Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fourteener Motoring Magazine - UPDATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
tumamilhem
I haven't received my copy of issue #2 yet.
Nor my second copy of issue #1.

confused24.gif
stevegm
I hope I don't regret asking. biggrin.gif I am looking for feedback on the magazine. We now have an automated distribution system set up, so that should be fixed and you should see a large improvement with the upcoming issue.

I am particularly interested in feedback on content. Here are my questions:

Content - The most important thing is - what do you think of the stuff we are covering? Is it what you want to read? What would you like to see added?

Then beyond content here are some things that I am pondering:
A. Balance between features, tech, and news/events. Do you like the balance?
B. Balance between photos and text - What do you think?
C. Length - We are at 44 pages now, but, we have very few ads. Most magazines run at least 50% ads. So from a content standpoint, I don't think we are doing too badly for a brand new magazine. I'd like to add 4 pages soon, but, I may wait until the January issue to do that, unless you give me feedback that there isn't enough in each issue.
D. Size - this is an important one. I went with the small size for two reasons: 1: I like it and think it is easy to carry around with you. And then 2: Cost. It cut our print costs almost in half. But, the size makes for doing full stories difficult. As a solution, I have considered doing a more detailed story on the website and readers could go over to the website for more photos, build sheets, etc. But, I wonder how many people would actually go from the magazine to the website to read more.
E. Overall feel - it is important to me that the overall feel be that of a professional magazine. Are we accomplishing that with the size and length? Is there anything we can do to improve in this area?
F. My original intent was a more "tech-related" magazine than say a Pano or Excellence. Not just features, but, useful info. Have we accomplished that? Do you value that angle?
G. What other resources would you like to see included in the magazine?

Any other comments? The magazine is about you. So your feedback is really important to me.
stevegm
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Aug 18 2015, 09:24 AM) *

I haven't received my copy of issue #2 yet.
Nor my second copy of issue #1.

confused24.gif

Hi Tommy, I just confirmed that both have been mailed. A month ago. PM me your address and I'll send you another copy tomorrow and verify we have the correct address.
turk22
One thing that's missing is a "Letters to the Editor" section. You as an editor would get feedback on what people think about the content, and other readers would see what people think about certain topics....but I would rather see that on the website, rather than in the hard copy...

Maybe a 914World forum topic for each issue, to generate discussion, and drive subscriptions?
mobymutt
I am enjoying the magazine, thank you for all your hard work! My only disappointment is that the small format doesn't allow for big pictures. And my 914 calendar only goes to December...
stevegm
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Aug 19 2015, 08:34 PM) *

I am enjoying the magazine, thank you for all your hard work! My only disappointment is that the small format doesn't allow for big pictures. And my 914 calendar only goes to December...

Thanks. I agree. That is my one problem with the small size. I repriced increasing the size of the magazine this week. Just to double check it. It almost doubles the cost, which is more than is possible given the small niche subscription base. I am constantly looking for solutions, but, have yet to find one.

We will start working on the 2016 calendar soon. We are planning to post a poll in 914world to determine the theme for the calendar. Stay tuned . . . .
stevegm
QUOTE(turk22 @ Aug 19 2015, 08:20 PM) *

One thing that's missing is a "Letters to the Editor" section. You as an editor would get feedback on what people think about the content, and other readers would see what people think about certain topics....but I would rather see that on the website, rather than in the hard copy...

Maybe a 914World forum topic for each issue, to generate discussion, and drive subscriptions?

Thanks. We are working on implementing a "Letters to the Editor" section. I also like your suggestion about a forum topic for each issue. Great idea. Thanks.
Coastal6
Just subscribed to the print edition. Picked up the first edition at the West Coast Ramble this year. Nice magazine.
Looking forward to the next issue!
Johny Blackstain
Got issue #3 today smile.gif Reading it now- looks good.
rhodyguy
is everything submitted copywritted? like the calendars?
stevegm
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 1 2015, 01:20 PM) *

is everything submitted copywritted? like the calendars?

I am not sure I am following your question. Submitted things are copyrighted (normally) by the owner of what is submitted. The magazine is copyrighted once it is complete and distributed. Hope this helps.
Nutter965
Just subscribed looking forward to it receiving it
stevegm
Everybody should be receiving issue 3 over the next few days. Almost all of them have shipped. Just a few more to ship today and tomorrow.

We are always looking for feedback - how can we improve the magazine?

We are also always looking for people to write, photos, and stories. PM me if your interested.
injunmort
got issue #3 today looking forward to reading
Ian Stott
Many extra trips to the mail box hoping the next issue was there! You owe me for a pair of sneakers! Really like the mag, I like those personal stories, a cool trip, a unique place someone visited, stuff like that.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 3 2015, 03:01 AM) *

Really like the mag, I like those personal stories, a cool trip, a unique place someone visited, stuff like that.

Stunning pictures, cheeky humor, in depth commentary, recreational think piece..... type.gif
nein14
Haven't gotten issue 3 confused24.gif
stevegm
All of the subscriptions are mailed at roughly the same time. There are numerous variables that determine when your issue arrives such as location, etc. Please note that subscription orders placed more than 30 days after an issue is published will begin with the next issue. We have had a few people email us because they subscribed 2 weeks before the next issue came out, but thought we were going to send the prior issue. We are happy to send you the back issue if we still have copies. But, our general practice is to start the subscription with the next issue, after the subscription date.

I hope this helps. Organizing periodic publications is fun. biggrin.gif

Please email - fourteenermotoring@gmail.com if you have a question about your subscription. We have so many going out now that I don't handle the mailing myself anymore. If you send an email to the magazine's email it will get addressed by the correct person, faster. When you email, please include your full name. Subscriptions are organized based on your full name, not 914world screen names. So, we need your full name to look it up.
EdwardBlume
THANKS FOR THE BACK ISSUES / EXTRA ISSUES STEVE!!!!!

Nice work! first.gif
kid914
I have asked for the email version from day one. no issue confused24.gif confused24.gif huh.gif
kid914
I have asked for the email version from day one. no issue confused24.gif confused24.gif huh.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(kid914 @ Nov 27 2015, 07:33 PM) *

We emailed them out initially. But it was an admin nightmare. You can download the latest version on the website though.
cary
I have it on my favorites bar. Easy Deal .....................

I'd ask Sir Andy to put up a sticky note when the new issue comes out.
nein14
Did issue 4 out get mailed yet? confused24.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(nein14 @ Jan 23 2016, 05:43 PM) *

Yes and no. About half have mailed. The post office was closed yesterday. And again today. Snow the sign said. Charlotte isn't used to snow.
turk22
Niether Rain, Sleet or Snow.....
Maltese Falcon
Here is the perfect snow terrain vehicle for the mail delivery, can also provide some audio entertainment to your local ski resort biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
thieuster
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 24 2016, 02:05 AM) *

Yes and no. About half have mailed. The post office was closed yesterday. And again today. Snow the sign said. Charlotte isn't used to snow.

One of my old time sailing buddies is holding a position as professor at Durham University. Currently, the whole family is in The Netherlands. Guess what we saw on the news: footage of the highway exit to their home covered in snow, snow, snow.

Average max snowheight for Durham is 1.9"... That number has been topped.

To be honest, overhere in Holland we've not seen serious snowflakes since December 2011. I suppose life will grind to a halt too when it really starts snowing.

Back on topic: the magazine is great. The issues you've mailed me are on the coffee table at the workshop where we repair and restore classic cars. Clients grab the magazines and always start talking about the 914.

Menno
stevegm
QUOTE(thieuster @ Jan 25 2016, 01:35 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 24 2016, 02:05 AM) *

One of my old time sailing buddies is holding a position as professor at Durham University. Currently, the whole family is in The Netherlands. Guess what we saw on the news: footage of the highway exit to their home covered in snow, snow, snow.

Average max snowheight for Durham is 1.9"... That number has been topped.

To be honest, overhere in Holland we've not seen serious snowflakes since December 2011. I suppose life will grind to a halt too when it really starts snowing.

Back on topic: the magazine is great. The issues you've mailed me are on the coffee table at the workshop where we repair and restore classic cars. Clients grab the magazines and always start talking about the 914.

Menno

Thanks. I really enjoy putting the magazine together. We have redesigned it quite a bit, added 8 pages, and continue to try to strike the right balance between features and technical content (this issue is probably a little too technical). It also has a lot of event coverage and some Magnus Walker 914 info and pictures. I think it is the best issue yet.

We are always looking for more people to write. Hint, hint . . . .
Alfieg23
I like the magazine's content although I would much prefer a standard magazine size vs. the smaller issues. Although I appreciate your efforts in minimizing the subscriber's cost, I would rather pay a little more and have the standard size magazine. You get what you pay for. Looking forward to issue #4. Keep up the good work.
stevegm
QUOTE(Alfieg23 @ Jan 25 2016, 08:06 PM) *

I like the magazine's content although I would much prefer a standard magazine size vs. the smaller issues. Although I appreciate your efforts in minimizing the subscriber's cost, I would rather pay a little more and have the standard size magazine. You get what you pay for. Looking forward to issue #4. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. I am glad you enjoy it.

I hear you about increasing the size. Although the size does cut down on printing costs (it would almost double the cost to double its size), it helps in other ways as well. So to change the size would be very difficult, given the small 914 niche. I tried all year to figure out how to increase the size. I'd also like to increase it to 6 issues per year. But, we will see. We are working on some ideas. But it will be a few weeks before anything is final.

For the January issue, we added 8 pages, and tried to use the space more wisely. I think this issue is the best yet. And it is full of content:

Editorial
A featured six conversion
Okteenerfest
Rennsport reunion V
A conversation with Magnus Walker about his 914s
The Build-Off Challenge
How-To Rebuild the Bottme End of a 914/4 engine
Project Car
914 History
914 Tips
A new classifieds section

The next improvements will be to always continue to improve the quality of the photographs on features, and further increase the number of people writing articles.
Big Len
Just got mine Steve. It seems to be getting better with each issue. Congrats.
stevegm
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 1 2016, 02:26 PM) *

Just got mine Steve. It seems to be getting better with each issue. Congrats.

Thanks. That means a lot. That's our goal. We have been working hard to get the balance right, improve photography, improve writing, etc. And I think we may have some news coming related to other improvements soon.
sfrenck
I asked for the email version and got the first issue. I see that you don't email any longer - but I don't see how to download a PDF off your site?

Scott
stevegm
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 1 2016, 03:37 PM) *

I asked for the email version and got the first issue. I see that you don't email any longer - but I don't see how to download a PDF off your site?

Scott

Yes. The email was a logistic nightmare - too many bounced back emails, etc. plus we were having to send a low res version to get it to fit in the email, etc. I'll PM you some info on the pdf.
trojanhorsepower
I love it Steve, keep them coming. My only complaint is they are too far apart. Once a week would be good smile.gif.
stevegm
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Feb 2 2016, 04:49 PM) *

I love it Steve, keep them coming. My only complaint is they are too far apart. Once a week would be good smile.gif.

Thanks. We are working on increasing the frequency too. Stay tuned. . . .
Garland
Got mine today, sat right down and started reading, before going out to the barn to work on the build off project. It one of the very few things I'll stop to do when I get home before doing the job I really enjoy!
shelby/914
Mine came today.

Dan
Mblizzard
Got mine! Great work as usual. Let me know if you need anything. Love this publication.
Speedmster
I agree, great publication. I received my copy yesterday. I enjoy reading the articles. Keep up the good work!
Steve
Got mine too!! Thanks!!!
Andyrew
Got mine!
stevegm
Thanks to everyone for the input. One of the main suggestions I have gotten has been to increase the size of the magazine. We have been debating between increasing the frequency to 6 issues per year, or increase the size to a larger format. I think I prefer to increase the physical size, for a number of reasons. If we increase it to 7 by 10 (the same size as the old Pano magazine), it would give us more room for more content, as well as make the print and pictures larger.

My question is this - to increase the size of the magazine, we would need to increase the yearly subscription to $30.00 (for 4 issues). How does everyone feel about this?

It is most important that we keep readers. The last thing I want to do is run any readers off because the price went up.
Phoenix914
I just subscribed for year #2. Thank you Steve - the magazine is great!

Bryan Greenly
injunmort
got mine thanks
Cuda911
Got mine. Great stuff!!

Personally, I think the size is fine. If the choice is between more pages or a larger size, I'd vote for more pages.

What do I need to do to keep my subscription going?
stevegm
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Feb 3 2016, 12:41 PM) *

Got mine. Great stuff!!

Personally, I think the size is fine. If the choice is between more pages or a larger size, I'd vote for more pages.

Thanks. What type of content would you like to see more of?

We will add more pages over time. But increasing the overall size doesn't really impact the number of pages. Everything just gets a little larger.
stevegm
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Feb 3 2016, 12:10 PM) *

Bryan Greenly

Thanks.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 4 2016, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Feb 3 2016, 12:10 PM) *

Bryan Greenly

Thanks.

subscribed too! Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.