Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fourteener Motoring Magazine - UPDATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
sfrenck
Is this an automatically renewing subscription? I need to make the decision if I continue to subscribe.
Garland
Steve, I sent you a PM
Firstcar
Steve,
Sent you a PM as well.
-Scott
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Aug 23 2016, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 23 2016, 12:28 PM) *

Steve, can you please send me the spring copy of the mag.....I never received the new larger issue. I subscribed back in April and received the back issues that I ordered (#1-3).
Thanks
Jeff Brinton

Jeff, the best advise is in the post just above from Steve;

"If anyone did not receive their Spring issue, please email us at - fourteenermotoring@gmail.com. The person that handles subscriptions isn't on 914world, and by emailing them at that address, it will ensure that you get to the right person and your subscription can be checked."

I got my spring issue a couples weeks ago and it's very good

Brady

Haven't received anything since the spring 2016 issue and that was the ONLY issue I received. Now I've moved and not sure if it's even worth the bother to email, but I guess I will and see what happens.

Shhh!
Coondog
Got one issue, then nothing confused24.gif guess I will wait my turn in line.
stevegm
If you are missing an issue please email Julie - FourteenerMotoring@gmail.com. Please include your full name, since the subscriptions are organized by your name not your 914world screen name.
stevegm
Let me first say that I apologize for any distribution mixups, and if you are missing any issue, let us know and we will mail it to you. As I previously mentioned, we have had a number of distribution issues over the past year. The number of subscribers has grown faster than we could have imagined. We have spent the past month making key changes to adjust to meet that growth.

The subscription base is now large enough to be a mess if it is not organized correctly, but too small to get decent service from a distribution company. So I fired the distributor, and spent the past month bringing that aspect of it in-house. Moving forward Julie will be handling the database, and organizing the mailings. She has experience in the area, and I believe it will resolve the issues.

While the magazine is basically a breakeven endeavor (not including our time), we are committed to continuing it. I hope it adds value to the 914 community. To help make things run more smoothly we are making a number of changes in how we handle distribution:

1. As mentioned above we have moved distribution in house. Julie has taken this aspect over. If you have any questions about your subscription, or missed any issues, you can email her at - FourteenerMotoring@gmail.com. We will immediately mail you any issue you missed.
2. All of the subscriptions are now being managed in a magazine database system separate from the online sale/purchase system, which we previously relied on.
3. When someone subscribes they will receive an email that confirms their address, when they subscribed, and when they can expect their issues.
4. We will begin automatic renewals. However, that does not mean we will automatically bill anyone's credit card for a renewal. Rather, a bill will automatically be generated and emailed 1 month prior to the subscription expiring. 2 additional emails will be sent as a follow up, related to renewals.
5. I will post in 914world when each issue comes out. So you know the specific date it was released. We value the community here very much, both with respect to the magazine, as well as personally. I think posting a thread when a new issue is published will help everyone here know that their magazine is coming.
6. We publish four times a year - Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. But, the magazines are published at the end of the respective season. We initially set those dates so they could be timed to provide coverage of the major 914 events each year. That has caused confusion and makes the magazine look like it is always late (based on the season). So, we are considering how we can make a change in that to better reflect its timing.

In the next two weeks, Julie will be emailing everybody who's subscription has expired. We find that often someone not getting an issue is a result of their subscription having expired. Since we were not doing automatic renewals, this wasn't getting updated when the subscription expired. She is also contacting everybody that have indicated they are missing an issue, and making sure they have all of the magazines.

I hope these changes make distribution run more smoothly. I appreciate your patience. As always, any suggestions anyone has are welcome. We love input, and value your opinions.

UPDATE: March 30, 2017: As I have mentioned, we traditionally printed the magazine at the end of the season. So for example, the winter issue comes out at the end of winter. But this has caused some subscribers to think they were getting the issue mailed to them late. To solve this problem, we are shifting the date of the issues. It does not effect the number of magazines received or when subscribers receive them. It just means that the Spring issue will come out at the beginning of Spring, and so on.
Creamsicle New Zealand
Well done Steve and Julie its not easy doing something for nothing, some people like to complain maybe they should help you guys. Keep up the hard work I look forward to receiving further mags.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Mar 5 2017, 02:26 PM) *

Well done Steve and Julie its not easy doing something for nothing, some people like to complain maybe they should help you guys. Keep up the hard work I look forward to receiving further mags.

Hmmm, I paid $29 via PayPal, doesn't sound like nothing to me. Listen, I understand that this is hard, if you go back a few pages you'll see me defending Steve to another guy who was going off on not getting issues, so I get it. I've emailed the gmail account and hope that resolves the issue but I don't understand how if I'm paying for a product then I can reasonably expect to receive something in return. Now, if this was indeed a something for nothing, and maybe some of you are getting this for nothin, then okay. But $29 buck is a bit much for one issue.
Coondog
agree.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Mar 5 2017, 09:21 PM) *

Hmmm, I paid $29 via PayPal, doesn't sound like nothing to me. Listen, I understand that this is hard, if you go back a few pages you'll see me defending Steve to another guy who was going off on not getting issues, so I get it. I've emailed the gmail account and hope that resolves the issue but I don't understand how if I'm paying for a product then I can reasonably expect to receive something in return. Now, if this was indeed a something for nothing, and maybe some of you are getting this for nothin, then okay. But $29 buck is a bit much for one issue.

I agree. Everyone receives 4 issues in their subscription. If someone didn't get all 4 issues in their subscription, let us know and we will send them to you. We don't have any comp subscribers. We send extra issues to vendors. But all subscriptions are paid. I think the above post was referring to the fact that this is a nonprofit endeavor. But that doesn't change the fact that if you pay for a subscription you should get your issues. I take responsibility for our past problems. I will stand by it and make sure we make good on it. My post above just outlines the changes we have made, to resolve the distribution problems moving forward.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 5 2017, 09:31 PM) *

I agree. Everyone receives 4 issues in their subscription. If someone didn't get all 4 issues in their subscription, let us know and we will send them to you. We don't have any comp subscribers. We send extra issues to vendors. But all subscriptions are paid. I think the above post was referring to the fact that this is a nonprofit endeavor. But that doesn't change the fact that if you pay for a subscription you should get your issues. I take responsibility for our past problems. I will stand by it and make sure we make good on it. My post above just outlines the changes we have made, to resolve the distribution problems moving forward.

Thanks Steve, I sent a notice ti your gmail account, let me know if you need anything else
tumamilhem
I have not received an issue since Issue 6 Summer 2016. I am missing Autumn, Winter and now Spring (if out yet). Sent a few messages about this a while ago.
71six
On March 5 I received an invoice for renewal, on March 12 I renewed with PayPal, today March 22 I received an invoice for renewal once again. Please correct this error. Thank You,
Mark
stevegm
QUOTE(71six @ Mar 22 2017, 02:12 PM) *

On March 5 I received an invoice for renewal, on March 12 I renewed with PayPal, today March 22 I received an invoice for renewal once again. Please correct this error. Thank You,
Mark

I just sent your message to Julie. I know she's got the new system organized and working now. I will make sure she corrects it.
71six
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 22 2017, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(71six @ Mar 22 2017, 02:12 PM) *

Mark

I just sent your message to Julie. I know she's got the new system organized and working now. I will make sure she corrects it.

Thank You! smile.gif
stevegm
The next issue of Fourteener Motoring is mailing out. It took us a little extra time to get copyright permission on some of the photography. But, it was worth it. I think you will like this one.

- PMB Performance Feature
- 2017 Build-Off Challenge Round 1 results
- Werks Reunion East
- 356 Club of Southern California Swap and Show
- 1972 Project Car
- News
- Tech Tips

We spent considerable time implementing a new distribution tracking system, that we hope will take the kinks out. Also, like I mentioned about a month ago, we shifted the dates of the magazine. Previously, they were released at the end of each season - Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. But that caused considerable confusion because it made it seem like people were receiving it late when they weren't. So we shift the dates on them so that the "published date" coincides with the beginning of each season. So what would have been the winter 2017 issue (end of March) became the Spring issue (end of march). It doesn't change the number of issues a subscription receives, or when they get them. It just affected the season printed on the magazine, as the current issue became the spring issue. I hope that makes sense. :-)
Steve,
Did you use any of the pictures of the events/cars I sent you?
Alan
Coondog

Only received one issue a year ago......what's up ?? Even after you verified my info !!
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 5 2017, 10:31 PM) *

Have only received one Mag as yet, the Summer 2016 edition. I know I'm behind a couple. You had to get involved on the first issue sent as well. Can you help here ??

Kaeferfreund
#8 delivered yesterday! smilie_flagge6.gif
Thanks.

ConeDodger
Steve,
There's some guy named John Chesworth casting aspersions on your business acumen on Facebook Porsche 914 page. Apparently he subscribed and didn't get anything yet.
michael7810
I won a freebie subscription at WCR and have not received a copy
Andyrew
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Aug 27 2017, 05:19 PM) *

I believe he is waiting for the next issue to start that.
michael7810
OK thanks
buggvert
Hi Steve, forgive me if this seems curt, but I will be direct to the point.
Many of us have talked on different forms about what’s up with the lack of distribution of the magazine and seeming nonexistent replies to communication attempts. I for one have voiced my concern over your well-being, as I think many have also considered as a reason for no communication and no distribution.
So, now to the point. If you are not well, or are dealing with some life issue, and are unable to put the attention into the magazine, please formulate some statement here on 914 world, and ask us to disseminate that information. And if you need specific assistance with some certain things, again ask the forums. With all the horrible crap going on in the world right now, I think doing nice things for one another, is a nice diversion from all the worldly crap.
I like Michael’s idea of doing an annual or maybe twice a year publication. However I think that should probably sell for about $15 US, have about 6 segments, separated by advertisers who are preferably 914 resource providers, and gets distributed quickly.
I also like the idea of using Fourteenermotoring.com as a paid members forum to offer content to forum moderators for possible inclusion in the annual or twice yearly subscription publication. Else, the content posted on the site following approval.

All of this may be too far down the road for you to consider, if your having a “lock will “turn in the barrel”, which I hope you’re not, but we would like to know how you are and what’s up.
kgruen2
I signed up a while back. Haven't heard anything either.
second wind
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Aug 27 2017, 05:19 PM) *

Me too......wondering when I see the first one....thank you.
gg
Coondog
I quit asking.......... headbang.gif
SO.O.C914er
Yap I refused to sign up after seeing all this feedback and no publication idea.gif
Millerwelds
Received one issue..... Nothing since...
DRPHIL914
never received the last few- in fact i dint knowwhem the last published issue was! i jave not received pne this year- i believe i resubscribed laat year, got an issue at Okteenerfest last year(2016) and have not received another one since...
rmdinmd
I also gave up! I really liked the magazine but ....
sfrenck
Was a nice idea - but I gave up as well (though I did receive the issues I subscribed to after some "where are they" emails)
Big Len
Done with this also.
Millerwelds
Now I want a refund. Must be others out there wanting their money back too.
stevegm
After three years, we have decided to cease publication of Fourteener Motoring magazine. The decision is based on two considerations:

1. The number of 914s left made the pool of potential subscribers small. I had hoped we could make it sustainable. But I was unable to do so at the quality and price point that I wanted.
2. My work commitments increased for most of this year and prevented me from giving it the attention it deserved. My time has recently freed up some. But I still need to allocate my time carefully.

We are committed to providing a refund for issues not delivered. We have been computing that information and emailing subscribers. We are presently through the first 1/3 of the list. If you have not received an email, you should over the next month.

The reason I took a couple months to announce this was that we were in conversations with a few of the major 914 vendors to determine if they were interested in picking up the task of publishing the magazine. Ultimately, they decided it required more effort than they could expend on it. It never produced a profit. It was a labor of love. Since it has been in existence for three years, with an annual loss each year, it would have moved to a “hobby” on my taxes next year, which would not allow us to even deduct the expenses of printing and mailing it. Our decision was considered carefully, as I believe the 914 deserves a magazine. Our model just didn’t work. It is important to me, however, that we explain why it didn’t work. Maybe somebody with a better model than I will put something together for the 914 someday.

We also considered moving it to digital pdf. That, however, doesn’t reduce the approximately 32 hours it takes to design/write each issue. We also have considered moving it onto a website, which would cut down on the time nessasary to publish a print magazine. And that is still a possibility. But right now, the subscribers signed up for a print magazine. Therefore, we will issue refunds.

Thanks to everybody who supported the magazine.
SO.O.C914er
Sorry to hear that Steve. Thank you for your efforts on trying to make it happen smilie_pokal.gif
Coondog
The greatest 2 issues I ever received. Wish you good fortune in the future, please keep any monies owed to me.
Steve,
So sorry to hear.. I must admit it must of been a lot of work and time for each publication..Great Magazine for Us teeners.. What A loss..
BENBRO02
Any chance I can get a 2018 calendar instead of you sending me a magazine refund?
draperjojo
I ordered a subscription for my son, and he never received anything.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Nov 23 2017, 04:06 PM) *

Any chance I can get a 2018 calendar instead of you sending me a magazine refund?

I never got a response after asking this question and I never received any indication that my refund was coming. On November 2nd you posted it would be about a month to get the emails sent out about refunds. Any chance a refund is really coming?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.