed but still not enough room to pull out from quater panel-Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Mark Henry
You do have the oil filter console off...right?
It's held on with allen bolts.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 11 2014, 10:10 AM) *

You do have the oil filter console off...right?
It's held on with allen bolts.

+1
Remove the filter console, tap tap, slide out, ez job !
GeorgeRud
I'd recommend doing something to close off the openings while removal or installation so dirt doesn't drop into the tank.
toolguy
It's not an easy job but it will slide out when all the stars are aligned. .IIRC, it involved rotating the
tank and sliding as well . . hardest part is the 3 retaining studs sticking. .
I placed a very thin sheet of heavy duty vinyl between the fender and both the tank sides to facilitate
easier sliding. .
Luke M
Also don't forget the jam nut at the lower fitting.
(in red circle on pic)
When I removed my oil tank from my factory 6 it had one on it.
6freak
loosen rocker panel and prop it out with a small piece of wood or something ,that give you the extra 1" you need .its not hard but it does have to be in just the right position..

smile.gif
lostreasure
Thanks for the help! Im going to give it another try this weekend! This had to be a afterthought for the 914 lol
lostreasure
Do the retaining studs need to be removed?
toolguy
QUOTE(lostreasure @ Dec 12 2014, 02:10 PM) *

Do the retaining studs need to be removed?

They are made into the tank. . not removable
patssle
Thankfully I got the Vellios tank for my conversion - no studs. It was very easy to put in!
vintage914racer
I just installed mine. Remove the oil filter console and it should be significantly easier
gms
Put flares on the car and it goes much easier biggrin.gif
brp986s
The real job from hell is putting it back in. Due to the wide construction tolerances of the time, the tank can get wedged and stuck between the qtr and the body as you try to install it. And I don't recommend using a finger as a forward guide to locate the hole in the body for the breather spout. Your finger and the spout can actually occupy the hole at the same time, but not comfortably. I mean, so I'm told. Not me, ofcourse.
lostreasure
Wow -not looking forward to putting it back in! Thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.