Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Love this car.....some very cool details. Should be interesting to see what it sells for.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22528/preview_lot/4785311/

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
It's a 71 ...
shades.gif
bigkensteele
Not sure where to start, and I don't want to come off as disrespectful. There are just too many things so not right about this car that it really shouldn't do anything over $30k. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage, but...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 17 2014, 07:52 PM) *

Not sure where to start, and I don't want to come off as disrespectful. There are just too many things so not right about this car that it really shouldn't do anything over $30k. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage, but...

I think the phrase you're looking for is "tarted up".

It's way too personalized to be of much value. That said, there's that other phrase, the one that begins with "A fool and his money ..."

The Cap'n
mepstein
Even though I wouldn't pay over 30k, it will probably sell for double that or more. Part numbers and date codes don't due it for me but they seem to rule the higher end Porsche world. Bragging rights...
boxsterfan
Don't like the look, but its a 71 914-6. Pretty rare. Repaint the doors, repaint the front hood and cover up the sail panels with vinyl and she will start to look pretty good. I'd prefer chrome bumpers, but I like the bumpers and rocker in body color style also. Interior needs minor work to rid the personalizations.

I think it'll get at least $75K cuz its a 71.
Gustl
just to be precise ... it's a MY'71, but it was built in 1970 (most likely in October +/-)
Cairo94507
I don't really see that much that would be a big problem to correct. Two weeks of work and that would be a proper looking Six. I would pay some decent money for that car if it all checked out in so far as rust, crash damage, engine/transaxle numbers, etc. I would do $50K for a '71. Granted I am biased, but it is a real Six and they only made 433 or so in '71. This is an early '71, I am surprised it has the later '71 rear bumper. I wonder how early in the '71 run they switched to the later bumper? I hope it sells well.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 17 2014, 10:26 PM) *

Love this car.....some very cool details. Should be interesting to see what it sells for.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22528/preview_lot/4785311/

Click to view attachment

I wonder if it's the same 71 sold (cheap) in MI many years ago??
It had issues!!!!!!! confused24.gif
T
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 17 2014, 09:36 PM) *
This is an early '71, I am surprised it has the later '71 rear bumper. I wonder how early in the '71 run they switched to the later bumper?

I'm thinking on this one there's a good chance the car started out with the early chrome bumper, and the later painted one was swapped on when they went to colored bumpers.

So they basically took a Six and made it look like the base Four of the time, huh? Not to my own taste, but someone will probably buy it for a price I think it way too high.

--DD
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 18 2014, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 17 2014, 09:36 PM) *
This is an early '71, I am surprised it has the later '71 rear bumper. I wonder how early in the '71 run they switched to the later bumper?

I'm thinking on this one there's a good chance the car started out with the early chrome bumper, and the later painted one was swapped on when they went to colored bumpers.

So they basically took a Six and made it look like the base Four of the time, huh? Not to my own taste, but someone will probably buy it for a price I think it way too high.

--DD

agree.gif
Mueller
The rear molested fenders I would think should be a heavy impact on the price.

They don't look bad, but to me they do not look needed and distract from a stock looking vehicle.

The 914-6 emblems or decals on the sail panels scream insecurity issues for whomever placed them on there!
GregAmy
Nice stance, bro.
bigkensteele
Anyone notice that it has what appear to be flat 15x6s on the passenger side, and possibly repro 15x7s on the drivers side?
screwy.gif
pete000
Any one on this site could put that car back right easily except for the rear fender surgery...Hope some one takes all the bad lipstick off...
Cairo94507
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 18 2014, 01:49 PM) *

Any one on this site could put that car back right easily except for the rear fender surgery...Hope some one takes all the bad lipstick off...

agree.gif completely, but it would take 20k at least to do it right when you factor in bodywork, paint and parts chasing. Unless '71s are that much more valuable, I would just buy a nice finished car for the same money it will take to fix this one.

I also agree that it is going to sell higher than it should, given the venue.
PotterPorsche
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 18 2014, 01:31 PM) *

Anyone notice that it has what appear to be flat 15x6s on the passenger side, and possibly repro 15x7s on the drivers side?
screwy.gif

I agree repro 7 on one side and flat six on another side .
Maltese Falcon

screwy.gif

agreed...good call on the wheels.
What's the point of ruining the rear fenders like that confused24.gif
gereed75
Did the 71 have the separate passenger seat??
dw914six
I get totally confused on the 914-6. And I own 2 of them. I actually want to sell 1, since I'm not driving them, but who knows what they are worth?

I hear so many different opinions on value. Certainly bone stock original is the cream of the crop, but I continue to see the different flavors of customization owners have installed on these cars and they still seem to bring more and more.

With now 44 years of the cars being driven, seems likely that to be stock you would expect to buy a car and have work you have to do to bring it back, otherwise it's at the top of the price range.....but it's still an original model 914-6. You can't make em but you can bring em back.

So my real question after all this noise I just typed is what is the low end of a solid 914-6 that has some mods? And I know...what ever someone is willing to pay on that day. shades.gif
Cairo94507
Pictures, pictures, pictures along with a list of mods, issues, etc. and I am sure you will get a ton of opinions on value.
john77
Ignoring whatever the value is, I really like the look of this car. I'd lose the decals on the sail panels, but apart from that I think it's a pretty clean, tasteful execution of how someone wanted their 914 to look. I've never really been bothered by the 'poser' label on cars dressed up to look like race cars though, I mean, it's not like this is an econobox with a spoiler and fart can stuck on, it's a sports car.
toolguy
Until you try to restore a real Six, it's difficult to have a grasp on how hard it is to find the Six specific parts you'll need anymore. .and if you want to do a quality restoration, using real NOS parts, they are extremely expensive. . . . and it will only get more expensive as time goes on.

That is one main reason why the 'Driver Condition Six's" are climbing in price. .Cars that were previously considered junk are being 'restored' these days. . . If they have a real Six Vin, and the basics there, it's a matter of finding a lot less items, or restoring what you've got. . Seems like most of the Six specific stuff is a Grand or more now . . and things like OE heat exchangers will be in the 5K range these days IF YOU CAN FIND THEM. Other expensive Six stuff is rear Valance, correct steering wheel, correct air filter housing, trans shift linkage, and other items that are not worth a reproduction company's' time and investment to reproduce. . Got to take into account, these were parts made for a very limited number of cars and there simply isn't any New Old Stock parts anymore.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 18 2014, 08:25 PM) *

screwy.gif

agreed...good call on the wheels.
What's the point of ruining the rear fenders like that confused24.gif

My guess is that is how they chose to make those sevens fit the rear, but then somebody noticed that the center paddle area of the sixes is much larger than the center of the sevens, and this is how they solved the problem. Either that or some tire jockey not paying attention.
emoze
it's Europe - there is a market for "old timer" eligible vintage racers,

and, according to 914-6-er contact i have there most of the 914's in Germany have rusted away due to the salty roads

about a year ago a total rust-bucket six was sold from FLA (one of our members) to Europe for over 10K as i recall - plus shipping etc - a `100K restoration candidate at least

and tastes in necessary correctness and resto-modding may be different than ours
mepstein
QUOTE(emoze @ Dec 19 2014, 08:13 PM) *

it's Europe - there is a market for "old timer" eligible vintage racers,

and, according to 914-6-er contact i have there most of the 914's in Germany have rusted away due to the salty roads

about a year ago a total rust-bucket six was sold from FLA (one of our members) to Europe for over 10K as i recall - plus shipping etc - a `100K restoration candidate at least
and tastes in necessary correctness and resto-modding may be different than ours

"a `100K restoration candidate at least" - or a $10k vin switch.
mepstein
double post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.