Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB CV Joint.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
john_f
Have located one unused OE CV joint but need another.
malcolm2
QUOTE(john_f @ Dec 11 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Several vendors here have taken the type 1 VW CV joint and modified it to work with our type 4 cars.

I bought mine from Tangerine Racing. PMB Performance has a similar product. I bet there are others out there. I called Chris at Tangerine and he told me all about his product and how long and how much R&D he has put into his. PMB has a similar story about their R&D.

You can probably use varying brands on each end of a half shaft. I have one OE shaft (or at least PO) and one with 2 new Tangerine CVs. Are you sure you have an OE (are you sure it is VW, they don't make them anymore).

Good luck with it.

Clark
john_f
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 11 2014, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(john_f @ Dec 11 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Several vendors here have taken the type 1 VW CV joint and modified it to work with our type 4 cars.

I bought mine from Tangerine Racing. PMB Performance has a similar product. I bet there are others out there. I called Chris at Tangerine and he told me all about his product and how long and how much R&D he has put into his. PMB has a similar story about their R&D.

You can probably use varying brands on each end of a half shaft. I have one OE shaft (or at least PO) and one with 2 new Tangerine CVs. Are you sure you have an OE (are you sure it is VW, they don't make them anymore).

Good luck with it.

Clark

Hi Clark,

Thanks for the info - I am aware of PMB & Tangerine Racing's products & am seriously considering them (as well as Pelican's offer of a complete replacement transaxle unit).
The OE CV joint I have been offered in the UK was purchased some years ago by the vendor & it is still in its original packaging but is surplus to the current owner's requirements.
If I've found one in the UK (where there are hardly any 914s), chances are that there must be a good few lying around in the US. If I get no response then I'll go for one of the after market examples.

Thanks very much for your help.

Kind regards,

John.
malcolm2
Do you know yours are BAD? You can take them apart and maybe only have to find a few pieces. There are some You Tube vids on dismantle and re-assembly plus inspection.
john_f
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 11 2014, 09:36 PM) *

Do you know yours are BAD? You can take them apart and maybe only have to find a few pieces. There are some You Tube vids on dismantle and re-assembly plus inspection.

Hi Malcolm,
Yes - I know that one side (at least) is bad as my garage has just taken them apart & repacked them. This was all they could do as they had no replacements. The effect of repacking was initially good but after about 30 miles they started to become noisy again.
I will however look at the You Tube vids.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Kind regards,

John.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.