Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trunk carpet grommet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
I just noticed a grommet thru the L center of my teener trunk original carpet- what's it for?? There's nothing under there to fasten down or tie up??
Dave_Darling
Look under the grommet. You'll find a threaded hole in the floor of the trunk. It's the right size to accept the spare tire hold-down. And the tire fits just fine in that location...

--DD
SGB
why?
bondo
In case you need to carry something too tall to fit in the front or rear trunk.. move the spare and free up the full height of the front trunk!
smooth_eddy
I think it was done because the front trunk is deeper. So for instance if you wanted to put something tall like an ice chest in the front trunk, you can still take the spare tire with you by putting it in the rear trunk.
double-a
learn something new every day! i never knew you could secure the tire back there until now...

~a
Jamie
Does the top still stow with a stock size tire under it?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jamie @ Feb 3 2005, 09:04 AM)

yes ...
maf914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 3 2005, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (Jamie @ Feb 3 2005, 09:04 AM)

yes ...

By stock, are you refering to a 155 x 15? laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (maf914 @ Feb 3 2005, 09:58 AM)
By stock, are you refering to a 155 x 15? laugh.gif

by "stock" i refer to:

165 R 15
185 R 14
185/70 R 15
195/70 R 14

those were all the stock tires sizes for 914-4/6 ...
wink.gif Andy
VegasRacer
You can even fit a 205 - 50 - 15 on a 7" wheel in the rear trunk along with the targa top.
JmuRiz
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Feb 3 2005, 10:04 AM)
You can even fit a 205 - 50 - 15 on a 7" wheel in the rear trunk along with the targa top.

Yep, I used to put my 205 mounted on a 15x5.5 back there with the top. I haven't tried my 16x6 and a 205, but I'm sure it'll fit. The back location comes in handy if you want to bring race tires to a race or something too. It'd also be a good place to put a tire for a long distance rally race, haha.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.