Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what don't you like about the Boxster?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
96conv
I can't understand what folks don't like about the Boxster. Even the base 1997, 2.5L model is way quick and handles like a sports car should. I've had the hots for a 993 for a while now but the 2005 Boxster S has taken its place in my dreams. So, besides the stigma that it's a hairdresser's car, is there any other reason to dislike the Boxster? I wish I could afford it now but I'll have to settle for an '03 S next year.
Jake Raby
It's got a radiator happy11.gif
Trekkor
My good friend has one. He let's me drive it.
I like it. Just wish it was air cooled, with carbs...That's music. wub.gif

KT
96conv
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 2 2005, 10:22 PM)
My good friend has one. He let's me drive it.
I like it. Just wish it was air cooled, with carbs...That's music. wub.gif

KT

OK, gotta admit, I am partial to aircooled engines. So, besides that, any other reasons?
MattR
Its not a 914. biggrin.gif

I like the boxster. Its one of my favorite "new" cars. I dont like the 987 much, but the 986 is nice. I still wouldnt buy one though. For the money I'd get a 993.
Brett W
It is heavy. Looks OK but has no nuts to back it up. Needs a twin turbo 3.8 motor to really make it nice. Can't hear the engine so that needs to be fixed. Maybe sawzall the exhaust in front of the mufflers.
vortrex
for $50k or whatever they are you could get a very nice 993 C2S and look cool instead of like a girl.
skline
You know what, you guys sound like a bunch of pinky lifters. The Boxster is just a new 914. I like the Boxster and if I ever get the chance I will buy one. The new 05 has 280 horse and is beating the 911's in almost every class. I can assure you it will beat our little shoe box 914's in all the events as well. Open those minds, remember the 914 was a bastard all those years and nobody liked them either.
fiid
I don't like the Boxster for a few reasons - although it is a very competent car.

1. They are bloody everywhere (around here at least). Every bugger has one. Noone is going to look at your car and be like - wow - cool. A trait shared IMHO by the 911.

2. The 911 happened to it. It will always have to take a back seat to the 911 because the 911 is the flagship. Same as the 914. As a result it will always be heavier, and have less power. It will always have a 6 because Porsche think that that is their DNA, even though the Toureg , sorry Laramie, Jackson Hole, Cowboy Ranch, oh Cheyenne... doesn't have a 6 in it.

3. It's too heavy for what it is.

IMHO the Boxster ought to be powered by a flat 4, and the S ought to have a turbo on it. They ought to put it on a diet, and they ought to make the styling a little more radical. In fact - it ought to be almost exactly like the MotorTrend (or whatever it was) 914-STi.

Having said that - the boxster is still an amazingly capable and practical car. I could get over the other stuff if there were just a few less of them on the roads. It ought to be an elise killer. Excellence was expected, but Wall St didn't go for it.
MattR
QUOTE (fiid @ Feb 2 2005, 10:48 PM)
1. They are bloody everywhere (around here at least). Every bugger has one. Noone is going to look at your car and be like - wow - cool. A trait shared IMHO by the 911.

I trait shared with the 996, I agree. I still drool when I see a 993 and earlier. There arent many on the road now.
VegasRacer
I like the boxster. The S is much better than the base model. I seriously considered it when I was looking for a new daily driver. The main reason I didn't buy one is price. I didn't see it as a good value compared to some of the other competing makes and models. If I didn't already have a 3 liter 914 I might have thought differently. The Boxster just didn't do anything that much better.
ConeDodger
Hmmmm... Speaking as both a Boxster and 914 owner I don't understand why any of you would dis' the Boxster. I has been said the 914 is the first generation and the Boxster the latest of Porsche's rear-midengined roadster cars. I can certainly attest to that. My Boxster car cover fits my 914 almost too well. It is spooky! What isn't to like? My wife says the Boxster is so sexy she wants to lick it! It never fails to draw the guys out to parking lot to bench race at work. It handles. Now, with some slight mods it goes like stink. It is my daily driver and I would never subject my 914 to that abuse. There are +70K Boxsters on the streets now. That sounds like a success story to me. In fact I am pretty sure Porsche exists today because of the Boxster. Sales have slowed and the 987 is perhaps a year overdue but there is nothing to dis' about the car.
What the hell does Wall Street have to do with it? That statement doesn't make much sense. When 70K people line up to buy a $50-60K car with only 2 seats from a car company known for expensive repairs and maintainance believe me the car is a freakin' success. Hairdressers car? Are you thinking of the Miata? Anyone who owns a 914 would only need to drive a Boxster once to realize that this is your cousin the athlete...
fiid
70K+ is definately a success story - from a bottom line perspective. If you are appealing to mass audience - you have a good product that will make a lot of money.

I don't want a good product. I want something fast, and just tad too uncomfortable for the mass market. Something that people maybe a few people haven't seen before. A Pagani Zonda would do nicely if the DOT could be persuaded and I had that much cash sitting around.

I don't subscribe to the hairdresser car thing - and I actually think the Boxster is a great car, but the thread is titled "So what DONT you like about he boxster?". It's great, but not great enough that I have even for a moment entertained the idea of buying one. The Elise however does meet my criteria - just not my budget.

ArtechnikA
mostly, the drivers, although the ones i know (which means they are invariably PCA members and car people) are pretty cool. mostly, it's the stereotype - the (leased) car to be seen driving, with the top down so one's gold chains and Rolex can be seen glinting in the sun.

from a -car- standpoint, i dislike the (lack of) service accessibility and the wet sump flat-6. the stage was set for some dissatisfaction easly when they had so many engine failures which they eventually fixed but here in the US we got the feeling the car was rushed to market too early (instead of letting Europe beta-test the cars like usual :-) ...)

the other thing we as 914 owners don't like was the way Porsche (possibly just PCNA, which is all most of us see of Porsche) marketed the car, as a direct descendent of the 550 calling it "Porsche's first production mid-engined car." HELLO !!?!

When Ross-Tech does a Porsche product we will probably start with the Boxster, and i will probably be driving the "test mule" car. it could be worse.

(first, we have a long line of BMW cars to support...)
ChrisFoley
What I don't like about the Boxster is that I don't own one and I don't foresee it in my budget for years to come. sad.gif
Qarl
My 2001 Boxster (non S) was a major PITA. I had many mechanical issues that could never satisfactorily be resolved (but not enough to qualify for lemon laws).

Most regular Boxsters (non S) are made in Finland,not Germany.

I had 3 oil leaks due to cam cover bolts leaking
Main seal went bad
Litronic headlights would burn out
Eternal wheel vibration and balancing issue that could never be fixed
A/C expansion chamber go bad requiring entire dashboard to be reassembled.
Other misc electrical issues
Stereo problems (besides, it sucked)

Other little stuff besides this. I realize it's a Porsche and not a Honda, but this was unacceptable in my book for a $50K car (optioned out).

If you get a Boxster, get an S.

ClayPerrine
Here's my .02 on the Boxster.

It's definitely the direct decendent of the 914. It's mid engined with the assoicated handling benifits.

What I don't like about it.

#1. It has anti-freeze and a radiator. I happen to LIKE air cooled engines.
#2. It is way to heavy for the size and displacement. It could have been soo much lighter.
#3 It has way too many bells and whistles for a sports car.

The last one is my big bitch.... I feel that someone should build a real sports car for people who are NOT posers. Meaning a car with no abs, traction control, automatic transmission, power seats, power windows, power top, etc... But with a real dry sumped motor with a louder, more open exhaust. I feel that the car should have heat, AC, and a radio. And make the AC optional. Porsche doesn't offer the Boxster in that configuration. If they did, I would actually buy one.
ClayPerrine
Here's an idea for someone out there with more money than sense.

Get a Boxster. Strip it down so that it is a basic sports car (no bells and whistles shit). Then take the engine out and put a 3.8RSR varioram air cooled motor from a 993 in it. biggrin.gif wub.gif

Instant modern 914.
IronHillRestorations
At least Zois hasn't chimed in with his usual response (didn't you know he's actually the secret universal concience of all things Porsche).

I've had a standard 2000 Boxster for over four years, and have very little to complain about.

I'll dispell most of the aruguements given.

Engine accessibility, not really a problem, especially considering you don't have to do anything to it! It's no 914, so it's not on jackstands two out of five years biggrin.gif. All I've done to my Boxster is change the oil and brake fluid, and do some minor upgrades to convienence items. The oil change proceedure could be the easiest on any car I've owned. From a service standpoint it's really not any more difficult to work on than a 914.

The marketing issue has nothing to do with how the car drives and performs. Sure it pissed me off too, but after owning the car and living with it, I've let it go.

I live in rural TN, so I've only seen other Boxsters in Nashville, Memphis, and there's a couple in the closest (70k pop) town of any size. Quite honestly though I don't care about the "you see them all the time" thing. We had a Explorer and now have a family minivan, of which there are millions. So on one hand you are a snob if you've got a Pooorsh, but on the other hand you want a car that everyone covets? I got the car because I like it, I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

I too think the Boxster front clip on the 911 cheapend both cars and did nothing but "Japanese" Porsche. The Boxster was first though. Remember the hoopla when the first introduced the concept car? How many of us saw that car the first time and thought "woah, they are going to make a updated 914, cool I can't wait to get my hands on one, or my foot in one"??? Then (once again) the crack Porsche marketing staff stepped in it and dissed all 914 owners. So in a instant some of those guys who were foaming at the mouth over this car, got pissed at the car, for something the ad guys didn't do. The car is still the new 914.

The production model was really close to the concept car, not like most concept cars we see. That look is the appeal of the Boxster, Porsche just took the thing too far by sticking the Boxster nose on the 911. Side by side the Boxster is still a better looking car than the 996, or the 996 cabriolet for that matter.

I've never had a car that's got enough power. I built a 3.0 914 and it was scary fast with loads of torque and power, but more power would have been better. I also know that a Boxster with too much power is an easier drive than a 914 with too much power. Just like a 2.0 914-4 it's a excellent package, just alot better, newer, more refined package. Most of the people that gripe about the Boxster not having enough power don't own one.

If all the people that gripe about the Boxster would live with one for a week, they would change thier opinion. I wonder too, how many of those who gripe the loudest, secretly wish they had the resources to own one.

The only gripe I've got is probably valuation, which isn't a real issue anyway, as I plan to keep my Boxster for a very long time, and at some point in the future will do to it what I do with 914's (put a 911 engine in it). As we all know newer cars aren't the best "investment" if you are looking for a monetary return. Again I didn't buy my Boxster with any thought about future resale value.

Some of the arguments about the "raw sports car"? Try and find a new car that doesn't have alot of bells and whistles. They just aren't out there in mass produced cars. We have all come to expect certain things in new cars. If a $40k plus car didn't have some of these things, the detractors would be saying "it doesn't even have blah, blah blah". There isn't one mass produced sports car that doesn't have all the little "bells and whistles". Sure you can get a Elise in "raw form", try and live with one of those for a week on the road - HAH!!

If you are looking to get a Boxster, run don't walk to your nearest dealer and get the newest highest power Boxster you can afford. You'll love it. It has great heat, great A/C, doesn't leak, and has two trunks that (like a 914) hold alot of stuff. The more you live with it the more you'll think "this is a new 914". Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Sorry for the BW, end of rant!
Gustl
in general I do like the Boxster, especially the 987

what I don't like is
* the center exhaust pipe
* little space for the driver (I'm about 6ft10" and 225lbs)

EdwardBlume
I went through the Boxster phase and now I'm getting over it. I don't like the fact that with a little massaging from the factory it could be so much more... but maybe I'm just too used to seeing them.
Hi_Fi_Guy
The Boxster is a great car. I've had my 2.7 for 3 years with zero complaints. Plenty of power, great handeling, telepathic steering, a surprising amount of room in the cockpit, and enough storage for a couple to have a two-week getway or a weekend getaway.

There were refinements to the car every year so buy the newest one you can afford. The rear-mail seal seems to be an issue with all 986 & 996 cars so if you find one that is under warantee or has an extended warantee you will have some peace of mind. I had my RMS replaced at about 20k miles due to some small dripping and have had zero problems since. Others have had several RMS failuers, while others still have had no RMS problems at all.

In my own oppinion the S is not worth the extra dough for most people... coming from a 911 might change that so I would suggest driving both. I prefer the revvy nature of the 2.7 while others prefer more low-end grunt and shifting sooner. Both are fun so it comes down to preference. Most people wouldn't mind the extra power if the price was right.

This car is a Porsche and meant to be driven like a Porsche. On paper it may not look like the fastest car out there but in the real world you will seldom meet another driver who offer you much opposition. The Boxster will cruise all day at 115 like most cars cruise at 75. The car does have a different level of refinement than Porsches built 30 years ago. The car does insulate you from your surroundings a bit more but it does not isolate you from the road or the driving experience.

All in all a great driver's car.

The Boxster is not a 914. They have similarities and a lot of them but the experience is not exactly the same. If you can't have both a Boxster and a 914 be sure to get the one you really want because no Porsche will make you happy if you are always lusting after a different one.
ConeDodger
I have a couple of things to add to the things that I have already said about the Boxster.

First, an apology. I rarely listen to anything that contains marketing. I have XM Sat, so I don't have to. I was not aware that Porsche marketed the Boxster as a direct decendant of the 550. If the Boxster is a direct decendant of the 550 so is the 914. If Porsche had been thinking they could have cashed in on the craze started by the new Beetle. (See also BMW Mini, Nissan 350Z, etc.) These are new cars that recall their roots from previous successful cars. They could have cashed in on all of the Boomers who had a 914 or wanted a 914 in the 70s. No mention of the 914 in the Boxster promotion was at the least unimaginative marketing and at worst an indication that Porsche thinks the 914 was a VW. The people who were around when the 550 was made are for the most part too old to crawl in and out of a roadster now. They marketed to the wrong group

Second to address the concerns by a couple of you about how there are too many Boxsters or that it was a sports car for the masses. I love sports cars. I have several and you may want to sit down for this... a couple of them are not 914s, nope, not even Porsche. I also own a Datsun 240Z and an MGB. I recall that when I first owned my Z people were using the same argument. It couldn't be a real sports car because it was made for the masses. I will tell you what I told them back then. "Someone has to get the parts cars ready for me". Same case with the MGB. This was, until the Miata the most successful sports car in history. It may even still be second. How many MGBs did you see today? Probably no more than one. Yet I have no trouble getting parts for mine and people don't try to retire on the sale of that used tachometer.
The Boxster is flat out a great car. The S is even better. The 987 appears to be a subtle yet large improvement on the original. I have never had to do anything but scheduled maintainance and slight modifications on my Boxster. Changing the oil couldn't be any easier. You don't even have to jack up the whole rear. It can be done by jacking only one side. I plan on keeping it. If you see too many Boxsters out there, I ask your indulgence. Those people are getting my parts cars ready.

How the fact that it isn't air cooled is a cogent argument for what is wrong with a Boxster I don't see. Most of the really amazing cars in the world aren't air cooled. That simply isn't relevent. I can give you a relevent twist on that argument, Most of the air cooled cars in the world are pretty cool while most of the water cooled cars in the world are purely junk. If your neighbor pulls in the driveway with a new Ferrari and tosses you the keys and says lets go for a ride, are you going to do it and then say "nice but it isn't air cooled"? If you did, your neighbor if he was polite would laugh and think "that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard" If he was not polite he would simply say it out loud to your face.
The only relevent thing about how a car is cooled is if it is effectively cooled.

Rotten Robby
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Feb 3 2005, 11:22 AM)
I rarely listen to anything that contains marketing. I have XM Sat, so I don't have to.

the Boxster predates satellite radio.

I was not aware that Porsche marketed the Boxster as a direct decendant of the 550.

it was in all the magazines. there were many prominent TV ads.

If Porsche had been thinking they could have cashed in on the craze started by the new Beetle.

the Boxster predates the New Beetle.

an indication that Porsche thinks the 914 was a VW.

perhaps because it was marketed as such everywhere in the world but North America...

The people who were around when the 550 was made are for the most part too old to crawl in and out of a roadster now.

have you checked the demographics of this board recently ?

They marketed to the wrong group.

undoubtedly why they sold every car they made...
Trekkor
Don't get me wrong, I like the whole family of Porsche cars.

I'm just bummed a bit that 60% of the ones I see on the Bay Area roads are Boxsters with Cayennes creeping up.

I like seeing them all.

BTW, Air-cooled motors just sound amazing... wub.gif

KT
BigD9146gt
I gotta agree with a lot of the points Robby made, but not so much the connections.

The 914 was an affortable, mid engine sports car. Regardless of who was doing the marketing in which country, Porsche designed it. The amount of energy people spend on who "makes it" is funny to me, but thats another topic.

The boxster is a entry level, more affortable than a 911, mid engine sports car. Its the first in a long while from the german car market, cause the Jap's have been on that train ever since the 914.

personally, i see more yuppy hot-chicks, wanna-be/semi rich punks, and over-the hill snob couples in Boxsters than any other type of people. THATS NOT TO SAY their isn't humble folks that just love Porsches because they know the true meaning of a Porsche, but it seems to be the majority.

What the Boxster lacks, and most new Porsches lack, is what we find in these early cars and all love: Masculine, vintage, sexy, raw, 70's era cars. It was the hay-day of racing, and these cars personify those leaps and bounds in engineering.

With regards to the 550 spider, i laughed at that too. BUT, the ad had class, like just about every Porsche ad i've ever seen. PLUS, do NOT forget about James Dean. I know, it pisses me off to hear people say "the James Dean car?", but A LOT of youth know the 550 because of James Dean's unfortunate death...
Root_Werks
I have driven a couple of early 986's. They seemed like fun cars. If I was in the market for one, I would grab one, sure. But I think I would always own an air cooled 914 first, then a 986. Early, no options (If possible). cool.gif
ppickerell
My wife and I have owned an 04S for about 9 months. She primarily drives it and has ZERO complaints. I have posted before that you can't wipe the grin off her face when she is in that car! I have only one complaint and that is legroom and headroom for me is quite tight (6'4" 235 lbs). Sound? This car sounds fantastic when you stomp on it! Weight? The car corners with amazing grace! Styling? I work with industrial designers for a living and this car satisfies all my design criteria for a sports car. No competing product out there!
horizontally-opposed
I think Perry pretty much nailed it.

I drove a 2001 2.7 for a year and a half as a loaner and it never, not once ever, had to go to the dealer for anything but routine maintenance. We now own a 1999 2.5 and, six months or so in, we've only had to contend with a leaky coolant tank -- a known issue.

Sure, I worry about total engine failure -- but not as much as I worried about other (far more expensive) stuff going wrong with my old 911 SC... And comparing Boxster reliability to 914 or 911 reliability is a pretty complicated subject.

Anyone who can buy a Honda Civic new can afford a used Boxster (at least the purchase), so long as a two-seater is OK.

The Finnish cars are probably (a little) better built, actually.

The Boxster IS heavy by 914 standards, but a lot lighter (some 150 pounds or more, I think) than a 996 and the 996 was lighter than the 993....

I love the air-cooled noises too, but I like different kinds of music on the radio, too. And my Boxster makes more thrilling noises than my 914-4. Sit in a Boxster at WOT when the tach sweeps past 5000 rpm -- few cars at any price make a noise that good. You hear PLENTY behind the wheel of a 986. You just are not making everyone else listen to it.

I don't care what others think about my cars. I buy them for me. After all, I drive them.

As for judging other people based on how they look in their Boxsters, I am sure the same fallacies could have been applied to 356 drivers in a bygone era.

I'll admit the Boxster is a little bland with its high U.S. ride height and inset wheels. We stuck 18x10s in the rear and 8s up front and that helped a lot. Researching the best way to lower it now, but this single mod will transform a 986 visually! They look wicked when lowered correctly!

As to what the thread asks:

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

-Cheap Interior Issues
-Squeaks and rattles
-RMS issues
-Could use a little more grunt, but only because the chassis is so good (can you say 914-4?)
-Plastic rear window is a bummer, but you see more than with the glass...
-Stereo is so-so
-They put cupholders in the damn thing and, worse, my wife likes them!

pete
redshift
The new one coming out... who beat it with the ugly stick?

Oh my GOD new Porsches are UGLY!!

M
ppickerell
Alright, one more small complaint. Visibility with the top up in lane change situations is a little iffy.
ppickerell
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 3 2005, 09:26 AM)
The new one coming out... who beat it with the ugly stick?

Oh my GOD new Porsches are UGLY!!

M

M,
Compared to what? Mike's avatar?
RON S.
The only thing I dislike about the boxster is that it's gonna take about 15yrs. of depreciation to bring the price down to a level of affordability.
The wife keeps saying she wants one.I have to be the to keep telling her no.Guess what position that puts me in?

The cheapest one I've seen so far is one that's running in the local classified paper right now.
A guy has a '99 model w/a Tip in it asking $13,400.00 or best offer.
If it weren't for the Tip I might be tempted to take a look.

Ron
airsix
I'll make my gripe list simple.

• Too big. Concept car was smaller
  • Too heavy. Concept was intended to be lighter.
  • Too flat looking. Concept car was curvier & sexier.

Everybody was excited about the concept car because it was what we wanted - a small, light roadster. Porsche keeps giving us luxury cars. Luxury cars are nice, but we want something else. What are the Porsches that we all wish we had? 356 Speedsters. 550 Spyders. 911R's. RSR's. GT2's. GT3's. That's what we REALLY want. Granted, there are more people in the world who want a cushy comfy Luxury car that is 'sporty' rather than a true undiluted performance car. I am cut from different cloth than the general populace in that regard.

-Ben M.
seanery
I like Boxsters, have from the beginning. I like the new one, too.
I wish I could buy one, an S would be sweet! Although I hate the new style wheels.

I wonder what they would look like with some Lindsey or HRE 18" Fuchs on it?
Dave_Darling
What Ben M said. For me, the early S that I drove felt too large, too heavy, and too soft. The power was very nice, but kind of unobtrusive. The Boxster may be lighter than the 996/997, but it's still getting perilously close to 3000 lbs. Which is just absurd (IMHO) for a two-seat car.

The car also looks way too heavy. The show car was much more sculpted, and had a much better flow to it. Every time they show the Boxster with a 550, it makes me wince. The 550A is one of my absolute favorite car designs ever, and seeing the huge bloated Boxster next to the ultra-sexy 550 just makes it look that much worse in comparison. sad.gif (The Box looks an awful lot better when they put it next to Porsche Number One, BTW.)

I am not a typical car buyer. If they built a Boxster along the lines of what I wanted, they'd be selling a tenth as many cars as they are now. (At best!!) I feel that they have really hit the target that they were aiming at with the Boxster's design--they have made a great sports car for the masses. And you know, I wouldn't kick one out of the garage for dripping oil...

But I won't go out of my way to buy one, either.

--DD
KaptKaos
QUOTE (airsix @ Feb 3 2005, 10:00 AM)
I'll make my gripe list simple.

• Too big. Concept car was smaller
  • Too heavy. Concept was intended to be lighter.
  • Too flat looking. Concept car was curvier & sexier.

Everybody was excited about the concept car because it was what we wanted - a small, light roadster. Porsche keeps giving us luxury cars. Luxury cars are nice, but we want something else. What are the Porsches that we all wish we had? 356 Speedsters. 550 Spyders. 911R's. RSR's. GT2's. GT3's. That's what we REALLY want. Granted, there are more people in the world who want a cushy comfy Luxury car that is 'sporty' rather than a true undiluted performance car. I am cut from different cloth than the general populace in that regard.

-Ben M.

agree.gif

IMO the Boxter is a GT car, not a sports car. It asks too little of the driver. I am not a masochist, but the insular feeling of the Boxster (power seats, AC, power windows, etc..) make it less desireable to me.

However, Porsche exists today because of Tiptronic, the Boxster and the Cayenne. Without the auto tranny, the lower end Boxter and the SUV, Porsche's fortunes might be drastically different and they may not be in the car business.

- Joe
ninefourteener
The Boxter is an awesome car. A tad bit underpowered, and a little heavy.. but nevertheless, an awesome car.

What I DON'T like about is one thing: THE NAME

For years, the 914 was the bastard of Porsche, and is still not even recognized by many as even being a Porsche. Yet, Porsche goes and practically re-creates the car (in a modern version, of course), and doesn't even have the common courtesy of letting it keep its name.

Chevy brought back the "SS" theme
Pontiac brought back the GTO
Mazda brought back the RX-7 (RX8)
Toyota is bringing back the Supra
Dodge brought back the "Hemi" badging/engines
Ford brought back the original Thunderbird concept

I'm sure there's more.

Why didn't Porsche just bring back the 914??

confused24.gif

machina
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Feb 3 2005, 04:05 PM)
What I DON'T like about is one thing:  THE NAME

Uh, mine's not a boxster, its a 986. smile.gif
ArtechnikA
Chevy brought back the "SS" theme
Pontiac brought back the GTO
Mazda brought back the RX-7 (RX8)
Toyota is bringing back the Supra
Dodge brought back the "Hemi" badging/engines
Ford brought back the original Thunderbird concept

Why didn't Porsche just bring back the 914??

those names evoke good memories.

there are people within Porsche who still remember with Waldegaard wanted to drive a 911 in the Monte Carlo rallye, but the competition director made them drive a 914.6 and did horribly in a rallye they probably could have won.

there are people within Porsche who still remember 914.6's sitting unsold on the docks in New Jersey until the tires rotted off.

there are people within Porsche who still remember the "Not A Real Porsche" rants.

but mostly, there is this: "VE HAFF ALREADY USED ZAT NUMMER!!"
Joe Bob
This is scary....I'm in agreement with Clay and Herzog....

Perry, I like busting the balls of Boxster owners because they are so sensitive.... grouphug.gif

As to the Boxster itself....I don't like it because it is NEW...in Califorinia....98% of the owners are caffe latte swilling posers with a cell phone stuck in each ear. In 20 years maybe I will own one....I hated the 914 when it came out BTW. I( don't like new cars period....ask SKLINE and Howie....I own a new Yukon....never drive it...even whent he wife is not using it. I actually took it to deliver a trailer recently and only did so because the kids wanted to go and it had a Video console in it and it shut them up.... cool_shades.gif

The whole enthusiast versus the weenie that leases the newest fad is what I don't like....that's why I am so anti-concour weenie....hence the reason behind Frankenstealth. It twangs the panties of the 356 crowd so much it just makes my day.

All in all...it's probably a nice ride...."I" just wouldn't be caught dead in one.... wacko.gif
grantsfo
Here's my perspective from owning both cars as well. I have driven 914's since the mid 1970's and bought a 2002 2.7 Boxster 3 years ago.

Boxster likes:

Outstanding suspension that offers civilized street ride with track like performance.
Incredibily smooth and powerful 2.7 that pulls like crazy from 4500-redline.
Great brakes
No nonsense interior
Predictable dry handling
Heated seats
Great intake sound
A cool little wing that pops up at speed
Incredible engineering and chassis rigidity
Kick butt on lots of prepared cars in your stock 2.7 Boxster at PCA AX's
Great safety features
Speed sensing volume on stereo
Corrosion resistance that a 914 owner could only dream of
Electric top
High speed stability that makes the 914 feel like an econo car

Boxster Dislikes

Its too big and heavy - suspension and tires over come the weight, but you still know you are in a big car when you get into the twisties compared to razor sharpness and tossability of the 914. One thing to consider about Boxster weight. Honda S2000 only weighs about 35 lbs less than the standard Boxster and has a 2.4 four cylinder engine.

Heavy clutch feel
Clunky 5 speed gearbox
ABS feels like it deploys a little early at times
Lack of interior room for big drivers
Honda like sounds coming from the powerplant - still havent figured out if this is good or bad
Engine bay isnt easily accessed
Unnerving/squirley wet handling
Burns through expensive big rear tires much too quickly

Biggest problem - lack of aftermarket support for the car - things are slowly changing, but it has to be the most poorly supported Porshe and I dont understand why?

I find the "chick car" and "everyone has one" comments about Boxster funny. 914 was the just as common as the Boxster in its day and suffered the same gender identity crisis.

Boxster is a used car bargin. You can find older 2.5 or 2.7 Boxster for about $18K. Go to low to mid $20K range and you can find real nice low mileage cars. I dont think you can find a low mileage 993 anywhere close to this price.

tat2dphreak
most of the people who bought them seem to like them simply because they are a porsche... and they care nothing about the history of the name... I have had 911 guys give me props for the 914, boxter guys don't know what a 914 is!

the front looks like the 911... if I paid 80k for a carerra, I would be 10x more pissed about that...

they are quite capable cars, but I never see these lame-asses light them up... step on the gas you pansy!
SirAndy
QUOTE (96conv @ Feb 2 2005, 10:18 PM)
I can't understand what folks don't like about the Boxster.

i just don't like the way the front looks. kinda like a squashed frog ...

dry.gif Andy
redshift
The new 2006 coupe styling is horrible...

I have been configurating this years model, with a hardtop, like 9 times a day... and it's a shame they would change to the new one, if it's just going to be a rip off of the ugliest 'sports car' (read: modern GT) a 350Z.

What a pig.

Go over and make your own S with GT silver, and a hardtop... hmmm.... I like it.

I wish they'd drop the price in the last year, bad time to like this one.

M
jd74914
What I don't like about the Boxster is that I don't own one and I don't foresee it in my budget for years to come. sad.gif

thanks one of my problems

i also think the car is too heavy, thought it would be the one modern porsche i would like to own/drive cool.gif

i don't think the 2006 model looks thats bad biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.