Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Box Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 2.0 FI (Ca Car)

UGH confused24.gif

So I just ordered an Air Box Seal from AA and it appears to be way too small.

The seal I got from them is only 3 1/2 " deep. Width seems OK, but my air box is like 4 1/2 " deep or an inch larger than the gasket is.

Before I have a fit and call them, I thought it worth asking if I'm missing how this gasket fits?

Thanks,

Len
lsintampa
I think they sent me the wrong one.

Part number checks out, but I bet they pulled one for a 911 or something.

headbang.gif
lsintampa
Sooooo,

spoke with Drew, he asked for a photo - which BTW looks like this one:

Click to view attachment

Hard to tell - but the new gasket is about an inch short.

Took two weeks to get. The only reason I took it out to start with is I had a fuel leak and I needed to take the tank out anyway. Tank was out months ago and got resealed. I knew then I should have dealt with the seal for the air box, but didn't.

Now that I'm ready to put the tank back in, I'm all wrapped up trying to get this stupid gasket in place.

(just venting)....

Len
Krieger
I have ordered repros of other items from them and they fit like crap. I mail them back and get my money back. Maybe 914 rubber does these?
rhodyguy
another happy customer. strike # 8346 and still swinging away. mark's notice of the seal AND a grill is currently right below your post. return the other part.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 11 2014, 02:50 PM) *

I have ordered repros of other items from them and they fit like crap. I mail them back and get my money back. Maybe 914 rubber does these?

Yep and now the grill if you need them too. There's a GB bouncing around now
Mark
lsintampa
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 11 2014, 05:50 PM) *

Yeah, but who would think something as simple as a gasket could be that far off?

I expect that they'll take care of it someway or the other.

If it needs to go back - fine - if they have something that will work - fine.

My beef isn't with them - it's the situation of having the car down for so long.

In Florida, it's a whole lot nicer to drive during winter that it is summer. So here I sit with my fuel tank on the floor when the weather is like in the 60's.

screwy.gif
Krieger
The part I bought from them was the simple black plastic cap that covers the top of the heater ducting pipes in the engine compartment. I thought I'd give them one more chance. How could they screw this up? They were about 3/16" too small and made of some unidentifiable material cheaper than plastic...I talked to George and told them they were junk. He made some excuse about the mold or vender. I can't remember. I sent them back.
rhodyguy
Andy, are you talking about capping the j-tubes? A couple of 2" rubber pipe caps and ss clamps from the hardware store work just fine. Cheap and they FIT! Another swing and a miss for AA.
ThePaintedMan
Sorry if I hadn't warned you previously Len... but AA is no good. One out of every ten people seem to get their orders filled correctly and the part actually fits. But 1/10 is not a business I want to support. We have better vendors here, like Mark (Mikey914) that need our business.
rjames
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 12 2014, 08:27 AM) *

Sorry if I hadn't warned you previously Len... but AA is no good. One out of every ten people seem to get their orders filled correctly and the part actually fits. But 1/10 is not a business I want to support. We have better vendors here, like Mark (Mikey914) that need our business.

1 out of 10 is being generous. dry.gif
lsintampa
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 12 2014, 11:27 AM) *

914 rubber is great - no question about it. I've gotten most of my replacement parts from them - never had an issue - and if something happened to be wrong - Mark will go out of his way to make it right. Mark and 914-R are top notch in my book.

To be fair however, I've also had good results with AA. In this particular case, there were some parts that I could not source anywhere else (short of going to the dealer), and I needed some other items as well (this gasket being one), so I slapped it all on the AA order.

I just got off the phone with Drew and he pulled all of their air box gasket inventory and it seems the last batch was a bad batch. He's gonna get one out of inventory that he's going to fit to a spare air box (to make sure it fits) and get it off to me.

That said, I cool with it - assuming he comes through as he said he would.

lsintampa
For those that may be following this thread.

I just got confirmation from AA (Drew) that a test fitted new gasket is on it's way along with a prepaid envelope for me to send back the one that doesn't fit.

Can't ask for much more than that folks.

AvalonFal
Maybe you're that lucky 1 in 10.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Dec 12 2014, 02:04 PM) *

For those that may be following this thread.

I just got confirmation from AA (Drew) that a test fitted new gasket is on it's way along with a prepaid envelope for me to send back the one that doesn't fit.

Can't ask for much more than that folks.

Actually you can - since they are the 914 experts, they could get it right the first time....
lsintampa
Really?
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Dec 12 2014, 08:57 PM) *

Really?

If you are referring to me - yes really.

I gave them several chances and they failed each time to get me the right parts.

I didn't care for the condescending attitude I got on the phone either.

The only order they got 100% right the first time was for Porsche crest decals for my wheel centers.

Any vendor can make a mistake, but I have never had a problem with any of the vendors on this site or Pelican.

I have two old boats and an old motorcycle and I haven't had any problems getting the right parts for them either.

YMMV if you are happy with them by all means keep ordering....
r_towle
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Dec 13 2014, 08:41 AM) *

QUOTE(lsintampa @ Dec 12 2014, 08:57 PM) *

Really?

If you are referring to me - yes really.

I gave them several chances and they failed each time to get me the right parts.

I didn't care for the condescending attitude I got on the phone either.

The only order they got 100% right the first time was for Porsche crest decals for my wheel centers.

Any vendor can make a mistake, but I have never had a problem with any of the vendors on this site or Pelican.

I have two old boats and an old motorcycle and I haven't had any problems getting the right parts for them either.

YMMV if you are happy with them by all means keep ordering....

It sounds to me like you had a nice long night of drinking, and you got laid.
You just seem too mellow and quiet in your response.

Tell us how it really went. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.