Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: New York
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
laugh.gif

I'm in NY for a few days visiting my brother and I'm wondering if there are any non-touristy things anyone can recommend. I'm going to be wandering around Little Italy and China Town today. Hopefully I'll run into something interesting. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for 914s. But I don't have a whole lot of hope for seeing anything like that. wink.gif
ClayPerrine
If I were in New York City.. I would head south as fast as I could go........
lapuwali
Carnagie Deli on 7th in the 50s. Famous, but real Noo Yawkers eat there, too. You'll wonder why there's no such place in California (I do).

You could let us know what the monthly rental a space in a parking garage is these days. When I first went there, a spot cost as much as my whole apartment w/ garage in the Midwest.
lapuwali
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2005, 08:20 AM)

Why? Do you have this great love for Battery Park? Trying to catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty? Looking for girls on Staten Island? Always wanted to visit Jersey?

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2005, 11:20 AM)

into Jersey ?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 3 2005, 11:14 AM)
I'm in NY for a few days visiting my brother...

Joy and i will be there for a daytrip on the 12th for lunch at Aquavit and a trip to the MOMA.
TimT
to much to list.

Carnegie Deli is OK

Try Katz Deli on Houston street, its just a short walk from Little Italy/Chinatown

Also the museums. even though they may by touristy, they are well worth it.

There is a museum of holography, it used to be on White St, I think its moved

Kiehls Pharmacy on 3rd ave, has a collection of racecars/stuntplanes in the back (the owner raced Maseratis) they also make all natural cosmetics etc.

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.. is worth the effort. get your tickets a day or so ahead, then get there early and you only have to wait on the line for the ferry.

In Queens the american museum of the moving image is cool

Grand central Station, the architecture is amazing!!

See Blue man group!!

The subways are your friend!

and that didnt even scratch the surface

CBGB's
larryp
Not Carnegie Deli, New Yorkers do not eat there! Try 2d Avenue Deli instead. Oh, and Ratners (a dairy deli).

Go rent a car and bring a blintz to Racer Chris.

TimT
Ratners closed a few years ago
sad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 3 2005, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2005, 11:20 AM)

into Jersey ?

I would KEEP going south until I got the hell out of Yankeeland........

lapuwali
QUOTE (larryp @ Feb 3 2005, 08:48 AM)
Not Carnegie Deli, New Yorkers do not eat there! Try 2d Avenue Deli instead. Oh, and Ratners (a dairy deli).

Go rent a car and bring a blintz to Racer Chris.

Hey, THIS New Yorker eats there. WTF do you know, you're from Connecticut! (we need a tugging on the crotch smiley...).
larryp
Ratners closed a few years ago  

Shit. Really? Christ, I gotta get out more!

I'm sure that he wanders out on occasion to eat lunch.

Not enough, apparently.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Feb 3 2005, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2005, 11:59 AM)
I would KEEP going south until I got the hell out of Yankeeland........

I don't know how to take this.

What is it about this area that offends you so? Is it the people?

Paul,
When I was in NYC, I found the people to be very rude. They seemed to think that if you aren't from NYC, then you are just a nobody. They even refer to it as "The City". Plus the place is way overpriced and crowded. For what I paid for a closet sized hotel room (and I had to go down the hall to use the toilet) I could get a luxury suite in Dallas.

Nothing personal, but the NE is way to crowded for me. Same with SmellA.

SLITS
1.) Take a subway anywhere after 11 PM and try to stay alive.

2.) Drive thru Harlem after 10 PM

3.) Go to the Port Authority at 5 PM and Yell "Incoming"

4.) Check into the Windsor Hotel and order a small room near the elevator

5.) Go to Western Union on Broadway, collect $2000 cash, and try to make it back to the double parked, running cab before you get knocked in the head

6.) Tour the Bowery

7.) Try to cross the street alone without getting taken out by a cab

8.) Say "Hi" to everyone while walking and see how many times you're told to FO.
larryp
This is going to quickly turn into a political thread. Can we make it a red state/blue state thing too, while we're at it?

Let me know when you find that tugging at the crotch smiley, California-boy ("THIS New Yorker"? Huh? CT is closer than CA!). If you want to make it appropriate for CT, dress it in pinks and greens.

I am off for lunch. I have to find me a deli...
solex
You might want to stroll up 2nd ave. (above 48th street) after work, there are a bunch of bars. Eat, play pool and throw some darts.

It is all good fun!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2005, 12:15 PM)
They even refer to it as "The City".

now *there's* a reference that will go right over the heads of the people in "the bay" area...

GET A CLUE PEOPLE, THERE'S MORE THAN ONE FRIGGIN' BAY IN THE WORLD!!!

okay, i'm calm now ...
SLITS
Allright......It's East vs West instead of North vs South.....let's get rollin' ar15.gif
vortrex
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2005, 09:15 AM)
[QUOTE=ClayPerrine,Feb 3 2005, 11:59 AM] I would KEEP For what I paid for a closet sized hotel room (and I had to go down the hall to use the toilet) I could get a luxury suite in Dallas.

yeah but then you are in DALLAS. laugh.gif
Howard
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 3 2005, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2005, 12:15 PM)
They even refer to it as "The City".

now *there's* a reference that will go right over the heads of the people in "the bay" area...

GET A CLUE PEOPLE, THERE'S MORE THAN ONE FRIGGIN' BAY IN THE WORLD!!!

okay, i'm calm now ...

Lots of Bays, but only one *CITY*

Two kinds of people in the world, 1. New Yorkers 2. Bridge and Tunnels (referencing how you get to Manhattan)

You either get it, or don't get it.

1. Only rent a car on Sunday. Get up at 5am and drive through Central Park. Could be one of the greatest road courses ever built.

2. In Little Italy, go to Ferrara for Cannoli

3. Rowdy Bar? Buster's Garage and there's a great toy store on the next block. Last time I was there they had a Beck and a GT350 in the showroom

4. Kill a day. Start at Museum of Natural History W81st on Central Park. Then walk south on Central Park West (becomes Broadway) all the way to Wall Street. Eat and shop as you go, but only buy food from pushcart vendors. All these international delicacies combine in your stomach to produce great fireworks.
lapuwali
QUOTE (larryp @ Feb 3 2005, 09:26 AM)
This is going to quickly turn into a political thread. Can we make it a red state/blue state thing too, while we're at it?

Let me know when you find that tugging at the crotch smiley, California-boy ("THIS New Yorker"? Huh? CT is closer than CA!). If you want to make it appropriate for CT, dress it in pinks and greens.

I am off for lunch. I have to find me a deli...

Hey, I got yer pinks and greens right here, suburb-boy...

(For those of you just watching, deli selection is rather more important than selecting a religion. And a New Yorker will get into a heavy in-your-face argument at the drop of a hat. It's nothing personal...)

Mark, just about any deli will serve food you can only dream about in California. Also, duck into just about any of the zillions of little food stores and pick up a black-and-white (a cookie). A Bay Area regional grocery chain started carrying these, and they sell out in 15 seconds as all of the transplanted New Yorkers snap them up. There are times I think my wife would kill me for a black-and-white...

I'll also agree that many of the museums are well-worth it, unless you just can't stand art. The Frick has a particularly fine collection.
larryp
James-
PM me an address and i will post you some black and whites
LP
Rockaria
It's a little touristy, but... In New York don't miss the museum of sex...

http://www.museumofsex.com/

another thread told me that 98% of the people on this sight would like that! rolleyes.gif
bondo
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 3 2005, 09:25 AM)
Carnagie Deli on 7th in the 50s. Famous, but real Noo Yawkers eat there, too. You'll wonder why there's no such place in California (I do).

agree.gif

Best bacon cheeseburger ever! (not kosher, I know)

Coronet's pizzaria is good, but far from the center of things (not too far from the seinfeld restaurant if I remember right)

Go see Letterman and Conan (oh, wait, that's touristy) smile.gif
URY914
I was there in '89 when all the pron shops were still open around Time Square.
Oh the good 'ol days....haven't been back since. w00t.gif

Paul
larryp
Times Square was an interesting place before they turned it into Disneyland.

Oh, and there is nothing to do in NYC. Go home.
ejm
My next trip to The City will be to visit the Intrepid Museum

lapuwali
QUOTE (larryp @ Feb 3 2005, 10:56 AM)
James-
PM me an address and i will post you some black and whites
LP

Thanks, Larry. My wife's mom still lives in Jersey, and sends us care packages from time to time. I think the local grocer is also getting the idea they should order more of these.

Just trying to spread the addiction...
joea9146
Take a Train ride to Connecticut and you can help me work on My car this weekend... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.