Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Cover Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I' wire brushing the old paint off the valve covers. I'm looking for ideas for protecting: paint ?
r_towle
Powder coat it.
brant
I'd use paint

some powder coat can be an insulator
plus it flakes sometimes when chipped.
the bale is going to rub tight and possible scratch/chip
bdstone914
I have pairs that are powder coated. Regular paint will get scrapped off the first time you slide the spring bales over the covers. I have also had them zinc plated.
r_towle
The OEM method was electro coated paint.
It's the same stuff used on the OEM Tin.

For looks, paint will work.
For durability, powder coating makes more sense to me.

When I remove the valve covers in the car, I remove the bail from the rear end of the head and everything is much easier for me...

Rich
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 13 2014, 06:40 AM) *

I have pairs that are powder coated. Regular paint will get scrapped off the first time you slide the spring bales over the covers. I have also had them zinc plated.

Where and how much ? Like the idea smile.gif
EdwardBlume
We have a $$$ powder coater up here called MAAS Bros. They do good work though.

I plan to use them if I ever get Dad's car's original engine back together.... slap.gif
Mikey914
Powder coating works well with the proper pre treatment. The minimum charge is about 75-$100, so do son engine tin too.
bdstone914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 13 2014, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 13 2014, 06:40 AM) *

Where and how much ? Like the idea smile.gif

I have a local guy. Really in expensive. Might cost $20 max. He will sand blast and powder coat them. I have some done already. I have had several pairs leak even though they look flat.
Bruce
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 13 2014, 10:50 AM) *

Powder coating works well with the proper pre treatment. The minimum charge is about 75-$100, so do son engine tin too.

agree.gif gather up all your parts that you want done. My local guy seems to charge the same amount no matter how many pieces are in the pile.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2014, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 13 2014, 10:50 AM) *

agree.gif gather up all your parts that you want done. My local guy seems to charge the same amount no matter how many pieces are in the pile.

Up here my guy is $50.min, he charged me $250 for almost two complete engines.
StratPlayer
Send them to me, I'll blast them then powder coat them for ya. No charge just the shipping cost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.