Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - Can't find drive cycle for 2001 Nissan Frontier 4-cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
I need help from a modern mechanic (I quit wrenching cars for a living in 1979). I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier 4-cylinder manual transmission, 106K miles that was rejected at the state emissions test station because the Evap System and EGR are "NOT READY." The Service Engine light is not on. The station said I need to complete a drive cycle before the car can be tested.

A little lot of history. My service engine soon (SES) light had been on since just after my last state inspection 2 years ago. I've replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel cap, air and fuel filters, added FI cleaner and that didn't fix it (I've had the car since 36K miles and to my knowledge none of the above except filters had ever been done). The code was something like cat inefficient P0420. I need it fixed now because the car is due emissions test. So I replace the cat and upstream O2 sensor 2 weeks ago and take it to my FLAPS and have the code checked and now it's showing P0135 - O2 heater circuit, then the guy clears all the codes to give me a fresh start. I check all fuses and R&R'ed them in case there was a loose/corroded connection. Take it back and still P0135. So I put the old O2 sensor back on and take it back and the guy says the the tester won't connect. All this time my SES light is on. Shit - I give up and make an appt at the repair shop on Friday. As luck would have it Friday morning I'm driving to the Auto shop and the SES light IS OUT! The auto shop suggests I take it to see if it will pass test and bring it back if it does not pass (he was putting a new heater core in a Hummer H2 and said that he wouldn't be able to get to my car for a couple days anyway). So I try to find the drive cycle on line and can't find one for my specific car/year/engine.

Thank you for any help you can provide. This experience makes me appreciate the simplicity of my 914 even more.
Chris914n6
http://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

My hands on Nissan experience is early 90s then jumps to 07+

420 is a dead cat. I just did a Prius a couple weeks ago. Something changed in early 2000s as they used to last forever.

Self checking emissions electronics have gotten crazy. Any little thing triggers a melt down. But the FSM covers all of it.

It's usually 10 starts to self clear a code if the problem has been fixed. Also things need to warm up to be at proper operation, so a long drive is required before a test. If codes have been erased then it's at least 50 miles for the internal memory to clear and allow a smog test, otherwise everyone would cheat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.