Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting Confirmation of Color for Rare Colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
rnellums
I went through the process of getting the COA on my car (paint code 98), hoping that I might get lucky and they would include something besides just:

"Metallic Paint to sample/9992"

What options are there to get some kind of official confirmation of a car's color (e.g. Sahara Beige)

I have some dealer color samples from 1974 (Paint chip card) and my car's color is pretty clearly Ice Green Metallic(1974 optional 911 color), but is there any way to officially define it as such?

-Ross
Gustl
From my best knowledge, the color name would be on the COA, if it's a Porsche or VW color.

Code 98 would be a color from Porsche or VW, that's not on the standard or special color chart for the 914

Code 99 would be the color to sample - there might not be a name for it ...?

But as we all know, it wasn't everything strictly following the rules, back in the day.
I know a car with paint code 26 on the Karman badge (conda green - never an original 914 color) and code 98 on the COA ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Dec 20 2014, 08:22 AM) *
Code 98 would be a color from Porsche or VW
Code 99 would be the color to sample

agree.gif

Ice Green Metallic seems like a strong contender ...
idea.gif

IPB Image

rnellums
Paint code is definitely 98
Tom_T
Ross, here's an idea to try to get an exact match -

Take a known example of Ice Green Metallic on a 911/912/930 with a COA identifying it as such &/or an original paint chip sample card from 74 with it ....

& take them & your 914 to a paint store which has the paint matching laser gun with a print-out of the sample, & have them "shoot" your 914 (preferably at a spot with protection from sun/weather fading inside - same with the 911/etc.), the 911/912/930 &/or paint chip sample card.

Hopefully the results of their matching printouts will line up exact or close enough to confirm that it is indeed Ice Green Metallic.

IIRC another member on here near Indianapolis area had an Ice Green Met. 914 too, so he may be able to help with identification long distance using the above method too.

santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
rnellums
That's a great idea! I have some 74 paint chips. The guy from Indiana was probably me, I moved out to Colorado from Lafayette, IN last fall.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 20 2014, 01:42 PM) *

That's a great idea! I have some 74 paint chips. The guy from Indiana was probably me, I moved out to Colorado from Lafayette, IN last fall.

It was you .... idea.gif .... then I wasn't having a brain fart when I saw your name & color & thought it was you .... until I saw CO!! laugh.gif

The 911 registry &/or PCA 911/912 RennList may help you find a local CO in Ice Green too for further confirmation/comparison.

Our son is now posted at Ft Carson CO (CO Springs), so we may be out there some time when there is actually one of those concours in your 1st pic to see it in person!

What & where was that taken?

Post here if that method works, as it may be useful to other members with 98 & 99 code cars!

santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
EdwardBlume
COAs are worth practically nothing. Wifey wanted to get one for Dads car, but for the money, I think all we got was the build month, vin, and model. I don't remember if they had the engine number or not, but nothing beyond that.
EdwardBlume
Nice color BTW smile.gif
Cairo94507
Isn't it possible to call PCNA and verify if they have a complete COA or not before shelling out the $100? Then if they tell you they have the engine number, transaxle, color, etc., pop for the COA.
Tom_T
Rob - They should have the paint & interior codes - altho not always correctly "translated" to a color, & they usually ask you to provide a pic of the engine case # before they'll confirm it's a 2L, usually no trans # on 914's.

In agreement with your wife, I think it was a good idea to get one for your Dad's car, as well as any other "collectable" - especially the latter cuz others out there value COA's higher than we know their worth (-lessness). For Dad's 914 it's a personal & family thing to have it, along with any other awards & kudos you might have for your resto.

It's not unusal for any older Porsche to not have specified the "custom" customer selected colors, but more so on 914/4's built at Karmann, whereas they weren't as bad with the 356's & 911/912's built by Karmann.

Michael, PCNA tends to be VERY difficult when it comes to getting any free or "pre" info on the email or 800# to the COA dept., & they're more often wrong than right on the colors & options codes, & then refuse to change/correct it unless you go to the dept GM!!!

It took me 3x to get them to correct the color codes to what I KNEW they were, & then for 3rd & final I had to contact the GM when the supervisor REFUSED to correct it, & even then I had to get info off of Jeff Bowlsby's site for the friggin interior color code #31 being the Biege (they called it black which is #11).

By contrast, I got my `88 Westy's COA in just 2 weeks from the VW Museum in Germany FIRST TIME CORRECT for about HALF the price - +/- $75 vs $125!

PCNA apparently puts a very low priority on their COA's & has the least qualified staffing in that dept.! dry.gif

santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
rnellums
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2014, 11:18 AM) *

Rob - They should have the paint & interior codes - altho not always correctly "translated" to a color, & they usually ask you to provide a pic of the engine case # before they'll confirm it's a 2L, usually no trans # on 914's.

santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////

I agreee. Mine had the engine number, interior color, and not much else. Its a lot of money to spend on a piece of paper that says "information not available" a bunch of times.

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 21 2014, 06:20 PM) *

I agreee. Mine had the engine number, interior color, and not much else. Its a lot of money to spend on a piece of paper that says "information not available" a bunch of times.

It is a lot of money to pay for "info not available", but I found the more info you give them up front, the more complete the COA will be. Lame, because you're paying them to do homework, yet to get a complete picture you have to do the homework for them. Even then they get info wrong... jerkit.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 21 2014, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 21 2014, 06:20 PM) *

It is a lot of money to pay for "info not available", but I found the more info you give them up front, the more complete the COA will be. Lame, because you're paying them to do homework, yet to get a complete picture you have to do the homework for them. Even then they get info wrong... jerkit.gif

Yeah, but they are lame. Guess they never figured the 914 would be special. Factory still hasn't gotten it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.