Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 conversion wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I bought a 3.2 engine a long time back when I thought this would be quick. Now I am patching the wiring harness and find a jumper that is shown connected in the wiring diagram for kalifornian and Japan for pin 10 on the dme. Looks like you ground the pin low for the U.S. and disconnect for the rest of the world. I understand this influences the mapping. The harness came with the cable disconnected, like for ROW. I am inclined to leave it disconnected, have no smog test to pass, and wonder if that is a move that will not cause problems. I am very worried about the initial startup of a reclaimed engine, even if I have video showing it possibly running. So starting at this point is more important than performance. I can always change it.
Thanks. Now I have to start forming the oil tank...I hope.
r_towle
Not sure what you are talking about, but I have a stock 911 3.2 in my barn.

What wire, what color, where is it?
I will go look and see what is it like on mine.

Rich
speed metal army
Ha!Rich just started a sh!tstorm on Google I bet.. STock 911 3.2 + barn... LOL!
Worn, what year is the 3.2? I can go look at mine if needed.
EDIT: The single wire brown(I think) jumper? Leave that sucker unplugged.. From what I remember its not helping any when plugged in. Its an emissions thing that (If I recall correctly) affects HP a bit.
Mine is unplugged FWIW.
r_towle
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Dec 21 2014, 09:49 PM) *

Ha!Rich just started a sh!tstorm on Google I bet.. STock 911 3.2 + barn... LOL!
Worn, what year is the 3.2? I can go look at mine if needed.
EDIT: The single wire brown(I think) jumper? Leave that sucker unplugged.. From what I remember its not helping any when plugged in. Its an emissions thing that (If I recall correctly) affects HP a bit.
Mine is unplugged FWIW.

Great, exactly what I don't want, ever....
speed metal army
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ved-almost.html

This may help.(If its the jumper you are referring to)
Rich! How much for the Barn Find 3.2? biggrin.gif

Also ... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...html?perpage=20
r_towle
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Dec 21 2014, 10:15 PM) *

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ved-almost.html

This may help.(If its the jumper you are referring to)
Rich! How much for the Barn Find 3.2? biggrin.gif

Sorry, been my regular porsche since I started putting the flares on the teener, so it's not going anywhere for a long time, it's my fun toy. It's a stock original with 235k on the original motor, but if you want to give me 100k cash, I will co cider letting it go.
Mike Bellis
On my 911 the jumper was on the DME harness plug. I noticed no difference in performance whether plugged or unplugged. It was a bullet connector on a loop right at the plug. Not in the DME.
worn
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 21 2014, 09:05 PM) *

On my 911 the jumper was on the DME harness plug. I noticed no difference in performance whether plugged or unplugged. It was a bullet connector on a loop right at the plug. Not in the DME.

Exactly. I looked at the Pelican and Rennlist posts, but it almost seems like we have more 3.2s than they do. Consensus is to leave the little wire from the DME unplugged, so I will. I just finished up mending the broken wires from when they pulled the harness from the donor.

Sort of related the motor is from an '84 that also gave up its suspension. But the DME has sharpie marks indicating it came from a working '88 (dark blue). I figure they oughta play nice. Is that reasonable to assume? Torn about where the DME should go. A lot put it behind the passenger, but Mike Wills had a nice one set up in the back trunk. I am wondering why not between the two seats on the firewall?
r_towle
keeping it dry and unharmed would be best.

There is a guy who makes hotrod chips for the 3.2, might be 911chip.com
might not be.
Its Steve Wong I think.

Anyways, he has alot of info on the 3.2 wiring, DME all of it.
He also has some good info on he controller and the differences.
You need to know about this guy...he is the guru

You will need to tune it, set the base fuel settings etc..
If you are just doing a simple transplant and it ran in the other car, touch nothing.

There are a few sensors that have shitty wiring, O2 is one of them, speed sensors also...all of that has documented simple solutions on Pelican.

If you get his chip and remove the cat, things can be interesting.
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 22 2014, 10:12 AM) *

might not be.
Its Steve Wong I think.

If you are just doing a simple transplant and it ran in the other car, touch nothing.

There are a few sensors that have shitty wiring, O2 is one of them, speed sensors also...all of that has documented simple solutions on Pelican.

Thanks Rich,

I like the idea of the catalytic converter because it saved us when all was lost with what was eventually an elegant solution. But since I am running headers...

Am thinking of gutting and reworking the 911 muffler that came with. Not sure if I will pull it off though.

Thanks, I had heard of the Wong chips. I think it will be interesting just stock. It will be a narrow body with perhaps the baseball bat treatment. I am hoping for sleeper, but I doubt I will still be able to convince my friends at autocross that I haven't touched the 1.7. Actually it is still stock, just no longer residing in the car. rolleyes.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 22 2014, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 22 2014, 10:12 AM) *

might not be.
Its Steve Wong I think.

Thanks Rich,

I like the idea of the catalytic converter because it saved us when all was lost with what was eventually an elegant solution. But since I am running headers...

Am thinking of gutting and reworking the 911 muffler that came with. Not sure if I will pull it off though.

Thanks, I had heard of the Wong chips. I think it will be interesting just stock. It will be a narrow body with perhaps the baseball bat treatment. I am hoping for sleeper, but I doubt I will still be able to convince my friends at autocross that I haven't touched the 1.7. Actually it is still stock, just no longer residing in the car. rolleyes.gif

Steve Wong site has lots of detailed articles you want to read.

Rich
larryM
the single brown ground is for CA emissions cars - leave it unplugged
jim912928
Do a search on my site name....jim912928...I did a thread on wiring a 3.2 and some on how I did the fuel system. Here is the url for the wiring:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7&hl=wiring
GulleyGulley
Save yourself a lot of time & headaches & checkout the wiring harness from Patrick Motorsports. Makes the wiring much easier.
jim912928
I also used the PMS wiring harness...that made connecting the 3.2l engine harness to the 914 wiring harness easy. In my thread it's how to wire up the DME, Tach etc. along with all the pinnouts and different wires marked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.