Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Empi 5 1/2" Sprintstars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
My set of sprinstars fits nicely at the front but I cant squeeze them in under the rear fenders. I have 175/80 tires on them and the body is stock narrow.
Are there any tires that would make them fit?

Lars S
stugray
A lot of peole roll the rear fenders.
Step one is to just eliminate the lip.
This gives about an extran 1/4"

Next level is to aggressively roll the fenderand pull it out significantly.
You can get close to an inch that way, but it might damage the paint.

It can be done with a baseball bat, or a dedicated fender rolling tool.
Eastwood carries one.

IPB Image

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-fender-roller-w...36dUaAsqq8P8HAQ
SirAndy
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 12 2014, 10:51 AM) *
Eastwood carries one.

He's in Sweden ... rolleyes.gif

Anyways, the Empi offset really isn't that great for the 914 so rolling your fenders is probably your only option.

If you're careful, you can roll and pull them a good 2cm without cracking the paint.
smile.gif
stugray
He's in Sweden ...

Why does that matter?
I buy stuff from China and have it in 4 days with free shipping.....

Anyway, the baseball bat method works very well and is effortless if you do it right.
There are lots of youtube videos of people doing it wrong :-)

You use the bat and leverage off of the tire as you roll the car forward and back.
The bat just rolls along with the tire
Mark Henry
Original steel Sprintstars came in all different offsets, the set I have fit perfectly with 185's and 195's, but I may have had to roll the fenders for 205's.
My 914 is a 1974 I know some of the earlier cars had less room.

If you have the new reproduction aluminum sprintstars they have one offset only, really made for a bug.
Dave_Darling
You might be able to fit 165s on them. Sometimes the Bug wheels fit OK on a stock narrowbody 914 with 165s. Sometimes they don't....

--DD
larss
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 12 2014, 09:00 PM) *

Original steel Sprintstars came in all different offsets, the set I have fit perfectly with 185's and 195's, but I may have had to roll the fenders for 205's.
My 914 is a 1974 I know some of the earlier cars had less room.

If you have the new reproduction aluminum sprintstars they have one offset only, really made for a bug.

Thanks all for the info!

My Empis are from -73 and the 914 is a -72. There is not much needed, about 1/3" to get them in under the fenders and have a little margin, I think fender rolling would do it...but the new paint.. unsure.gif ...maybe I test 165's instead, I guess a lower profile would be easier then a higher?

/Lars S
Mike Bellis
When you roll with good paint, you need to use a heat gun as well. The heat will make the paint flexible enough to stretch. Keep it warm without melting.
Chris914n6
With new paint you need the hot air gun, and the fender roller is made in China so you should be able to find one on eBay Sweden. The bat method is not as clean or precise, the roller allows for baby steps. $75 US is a small investment and you can rent or sell it after or find a rental.

youtube has many vids of the process.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.