Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help install FAT engine with DR Evil Trans in AUSTIN TX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
griffindoug
Hello folks in Austin!

I am hopeful some one with more experience than I could help lend a hand or two to help me reinstall my engine and transaxle.

I originally hired a mechanic to do the rebuild, but after 2 months, he quit on me. After he completely disassembled the engine into 1000 pieces. Found FAT performance and they are doing the rebuild. Engine should be coming back soon to Austin and I am in need of some knowledge on re-installing the engine. If anyone out there can help, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks
Doug
griffindoug
QUOTE(griffindoug @ Dec 14 2014, 06:32 PM) *

Hello folks in Austin!

I am hopeful some one with more experience than I could help lend a hand or two to help me reinstall my engine and transaxle.

I originally hired a mechanic to do the rebuild, but after 2 months, he quit on me. After he completely disassembled the engine into 1000 pieces. Found FAT performance and they are doing the rebuild. Engine should be coming back soon to Austin and I am in need of some knowledge on re-installing the engine. If anyone out there can help, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks
Doug

Bump
mepstein
Reinstalling is pretty easy. Even I have done it. Move the engine into place and start hooking thinks up until there's no more loose stuff.

Make sure your gas tank is clean and the gas lines are good.
griffindoug
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2014, 07:46 PM) *

Reinstalling is pretty easy. Even I have done it. Move the engine into place and start hooking thinks up until there's no more loose stuff.

Make sure your gas tank is clean and the gas lines are good.

Thanks for the input. If there are any other pearls anyone can offer please share.

thanks
saigon71
I used this as a guide:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...engine_drop.htm

Simply reverse the process to install.

I will admit, it was nice having a hand putting it back in, especially guiding the side tin through the suspension ears.

wndsnd
It can be done by yourself. Mostly a balancing act but because the transmission is premounted to the engine there are no splines to line up. Just take it slow and if you do get an extra pair of hands it will be a cinch.

John
Harpo
My advise is to get two pieces of threaded rod (about 12 inches) to attach the engine bar to the front mounts. This will allow you to tip the whole assy to clear the suspension ears. This will obviously take longer.

Good luck it is not that hard

David
rhodyguy
When you start raising the engine package into place, slip 2 license plates in between the engine tin and the shelve down far enough to cover the rear control arm nuts. This will help prevent the tin from getting hung up and getting bent.
CptTripps
This is one of those things that sounds and appears more daunting than the reality.

Get the 914's ass in the air, get the motor under it...start hooking things up...raise the engine into position. It's honestly about that easy. There will be some do-dads to hook up after it's bolted to the chassis, but it's honestly not all that tough. Like wndsnd said...it's kind of a balancing act. There are many jackstands involved, so make sure you keep them out of the way so you're free to move things around.

My first one took about 3hrs. I've only done it 3-4 times, but I'll bet I could do it in 90min. There are guys here that could probably do it in 20min.
d914
I'll be in Austin around the first for a few days,,,, I can give a few tips????? Or drink a beer or two!!!!

Greg
76-914
Go for it. When and if you get stuck, post your ???'s here. One at a time. If it takes 50 pages, so be it. We'll get you there step by step. It's what we do. biggrin.gif
Bob L.
I might be able to help. Depends when. I'm in south Austin. Keep me posted. beerchug.gif
griffindoug
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 23 2014, 10:11 AM) *

I might be able to help. Depends when. I'm in south Austin. Keep me posted. beerchug.gif

Hello everyone thanks for offers for help.

Engine is coming this week so getting the engine prepared for the new delivery. Found an issue though, the passenger side engine mount (where the cross bar will bolt to the chassis) is bad and in need of replacing.

Any advice on where to find it? Again to clarify this is the bracket just forward of the suspension console.

If you know where to find one or have one from a donor car please let me know.

Thanks
BigFour1973
QUOTE(griffindoug @ Dec 14 2014, 04:32 PM) *

Hello folks in Austin!

Thanks
Doug

My engine was built by FAT back in the late 90's early 2000's. He stated he didn't touch anything that wasn't going into a buggy. So my dad removed the engine and took it to him and told him this is for the "dune Buggy" and he started the build.

What I'm getting at is. Is he doing road cars now? or how did you work the system?
Dr Evil
There has to be more people in Austin. smile.gif
PanelBilly
Did you check with Restoration Design? I didn't see it on their website, but it says they have more things that they don't list
OU8AVW
Motorcycle jack.... Very helpful when you're short handed.
stugray
1 - if the engine mount on the pass side is in need of repair, then it is likely that the damage is far worse than meets the eye.

2 - If this is a complete engine rebuild (new cam lifters, etc) then you should be worrying more about the engine breakin procecdure than worrying about the install.

Is your cam new and have you read up on engine "first startup" checklists?
malcolm2
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jan 5 2015, 11:31 AM) *

Motorcycle jack.... Very helpful when you're short handed.

I used a Harbor Freight Transmission Jack. Mount the tranny to the engine, get the whole assembly balanced on the HF jack and it uses a 1/2" ratchet to raise and lower.

The balance point is the key. I have installed my engine 2 times with it, and by myself both times. It was kinda fun, wish I could help.

HF tranny jack
mepstein
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 5 2015, 01:24 PM) *

1 - if the engine mount on the pass side is in need of repair, then it is likely that the damage is far worse than meets the eye.

agree.gif what does the ps rear suspension console look like?
stinkindiesel
Got too busy around the holidays to check in, so just saw your request today.

I haven't gotten to a full engine drop/replace in the 914 yet, but I'd be glad to help out if I can. Just let me know where and when you want to go at it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Gary
kpax914
Perhaps you should post some pictures of the problem areas. When I had the engine out of my 914 I checked and actually welded sheet steel to reinforce weak areas like the battery box and the rear suspension brackets.
good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.